• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXSR & Barrett MRAD - Reason for both?

Sammieiii

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2021
Austin, TX
Hi all - I’m new to the forum and somewhat new to long range. I’ve been parting down the safe this year and to make a long story short, I’ve ended up with a new AI AXSR (300WM) and Barrett MRAD (338LP).

my question is: is there any practical reason to have both or would I save myself a lot of $$ by picking out the one I like best and selling the other?

Thank you guys in advance.

Sammie

I would personally kick one out of the safe. But thats me. That is why I bought an AXMC was to get rid of a few extra rifles I feel I didn’t need. But that’s my opinion and I know others will disagree.

You could save money buy not buying something, but you already have both so its to late to save money. Your question rather should be: should I sell one to put the money in something else? What is the something else you would buy? They may have lost some value when you took them out of the store, but (assuming you have protected them from corrosion) they are not loosing further money sitting in your safe. On the other hand if you take the value out of one and place it into savings I think inflation will exceed interest making either rifle a better investment.

But if you need to sell one to get money for an optic for the other along with a reloading setup then I would have it listed.

Reactions: Sammieiii
You could save money buy not buying something, but you already have both so its to late to save money. Your question rather should be: should I sell one to put the money in something else? What is the something else you would buy? They may have lost some value when you took them out of the store, but (assuming you have protected them from corrosion) they are not loosing further money sitting in your safe. On the other hand if you take the value out of one and place it into savings I think inflation will exceed interest making either rifle a better investment.

But if you need to sell one to get money for an optic for the other along with a reloading setup then I would have it listed.
Good points - I’m not concerned with inflation or losing some $$ because they were driven off the lot. I’m more curious is there a reason to have two or am I essentially keeping two very similar guns that I’ll gravitate towards the one I like each time.

both rifles are multicaliber capable. so honestly unless you have a need or want to have two of the best of two very similiar rifles. Id pick your favorite and complete the kit. multiple calibers, tripod, transit case, nightvision/thermal... etc. since you already admitted youll likely just levitate towards which ever you like more.... might as well make that one you like more the best/ most capable it can be.

If it were me, I'd look at which of the manufacturer's has the best customer service/parts. With demand for these two rifles, spare parts along with the amount of time to receive them, might be something to look at.

Good points - I’m not concerned with inflation or losing some $$ because they were driven off the lot. I’m more curious is there a reason to have two or am I essentially keeping two very similar guns that I’ll gravitate towards the one I like each time.
That's why I have both MRAD & AI. The gravitation is a slow process.

If your into plinking and shooting squirrels then keep the AI , if your worried about when SHTF then diffidently keep the Barrett if you want to stay alive.

While I don't have either of the those rifles, but i have been considering one of those two for my next bolt gun. I really don't think that you are gaining anything a ton chosing one over the other. I think that the AI probably has more aftermarket support since they have been around a lot longer. With its adoption by the DoD, I think that will eventually even out.

Me personally I think I am leaning towards the mrad as for as much as I like AI, I think they are getting a little silly with their pricing, For example,

4500 for the AT. Cool
7500 for the AXSA, and you get a 1200 dollar chassis
9500 for the SR, and you get a lower that can take AR grips

I am being a bit hyperbolic but i think 6 grand for the MRAD is fair.

If I could have one rifle in my life it would be a AI AXSR or AXMC

These first world problems can really get you down 😁

If it was me I’d keep them until I found a preference or wanted $$ for an optic or other upgrade. Then I’d dump one. Otherwise I’d keep both honestly

Sounds like $ isn't a concern.

Keep both. Or at a minimum, as diverdon said, time may eventually tell you which to part with. No rush.

There's several members here with multiple AIs (more similar than rifles from 2 different manufacturers), so capability overlap isn't something we're allergic to. :D

Hi all - I’m new to the forum and somewhat new to long range. I’ve been parting down the safe this year and to make a long story short, I’ve ended up with a new AI AXSR (300WM) and Barrett MRAD (338LP).

my question is: is there any practical reason to have both or would I save myself a lot of $$ by picking out the one I like best and selling the other?

Thank you guys in advance.

Sammie
I had a similar issue, and ended up selling some other rarely used rifles, to buy barrel kits for my MRAD. I have barrels now in 6.5-CM, .308-Win, .300-WM, .300-PRC, and .338-LM. Enjoy shooting all of them ... so it ended up to be a good decision. Freed up lots of room in the rifle safe too.

I just heard this weekend from a solid source that Barrett has a 12-24 month backlog of orders from military concerns. They will be distributing few if any weapons through the civilian channels. IMHO If you have an MRAD keep it if you want one and can find it in stock buy it now.

I just heard this weekend from a solid source that Barrett has a 12-24 month backlog of orders from military concerns. They will be distributing few if any weapons through the civilian channels. IMHO If you have an MRAD keep it if you want one and can find it in stock buy it now.
Good advice !!! I wonder if barrel kits will continue to be hard to find. Glad I got all mine before the "squeeze".

One reason to keep both would be when you go to the range you can alternate between rifles. Shoot the MRAD some and then, while you’re waiting for the MRAD’s barrel to cool, shoot the AI. Rinse and repeat.

This is all great advice and very much appreciated! I think I may hang on to both and rotate them as some of you suggested. I’ve got a couple other rifles I can offload to clear room and use the change to buy the calibers from Barrett or AI.

I’m really looking forward to shooting both and practicing/expanding what little knowledge I have on LR rifles.

Thank you guys for your thoughts!

sammie

Reactions: Claluja
I cannot give advice on the MRAD as I don not have one nor shot one. I'm partial to AI and have 2 AXMC's one to shoot short action and one long action calibers.

I would personally kick one out of the safe. But thats me. That is why I bought an AXMC was to get rid of a few extra rifles I feel I didn’t need. But that’s my opinion and I know others will disagree.
I agree with you. I took a similar route

MRAD is a great system just not enough aftermarket support with barrel.
I don't disagree, but considering barret does make barrel maker kits, as well as Proof making CF barrels, I am not sure much more after market support is really needed to pretty much run any barrel/caliber combo one desires. I am not sure what the availability of these kits are at the moment but just like how there are a number of smiths out there that are doing LMT mrp/mws conversions is no issues, eventually we will see smiths doing there own conversions.

I really like both system, and really could not fault anyone for chose one over the other,

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I am pretty sure that one of my friends was on the test, the next time i talk to him, ill see what he knows. I know that he was really impressed with it but didnt really get into any details. If I has to wager, based on the last decade of the DoD making selections, the down selected guns were probably pretty close in performance and the winner was probably selected based on user group preference. Same thing happened with the CSASS and M2010 Chassis.

So I had someone come along and buy the MRAD which pretty much got me out of it for my cost. Now, for no other reason whatsoever, I’m bluesin’ when I don’t see it in my safe.

I’ve got the AI AXSR as my keeper but now my LGS conveniently got an MRAD in stock. Is there any reason I need to get the MRAD or does this remorse go away?

thank you all,
Sammie

So I had someone come along and buy the MRAD which pretty much got me out of it for my cost. Now, for no other reason whatsoever, I’m bluesin’ when I don’t see it in my safe.

I’ve got the AI AXSR as my keeper but now my LGS conveniently got an MRAD in stock. Is there any reason I need to get the MRAD or does this remorse go away?

thank you all,
Sammie
You broke up with your girl grow some balls and dont go crawlin back. the other girl is better anyways.

Easy for me to say as I’ve never sold a gun (my issues), but it seems you have a duplication and the money would be better spent on barrels, optics, ammo, etc.

I love my MRAD (and all 5 barrels) enough to not give I shit that I don't own an AI.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Keep the one that makes you smile most.
I have 3 rifles.
Tikka 6.5 Super Varmint, my everyday feral basher.
SAKO TRG 22 .308
My birthday present to myself years ago, absolutely no regrets.
AI .338 Lapua Magnum.
My " let's fuck shit up at a distance" rifle.
From camels to car wrecks.... so much fun!
You could sell one of yours and get more shiny things for the rifle you keep.

I currently have a DT SRS (another switch barrel rifle) and yet I am looking for a AI AT to try. Whatever one is more comfortable will win a spot in my life and the loser will get sold. Go shoot them both and see what one feels better or puts a bigger smile on your face.

It makes sense to keep both if they fit different roles, but that isn't exactly the situation here with switch barrel rifles.

I currently have a DT SRS (another switch barrel rifle) and yet I am looking for a AI AT to try. Whatever one is more comfortable will win a spot in my life and the loser will get sold. Go shoot them both and see what one feels better or puts a bigger smile on your face.

It makes sense to keep both if they fit different roles, but that isn't exactly the situation here with switch barrel rifles.

I also want to try the DT. Currently have the AIAT but willing to try a MRAD or DT. When you migrate into these “top tier” rifles the build quality really is eye opening

I absolutely love my AIAT. Didn’t buy the DT just because of the location of the bolt (bull pup design). I want to upgrade my 300 WM eventually and am torn between getting a DT or MRAD and keeping the AIAT. Or ditching the AIAT and a few others for one “top tier” AXSR or AXMC with a TT, ZCO or NF 7-35 ATACR

I also want to try the DT.
You either love or hate the bullpup. I love it. Highly recommend everyone at least try it if ever given the chance. I wouldn't exactly say the build quality is show piece quality, but it is very attractive from the engineering perspective.

BUT I bought it before the switch barrel thing was common/reliable. At the time of my DT purchase, the shouldered barrels returning to zero was commonly rumored but rarely consistent case to case as we didn't have actions like the TL3 or AI AT. Now I want to try a traditional formatted package that can be broken down when not in use. I only *need* short action.

In your situation, the MRAD would give you the most versatility as you gain SA/LA over the AI and a traditional format compared to the DT. Based off that, I would go MRAD first. Now if you dislike shooting the MRAD, then that opens the doors for trying other options like the AXSR. I tried one option and am now experimenting with another.

**Update** I had some guns I never shot, took them in and traded with the owner, who is a good friend. I was able to come out pretty dang well on the trade...sooo, I did what any logical person would do. I bought the MRAD (again). This time it has the longer barrel in 338. Already have the optics, etc to put on it. Too hard to pass up. Now I'm back to where I started and just added a lot of stress. Time to unwind and shoot the hell out of these guns and enjoy them for what they are.

**Update** I had some guns I never shot, took them in and traded with the owner, who is a good friend. I was able to come out pretty dang well on the trade...sooo, I did what any logical person would do. I bought the MRAD (again). This time it has the longer barrel in 338. Already have the optics, etc to put on it. Too hard to pass up. Now I'm back to where I started and just added a lot of stress. Time to unwind and shoot the hell out of these guns and enjoy them for what they are.

Excellent choice.

Hell, I'd get a few of each. Not decide which one I'd be getting rid of. Never sell my firearms. :)