• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI ax 338 vs surgeon ax 338?

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
FL
I might have the opportunity to pick one of these up. I am curious of the pros and cons of both?

So if you were going to get a 338, which would it be? I know there are lots and lots of other options. I have other rifles but nothing in 338lm.

If anyone can shine some light on this decision it would be greatly appreciated.

The AI is a factory rifle built by a relatively larger company. The Surgeon is more of a semi-custom build by a boutique shop. The AI has has tri-lug, 60 degree bolt throw, while the Surgeon XL is a beefed up 90 degree 2 lug design. The AI may be more likely to provide long term support, but who the heck knows for sure. Both are probably equal in terms of weight and quality.

I would go with whichever one meets your time and price requirements the best.

Personally I would go with the American made Surgeon and keep like minded folks in this country employed. Quality wise, you cant go wrong with either.

Thanks for the info guys. Only complaint I had with the surgeon is it has a very heavy barrel! But then again this is not a rifle you would want to hike with much!

Cannot go wrong with either one. I would vote with money. Which one is cheaper and save the money for supply. But some one asked me before, if you can spend $5k on a 338lm, why not reload. Sorry, I am mot that advanced on reload yet. So I just go with blackhill.

Thanks for the info guys. Only complaint I had with the surgeon is it has a very heavy barrel! But then again this is not a rifle you would want to hike with much!

Neither of the rifles will be light. AIs are built in a sturdy chassis. These are not meant to be hunting rifles. They are big, heavy magnums designed for relatively extended firing sessions. A heavy barrel is what you want.

Easy ,

AI , nothing else comes remotely close , thats not what you wanted to hear .
On the AI , the whole rifle has been designed and built my one company , also , 10rd double stack/feed mag , and a very beefy action , with a larger than std barrel thread dia .

Later Chris

Please post pics when acquired. Good choice IMO.

Will do. As luck would have it, my FFL holder leaves for the Kentucky Derby early tomorrow and my rifle will arrive tomorrow as well. Will pick it up Monday. I acquired a certificate for a $1,000.00 off from a hide member back in January which makes this purchase even sweeter. Krieger barrels is also a local business and happy they benefit from this purchase as well. I went with the AX option.

The AI is a factory rifle built by a relatively larger company. The Surgeon is more of a semi-custom build by a boutique shop. The AI has has tri-lug, 60 degree bolt throw, while the Surgeon XL is a beefed up 90 degree 2 lug design. The AI may be more likely to provide long term support, but who the heck knows for sure. Both are probably equal in terms of weight and quality.

I would go with whichever one meets your time and price requirements the best.

this is not entirely accurate. AI has been on the verge of bankrupcy more than once. also do some research as to how many guns AI and Surgeon each make. the numbers would surprise you. not knocking AI, they are awesome guns.

Went with a Surgeon in 300 Norma, and it was the best move I've ever made. I can not believe how consistently accurate it is. Surgeon built, 1581xl, Kreiger, Manners.

I have a Surgeon and an AI. There is no replacing the AI. Both are fantastic rifles but the AI is just a different experience. Either one will be tremendously accurate and serve you well.

IMO, the Surgeon XL is the most awesome action ever made.

30 moa integral pic rail and recoil lug says it all for me. I never could get used to 60 degree bolt throw on AI's and would rather have a 19oz single stage trigger.

With the price of Surgeons these days Id rather just go with the real deal instead of a AICS + Surgeon or some such. AI`s actions and rifles overall are damn near bulletproof. Not saying the Surgeons and other R700 derivatives aint just as tough as AI`s are, but the AI`s have been tested and proven.

I definitely would jump at the chance to own a Badger M2013 + AICS built by GAP or one of the other top-notch guys though. I would jump at the chance to own any GAP-built rifle for that matter. When I think of AI though, the first thing that comes to mind is "the toughest g*dd@mn rifle on the planet". Again, not saying the others aint tough, hell a Mosin Nagant is just as tough as a AI, but its the fact that it doesnt need to be proven, it already is a known quantity. Not to mention its gonna be a shooter, and they always have some new innovative stuff in the works.

I have a number of rifles , AI AWs & AX338 etc , as well as custom rifles built with Surgeon actions & Badger M2008 actions , and I can tell you , that NOTHING compares to my AI rifles , and in simple terms , THAT means NOTHING .

And I know you Yanks , HATE that , But I have no counrty bias , so for me its a British made AI rifle thats quite simply the BEST , end of story .

Later Chris

I have a number of rifles , AI AWs & AX338 etc , as well as custom rifles built with Surgeon actions & Badger M2008 actions , and I can tell you , that NOTHING compares to my AI rifles , and in simple terms , THAT means NOTHING .

And I know you Yanks , HATE that , But I have no counrty bias , so for me its a British made AI rifle thats quite simply the BEST , end of story .

Later Chris

This, it's night and day. The AI is a purpose built rifle from the ground up and runs flawlessly. Nothing runs like an AI.

From my limited experience of using some of the SWS out there , here are my picks for rifles that are next BEST , IF you cannot / will not run a AI .

In 308 class , its a OLD school Parker Hale M85 , uses a M14 mag , cutdown to 10rds
In 338 class , 1st is the PGW Twolf , 2nd the Sako TRG-42 .

The M85 is NOT available new any more , stopped making them around the end of 1989ish , so 2nd hand ONLY for that one .
The other 338s are still made , be aware that they are NOT 10rd double feed like the AX338 .

I will say that you are best served with a AI rifle that comes closest to your needs , and IF you need a cal not made by AI , then re-barrel witha top tube .
In short slightly customise a AI rifle , maybe you will use a different cal/ barrel lenght / barrel profile , maybe a custom bipod of the likes of a revolution on the AX series , and maybe different scope mounting options , and thats IT , move ON .

I am fully aware this is not what MOST want too hear , I too for a LONG time , said AI are too expensive , and custom builds where the way to get the perfect RIFLE , did that for too LONG , and its WRONG and in correct , just like building the perfect 10/22 rifle , by putting customs parts on it , ie replacing almost everything , you are BETTER served by saving up , buying a Volquartsen , thats when you really look at it , again , not what most want to hear .
My experience has been expensive and long , and it boils down too , just saving UP , and buying a AI rifle , and forgetting about everything else .

ME , my AX338 , its going to be modied slightly , with a heavier profiled barrel , maybe fluted Bartlein in 338LM , maybe std or an inche or 2 longer than the std 27inche , looking at trying to use a Revolution type bipod on it as well , and thats about IT .

Later Chris

Strongly suggest the Drake Assoc Stalker
Cadex chassis, McMillan Action
VERY accurate rifle. I'm blown away by it.

If you cut out bias, you will have more attitude.

Then nothing beat AI if you want those chassic.

Original vs Copy

Design by yourself.

Later Chris

I'll go ahead and correct you here......nothing compares to a AI rifle....with a GAP barrel :)

Can you repeat that, in English this time?

What's up? It's clearly describe.

If you do not like AI, just get out of their chassic design and buy whatever american made you want. Don't be bias from origin country. Clearly?

It was personal prefer, not everyone.