• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Comp Trigger

Jeffd

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Curious if anyone on the forum has installed and tried out the new AI Competition trigger and your thoughts?
Thanks

Mine comes today. Felt another one at a match and it felt very nice. I know that’s not the extensive review you’re probably looking for but my first impression was very good.

Reactions: Jeffd
The new AI trigger is made by XTSP and is similar to the CG Mod 22 (heck it probably is just modified a touch). The CG22 is one of the only triggers that I consider to be better than the AI triggers.

The wall b/w 1st and 2nd stages, even when set very light, is very defined. Tom makes an amazing product.

Reactions: Jeffd
My buddy got his installed yesterday and I played with it for quite a while. I am saving up for an AI starting now because of how good it felt to me. My current favorite trigger is my cg mod 22 and it felt very similar, as I'm sure isn't surprising.

Loving mine so far. It's set pretty damn light from the factory but break is nice.

Better then the Tubb trigger I just installed on my trainer.

Reactions: Stevo3556
I received and installed two today. They ship with a ton of travel in the first stage, but it’s easy enough to reduce. Only inconvenience is you have to have the trigger removed to adjust the first stage travel, which I didn’t figure out until after installing it.

That’s the only adjustment I had to make. Both triggers break right at 12oz out of the box (checked with a Timney gauge) and feel amazing. Very crisp and clean. Not much over travel. Very excited to get to the range with these.

Picked up mine from the FedEx shop this morning. Installed in 20 minutes. All I can say is WOW.

Very similar feel to my Anschutz 2 stage. I don't have a pull gauge but I would think the 1.25# factory setting is an accurate description. Have to wait until Friday for some range time but did a bit of dry firing. It is sweet. I just used the "as shipped" configuration. Made no adjustments.

Reactions: FatBoy
Picked up mine from the FedEx shop this morning. Installed in 20 minutes. All I can say is WOW.

Very similar feel to my Anschutz 2 stage. I don't have a pull gauge but I would think the 1.25# factory setting is an accurate description. Have to wait until Friday for some range time but did a bit of dry firing. It is sweet. I just used the "as shipped" configuration. Made no adjustments.

That's interesting. It seems like different people are getting triggers with different weights out of the box. Mine was sub-8oz (6oz 1st stage, 2oz 2nd stage) and took a bit of adjusting to get it back up to 1.25# range. I emailed around (Mile High, AINA, and CG Triggers) and no one could explain why mine was so light out of the box. I have a basic Timney spring trigger gauge, but I confirmed with some other known triggers along with picking up a 1lb weight, and the gauge was spot on.

You could be right. I don't have a gauge. The Anschutz custom shop gave me the data on that trigger and it "feels" similar.

I am going to shoot it as is and then determine if I will adjust. If I do, then I am going to get a gauge.

Any recommendations on a good gauge?

I'm sure the digital gauges are better than the spring one I've got, but I could never justify buying a new one. Then again, all of my triggers up to this point have been factory/service triggers. Even the Geissele triggers I have and the OG factory AI trigger are all 3+ lbs, so I didn't have any need to measure pulls in the ounces range. I did have a TT Diamond for a while, and the spring gauge could easily resolve the pull weight being ~1 lb +/- an ounce or two.

I received 2 triggers and both of mine had approx. 8 OZ on 1st stage and approx. 6 OZ on the second stage out of the box. Also had to take out a lot of OT.

Reactions: tennturk
Mine arrived in the mail today. Did not install it yet. It mentions in the manual that there its supposed to come with a heavy and light trigger spring. The light spring is installed already. The heavier one is supposed to be in the package. Did you guys receive a heavier spring because I did not with mine.

Mine arrived in the mail today. Did not install it yet. It mentions in the manual that there its supposed to come with a heavy and light trigger spring. The light spring is installed already. The heavier one is supposed to be in the package. Did you guys receive a heavier spring because I did not with mine.
Yes, mine came with the heavy spring in a small ziplock bag, along with the two Allen keys. It says the heavy spring yields a minimum pull weight of 1.5# so I will likely never install it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BullzeyeNJ
All I can say is WOW...

I am really liking this trigger. I had to adjust the OT a touch but very little. It is pretty much as light as my Annie's two stage trigger. Crisp and clean break which is incredibly repeatable. As much as I loved the original, this is a big hit for me.

What does everyone else think?

Reactions: kthomas
All I can say is WOW...

I am really liking this trigger. I had to adjust the OT a touch but very little. It is pretty much as light as my Annie's two stage trigger. Crisp and clean break which is incredibly repeatable. As much as I loved the original, this is a big hit for me.

Installed mine a few days ago. Both stages were really light out of the bag. Increased the first stage pull but left the second stage pull alone at about 8 oz. went to the range and it was way too light for me. Unnerving range session just waiting for a misfire or at least anticipating one. Took it apart and did more adjustments. My overtravel was fine. I increased the weight of the 1st and 2nd stages and decreased my pre-travel. Will go out this weekend and see if that is the right combination for me. So far I like the amount of customization I have with this trigger. The standard AI trigger gave me minimal. Also, the factory trigger on my AX308 has long pre-travel with good oevertravle and my AXMC has more desirable short pre-travel but a lot of overtravel. Weird. So my only answer may be to buy two of these competition triggers.

I got out to the range today for a practice session to try out the new Comp trigger for the first time. Currently have it adjusted to approximately 1.25#, or 10oz/10oz for 1st and 2nd stage weights.

I have to say, this trigger is pretty incredible and made me feel like a stud off barricades for the first time. I’ve never been able to free-recoil with this kind of consistency, let alone shoot such small groups from any kind of barricade. Even with my thumb rest, I always felt like I was fighting the 3# pull in the “wobble zone” of a barricade, now I’m not consciously thinking about when to break the trigger since it’s so much lighter. The break is so crisp as well, there’s no vagueness or creep whatsoever - you know exactly when it’s going to break.

Disclaimer- my local range is under construction so all I have access to are 70yd temporary ranges. Even so, I’m feeling extremely confident that the typical 2MOA barricade targets at most matches will be significantly easier for me now.
74017599-BAED-4688-B078-D8FCF191447A.jpeg
B3BE841D-F636-43C3-9F12-8B3AEE5602A9.jpeg
FFF429D3-1758-46EE-A128-6E2668D7E282.jpeg
10C43D21-EF09-4E3E-B853-6D76F07AE8B2.jpeg
065C7543-BFE4-4507-B3A6-7B6444CECDA0.jpeg
E72D6160-A411-4511-9121-3ED3A730102D.jpeg

Reactions: Jcutlip55 and Trek
I got out to the range today for a practice session to try out the new Comp trigger for the first time. Currently have it adjusted to approximately 1.25#, or 10oz/10oz for 1st and 2nd stage weights.

I have to say, this trigger is pretty incredible and made me feel like a stud off barricades for the first time. I’ve never been able to free-recoil with this kind of consistency, let alone shoot such small groups from any kind of barricade. Even with my thumb rest, I always felt like I was fighting the 3# pull in the “wobble zone” of a barricade, now I’m not consciously thinking about when to break the trigger since it’s so much lighter. The break is so crisp as well, there’s no vagueness or creep whatsoever - you know exactly when it’s going to break.

Disclaimer- my local range is under construction so all I have access to are 70yd temporary ranges. Even so, I’m feeling extremely confident that the typical 2MOA barricade targets at most matches will be significantly easier for me now.
View attachment 6929230View attachment 6929231View attachment 6929232View attachment 6929233View attachment 6929234View attachment 6929235

Yo

What type of pad do you have on your cheekpiece?

1. The new trigger is awesome. Such an upgrade.

2. I rarely see a lefty AX and I love it. I haven’t seen one other than mine in the wild.

3. When is that thumb rest coming??? ?

View attachment 6929230View attachment 6929231View attachment 6929232View attachment 6929233View attachment 6929234View attachment 6929235

1. The new trigger is awesome. Such an upgrade.

2. I rarely see a lefty AX and I love it. I haven’t seen one other than mine in the wild.

3. When is that thumb rest coming??? ?

The thumb rest is coming...soon. The final design has been with the printer for a while now. Unfortunately their machine went down for a bit and they are finalizing the settings and hopefully working on the first batch. It’s a little out of my hands right now, but once I get the go ahead that they’re making parts, I’ll start taking orders.

All I can say is WOW...

Purchased 4 already! Love them!

For anyone running an older AW and stock skins you will need to Dremel out the back portion of the trigger hole of the skins to allow the trigger to function. Required about 1/4" to work properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sig Marine