• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AX308MC Range Report and Initial Impression

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I've been super fortunate to have been running an AXMC for the past couple of days and it has been absolutely fantastic. If you're thinking about getting one, stop thinking and order it, it lives up to the hype. This one is currently setup in 6.5CM and it runs the same load my AE Mk III in 6.5CM did with outstanding results. With my limited testing so far, switching from 6.5CM to .308 resulted in an approximate .2 mil horizontal shift at 100yds. I've already gone back and forth between calibers a half a dozen times or more and it's sick how fast and easy it is to change the barrel/caliber.

I've only had my hands on it for a couple of days, but my shoulder/collar bone are already sore from shooting it so much. :) I have an AE Mk III that I said I'd never replace, but guess what. It just got replaced. I've had zero issues with the AX so far and based on my experience with my Mk III, I seriously doubt any will arise with this beauty. AI, as usual, has knocked it out of the park.

E_zps5574cc39.jpg

D_zps7ecc4d9e.jpg

Did my workup and had the load nailed down after 20rds (42.6gr were rounds 16-20). Shot prone, bipod/rear bag.
IMG_1801_zps936a0bbf.jpg

600yd group today with a .2 to .3 mil wind hold. Shot prone, bipod/rear bag.
IMG_1805_zps0ab2270c.jpg

You're not helping me much ;)
I hope to be able to order one by the end of the year. What length hand guard and barrel are you running?

Congrats sir, that is one great rig. I sure love those AXMC's. With AI turning out the AT and AXMC it makes it hard to believe how they can improve on that in the future.

Still patiently waiting for my FDE to arrive at Mile High with 260 and 308 conversions. You lucky devil. If your shoulder hurts you need a good muzzle brake or suppressor set up. Can shoot my DTA all day up to 338LM without any shoulder issues. Enjoy and thanks for the report!!!

May I ask how much the caliber conversion cost? Is it all AI or did Mile High source the second caliber for you?

Thanks!!

The barrel is a 24" AI/Bartlein barrel. I had paid for it a long, long time ago and just asked that they hold it until I got my hands on the AX. I don't remember the exact price I paid, but I want to say around $800. I can look for the old invoice when I get home tonight.

Muzzle brake is for sure planned as I've put a brake on everything I've owned. They had this one ready, I needed to get drop data before the grass reclaimed my shooting spot, so I asked them to send it and I would get it threaded later.

The barrel is a 24" AI/Bartlein barrel. I had paid for it a long, long time ago and just asked that they hold it until I got my hands on the AX. I don't remember the exact price I paid, but I want to say around $800. I can look for the old invoice when I get home tonight.

Muzzle brake is for sure planned as I've put a brake on everything I've owned. They had this one ready, I needed to get drop data before the grass reclaimed my shooting spot, so I asked them to send it and I would get it threaded later.

Thanks. That's good enough.

This is beyond tempting. So with the .308 system you can only swap between .308 bolt face options, and with the magnum you can do the same between say 300wm and 338lm?

gotcha, so it's S/A vs L/A(while L/A can cover S/A, and not vice versa)

Just a note, The Magnum action works perfect with the S/A conversion bits in it. I rock and rolled on the mover stage in a class a few weeks ago with it. I actually think it runs better with the S/A conversion than it does when the 300wm parts are in it.

Very nice! Where did you get yours from? I didn't think the Pale Browns made it to the US yet. I keep waiting for a call from MH.

Mt AT goes up .5 and LT .2 when I take the 26" 6 creedmore off and put the suppressed 20"308 barrel on. Kinda Nice Aint It, changing in less than 1.5 min :)

I was about to say... I didn't think the tan ones were out yet. Kinda cool they had a scope mount to match. Your rail looks longer then my black version also ?

Yeah, this is an earlier anodized one with a 16" tube I believe.

Sorry SF615, I don't work for AI or have any info on when they'll be in.

Damn, I was within a couple months of putting a scope on a new ai mk3 I picked up during Christmas. Now I think I should sell the rifle and add it to the scope fund for this rifle lol.

Possibly Jon, but I'm not 100% sure it was this rifle. I know Scott and Todd were both running rifles basically identical to this one.

i've been super fortunate to have been running an axmc for the past couple of days and it has been absolutely fantastic. If you're thinking about getting one, stop thinking and order it, it lives up to the hype. This one is currently setup in 6.5cm and it runs the same load my ae mk iii in 6.5cm did with outstanding results. With my limited testing so far, switching from 6.5cm to .308 resulted in an approximate .2 mil horizontal shift at 100yds. I've already gone back and forth between calibers a half a dozen times or more and it's sick how fast and easy it is to change the barrel/caliber.

I've only had my hands on it for a couple of days, but my shoulder/collar bone are already sore from shooting it so much. :) i have an ae mk iii that i said i'd never replace, but guess what. It just got replaced. I've had zero issues with the ax so far and based on my experience with my mk iii, i seriously doubt any will arise with this beauty. Ai, as usual, has knocked it out of the park.

e_zps5574cc39.jpg

d_zps7ecc4d9e.jpg

did my workup and had the load nailed down after 20rds (42.6gr were rounds 16-20). Shot prone, bipod/rear bag.
img_1801_zps936a0bbf.jpg

600yd group today with a .2 to .3 mil wind hold. Shot prone, bipod/rear bag.
img_1805_zps0ab2270c.jpg

140 a max ?

Gorgeous set-up and sweet shooting. You sir, are what I refer to as a "dirty bastard!" ;)

140 a max ?

Yep, 140gr AMAX, 42.6gr H4350, Fed210M primer, Hornady case, loaded to 2.800" COAL.

Thanks malsa. :) I'm already getting used to the names as the two guys shooting with me told me they hated me right after I shot that group haha

Hi Tom,

Any news on the .338 to .308 conversion kits ?

We are waiting for AX308 bolts which fit the AXMC I will advise on status after I get back to UK later this week.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International