• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW vs AE

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
Can someone please tell me the differences between the AE and the AW?

I have been reading some treads, but is the accuracy equal?

Would you buy the 20 or 24" barrel?

Its for 600m-900m range work.

What is the AW worth the extra cash for the man in the street?

Re: AI AW vs AE

Have had both and accuracy is the the same. Pretty much EVERY AI rifle shoots lights out. The average shooter will be just fine with the AE.

The primary difference is in the action, safety mechanism, and magazine system. The AW has a flat action with integral recoil lug and is epoxied into the chassis, the AE has a more standard recoil lug and is bolted to the chassis with action screws. The AW has a 3 position safety as well as a double stack mag system, AE is a single stack mag (5 rnds vs. 10) with a two position safety. As far as accuracy goes, both are built with similar components and will offer similar accuracy, you cant go wrong either way.

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

AW mag well top
Picture006.jpg

AE bolt top
Picture005.jpg

Two small differences that get overlooked:

1. AE MK II loads to max mag length of c2.85 vs MK I and AW which can load much longer

2. AW chasis can be upgraded to the AX, it likely you won't be able to with the AE

20" is fine for that distance

So then I will drop my self build remington 700 sps with an AICS stock since the AI AE is actually cheaper in norway.

Then the question is:
20" or 24" barrel
What kind of glass?

The ones that I can get a hold of without to much effort is the Nightforce 3-15x50 with the MLR reticele for 2500usd and the IOR 3,5-18x50 with MOA, which is more expensive in norway at 3000usd.

Any oppinions and other scopes would be apreciated

I prefer the 20" barrel for a more compact platform and will get you to 900m w/o issue. Also if you add a suppressor the 20" will obviously be more compact.

Not the forum for glass but I'd opt for Nightforce over the IOR based on historical reliability. I'll take reliability over clarity anytime. In your same price range you could look at the Vortex Razor, but being the new kid on the block there isn't much history.

Cheers,
Hawk