• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ai ax

gunwacked

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2012
OK , so I am ready to bite the bullet and purchase my dream gun. I have decided on an Accuracy International AX 20" bbl in .308win. I will soon buy a proof research 20 " bbl in 6.5 creedmore. Before I spend 7K plus I would appreciate any input, criticism, suggestions. Thank you in advance.

I started with the scope. I purchased a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PM ll. I just don't want to overlook anything that I should consider.

A perfect scope for the rifle at hand. A quality bipod and as much ammo you can get and you are well on your way.

Reactions: tnichols
Did you get the scope mount as well?

A Spuhr SP-4002 would fit perfect or an SP-4302 if you need the extra 10.3 moa

I bought one in 6.5cm. Love it. Accurate and reliable. Put a S&B 5-25 then a Kahles 6-24 now running a TT. They all work great but just a matter of preference. Buy the rifle, play with the glass till you find what you like.
Great weapon!

Personally I would get a 26" barrel for more velocity. It's already going to be a heavy gun. Otherwise great choice of rifle and optic!

Go longer for your 6.5 barrel and i would suggest going with a non carbon barrel.
Go ahead and order the comp trigger when you order the rifle.
Plan on ordering a couple of extra mags
Think about what accessories you may want/need like a bipod, sling, ...etc. Order it all at the same time (if financially feasable). Then you as rent stuck waiting around for one part or another and you can just start enjoying the entire system from day 1.

I've got that rifle, and I found a deal on a proof 26" barrel in 6.5cm and I put the longer hand guard off the axmc on it. It's a great system. You should be very happy with it. If you get the rifle in 6.5cm initially you'll have an additional barrel to start off with or one that is more desirable to resell. I haven't found a lot of difference in handling between the 24" and 26" except when you throw a suppressor on it or the shear weight difference between the proof and the steel barrel. Personally, I'm planning to get a shorter 6.5cm barrel for my suppressor option since this rifle switches between barrels so easily. I want to try an 18" 6.5cm for goofing around purposes.

While I'm but a lowly AT owner, I've owned or been loaned countless custom rifles, DTA's, etc. for various purposes over the years. Besides possibly joining the AX or AXMC ranks one day, I wouldn't have anything I've previously owned over my AT. They just flat out work, and work extremely well.

I'd also skip 308 and get a 24" 6.5 barrel. Shoot it out then decide what you do and don't like about it for your next barrel.

20" 6.5 Proof on mine, I run a can at all times so the 20" made it nice. I get 2800fps with 130's and 2700 with 140's so I'm really not losing anything by going short. I had a 24" Bartlein creedmoor barrel on my other AI and with the same loads I'm only 50fps difference. Every barrel is different though, the Proof on mine is obviously faster than average.
By the way, the bare rifle with S&B mounted is at 14 pounds even and balances like a dream. I absolutely love the Proof carbons!
20160407_174133_resized.jpg

20" 6.5 Proof on mine, I run a can at all times so the 20" made it nice. I get 2800fps with 130's and 2700 with 140's so I'm really not losing anything by going short. I had a 24" Bartlein creedmoor barrel on my other AI and with the same loads I'm only 50fps difference. Every barrel is different though, the Proof on mine is obviously faster than average.
By the way, the bare rifle with S&B mounted is at 14 pounds even and balances like a dream. I absolutely love the Proof carbons!
View attachment 6938251
WOW!!

AX-vs-AXMC My impression of a MC is that it would have a longer bolt throw to accommodate the magnum calibers. I may later purchase a MC for 300 WM and 338 LM, but this gun will only be fed 308 and 6.5cm.

I love the idea of the spuhr mount.

Please tell me more about the comp trigger!!

Did you get the scope mount as well?

A Spuhr SP-4002 would fit perfect or an SP-4302 if you need the extra 10.3 moa

The 4302 is the correct mount to make full use of the S&B 5-25x56. It also aligns spot on for a PVS30 on the AXMC 30 MOA rail.

OK , so I am ready to bite the bullet and purchase my dream gun. I have decided on an Accuracy International AX 20" bbl in .308win. I will soon buy a proof research 20 " bbl in 6.5 creedmore. Before I spend 7K plus I would appreciate any input, criticism, suggestions. Thank you in advance.

If getting new, make sure you get the one with the small firing pin since you will be doing 6.5CM, you don't have to have it, but all things being equal, you might as well get it.

My suggestion is to not bother with the 20" .308 barrel unless you really want that barrel.
Get it with the 26" threaded 6.5CM barrel instead assuming similar cost.
You can get .308 barrels cheaply on the forum here all the time that people take off to put on a 6.5CM barrel
Plus a new 6.5CM take off barrel will sell a lot quicker than the .308 barrels.

Then when actually going to buy, I have a couple suggestions:
1. Get a quote from Mile High shooting (New & Demo if available)
2. Get a quote from EuroOptic and ask them what discount they can offer for eCheck (bank transfer) or check payment
3. Hunt around on the forum here and find what the best deal you can get is (usually you can find something in the $5k to $6k range, there are at least a couple up for sale right now). Make some offers of what you think it is worth it to you over the best cost new.

Decide what offers you the best value for what you want. Brand new with a pristine 26" 6.5CM threaded barrel that you can use or sell, is probably at least a $600 value.

If you are going new, take a look at the new Elite Sand colour, it's really nice. (Light greyish like wet sand on the beach).

I'd say shoot it with the factory trigger and then decide if you would like to spend the $400 for the competition trigger. The factory trigger breaks at around 3.5 pounds, but the competition one lets you do single stage as well as 1.5 pounds or less. So for dedicated match / range work, it's a nice idea.

Make sure to adjust the trigger shoe to be at the perfect point for your finger joint, it will make a lot of difference in your comfort.
Dedicate the better part of a range day to specifically setting up the rifle & scope to feel perfect for your body & your shooting position. It is well worth the time spent.

What are your opinions of the Spurh QDP -vs- the SP ?

I have no use for a QD mount on an AI as I am not trying to break it down into a small case. However, I will say that if you are consistent in torque settings and bolt pattern, you’re 'on paper’ to say the least when you pull it off and put it back on.

Add one more thought - I had a great transaction here on the hide for an MC action only. I bought the bolt / barrel / mags. Find someone that will deal on what you want, and complete it yourself.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Get it set up exactly the way you want right from the beginning. Spuhr mount is a must, I personally wouldn’t opt for the QR.

If getting new, make sure you get the one with the small firing pin since you will be doing 6.5CM, you don't have to have it, but all things being equal, you might as well get it.

My suggestion is to not bother with the 20" .308 barrel unless you really want that barrel.
Get it with the 26" threaded 6.5CM barrel instead assuming similar cost.
You can get .308 barrels cheaply on the forum here all the time that people take off to put on a 6.5CM barrel
Plus a new 6.5CM take off barrel will sell a lot quicker than the .308 barrels.

Then when actually going to buy, I have a couple suggestions:
1. Get a quote from Mile High shooting (New & Demo if available)
2. Get a quote from EuroOptic and ask them what discount they can offer for eCheck (bank transfer) or check payment
3. Hunt around on the forum here and find what the best deal you can get is (usually you can find something in the $5k to $6k range, there are at least a couple up for sale right now). Make some offers of what you think it is worth it to you over the best cost new.

Decide what offers you the best value for what you want. Brand new with a pristine 26" 6.5CM threaded barrel that you can use or sell, is probably at least a $600 value.

If you are going new, take a look at the new Elite Sand colour, it's really nice. (Light greyish like wet sand on the beach).

I'd say shoot it with the factory trigger and then decide if you would like to spend the $400 for the competition trigger. The factory trigger breaks at around 3.5 pounds, but the competition one lets you do single stage as well as 1.5 pounds or less. So for dedicated match / range work, it's a nice idea.

Make sure to adjust the trigger shoe to be at the perfect point for your finger joint, it will make a lot of difference in your comfort.
Dedicate the better part of a range day to specifically setting up the rifle & scope to feel perfect for your body & your shooting position. It is well worth the time spent.
Great advice right here. ^. It is worth reading again.
Euro treated me right on a demo and shipped it quick.
image.jpg

Bought a ax with the 24" 6.5 cm barrel from mile high earlier this year. Best built rifle Ive ever owned. Will probably buy the axmc in a few years to go along with it.