• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AI AXMC ISSUE

jp67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2006
Into the wild
Hello
I just received a new barrel in 260 rem for my AXMC from AI UK
I tried to mount the barrel to the action but there is something wrong.
When the barrel is screwed all the way, a cartridge cannot be chambered neither a Forster field gauge1.638.
To chamber I have to unscrew the barrel , is it correct? Any idea?
Thanks

I'de call the guy you bought the barrel from and let him own/solve the problem.

If you take the barrel off and insert a piece of 260 brass into the chamber of the barrel, does the brass go in so that 100% of the case wall is inside the chamber with only the taper and rim exposed? a 6.5 chamber is like a whole .057shorter than a 260 chamber from shoulder datum to base if I remember correctly so it it is in fact a 6.5 barrel a piece of 260 brass should stick out a ways from the chamber.

Last edited:
Black barrel on left is AIAW
Tan is the AXMC barrel
Both are in 260 rem
Brass is FLS for both
Can you tell the difference?

Attachments

• IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7411.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 124
Eyeballing the pic is tough and adding to it the chamfered edge inside the chamberon the left hand barrel makes it deceiving. If you have calipers, use the depth end and measure the distance from the breech face to the top of the case head and they should be the same. We are talking .07" difference if they are close then they are both chambered for 260 and your problem lies somewhere else. Next I would suspect that the chamber may be cut correctly but the tenon thread length was cut incorrectly possibly.

Eyeballing the pic is tough and adding to it the chamfered edge inside the chamberon the left hand barrel makes it deceiving. If you have calipers, use the depth end and measure the distance from the breech face to the top of the case head and they should be the same. We are talking .07" difference if they are close then they are both chambered for 260 and your problem lies somewhere else. Next I would suspect that the chamber may be cut correctly but the tenon thread length was cut incorrectly possibly.

Ok, so I measured both barrels with the same piece of brass from the breech face to the top of the case head
AIAW : 0.137"
AXMC : 0.148"
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Just to be sure. Are you using a SAMI specs or factory brass? Because in the OP you say the cartridge and the Field gauge does not chamber and that's exactly what you will expect with a Field gauge (to Not close) . Did you test with a Go Gauge?

Last edited:
FLS with what measures? For testing the headspace you need a Go Gauge or at least a factory brass (unfired brass at SAMI specs) or a FLS brass at SAMI specs (measures)

I had a similar problem with a .243 Win AI barrel that I purchased from EuroOptic a few weeks ago. Returned it and they sent it to AI for evaluation. Neither of us heard anything back so they refunded me in full since it was the only one they had. Reordered an identical barrel (same part number) from Mile High and it worked and chambered perfectly.

Have no idea what was wrong with the first barrel but the bolt would only about 80% close. Never in a million years expected an AI-medallion barrel to be out-of-spec but I guess @#$% happens. Luckily it was promptly taken care of by EuroOptic and I'm now good-to-go with the replacement I ordered.

Try it with new brass or factory ammo and see if it chambers. Headspace is prob different on each barrel

i tried never fired Remington brass and they are difficult to chamber (harder than my AW in 260, no comparaison) but they do.
i tried with the same Remington brass fired once and Full Lenght Sized, they are very very difficult to chamber (needs a lot of effort)
i do not know how i can re-use this brass once fired. Too difficult to chamber in the rifle.
They are trimmed at the correct lenght 51.50mm

I also noticed that the once fired brass are dented at the mouth ( see picture). there seem to be material inside the barrel.

I have never experienced such a thing with the AW in the same caliber.

Attachments

• dented at the mouth.JPG
    dented at the mouth.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7429.JPG
    IMG_7429.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
i tried never fired Remington brass and they are difficult to chamber (harder than my AW in 260, no comparaison) but they do.
i tried with the same Remington brass fired once and Full Lenght Sized, they are very very difficult to chamber (needs a lot of effort)
i do not know how i can re-use this brass once fired. Too difficult to chamber in the rifle.
They are trimmed at the correct lenght 51.50mm

I also noticed that the once fired brass are dented at the mouth ( see picture). there seem to be material inside the barrel.

I have never experienced such a thing with the AW in the same caliber.

Each rifle chamber is unique but it should be inside of SAMI specs. Once fired brass from one rifle does not have to fit in another rifle. That's why SAMI specs exists. When you FLS brass you are supposedly resizing the brass back to SAMI specs but the reloader needs to make meassures (brass lengh, shoulder lenght, neck tension, etc) in order to size that once fired brass to those specifications. In other words you can use SAMI specs brass in all chambers of the same caliber but you can't use once fire brass on all chambers. You don't even need to FLS your fired brass for using it again in the chamber it was fired, that's why sometimes we just neck size the brass we are shooting again in the same rifle.
I really recommend you to find a good reloading manual to read and a GO Gauge to check your new AI barrel headspace after a throughout barre and chamberl cleaning.

Thanks but this never fired brass are very difficult to chamber anyway and that ‘ s not normal to me

How about you skip trying to use brass as a short cut and just get an actual go gauge?

Do you know where that new brass is in respect to the saami spec? Because in some aspects it can be up to .015 of buffer.

1537989073014.png

Reactions: b6graham
When in doubt consult a reputable gunsmith or acquire, borrow headspace gauges for the caliber in question. Very simple process to do yourself with the gauges specially on a AX barrel, easy on easy off.

Thanks but this never fired brass are very difficult to chamber anyway and that ‘ s not normal to me

While all the above suggestions about checking things are helpful, I think it's pretty clear that something was not done correctly when the barrel was made.

AI barrels usually have fairly forgiving chambers.

If you can't easily put in a fresh new piece of brass (especially when your other barrel will let it drop in just fine), I'm going to go with somebody messed up while making that barrel & you need to send it back to them for a new one or for it to be fixed.