• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI CS w/Viperskins vs. AX

Spot-on

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
I'm considering an AI chassis. I don't like the thumbhole stock design so am considering the AICS stock and then add Viper Skins, or go with the AIAX chassis. What would be the ultimate differences - pros/cons? This would be a short action (.260). Are there any AI mags that would work in either chassis?

Both chassis with the same skins will have the same trigger pull and ergonomics in the buttstock and grip area. The AX has a free float tube and will require taller rings, which has been a big negative for me, I prefer optics to be mounted as low as possible. Both are solid chassis and will serve you well. If you plan in running night vision or other accessories, the AX rail will come in handy, otherwise I would personally go with the AICS and swap the skins.

Kirk R

Both chassis with the same skins will have the same trigger pull and ergonomics in the buttstock and grip area. The AX has a free float tube and will require taller rings, which has been a big negative for me, I prefer optics to be mounted as low as possible. Both are solid chassis and will serve you well. If you plan in running night vision or other accessories, the AX rail will come in handy, otherwise I would personally go with the AICS and swap the skins.

Kirk R

What advantage do you feel the scope being mounted low offers you?

OP:

I much prefer the AX to the AICS with Viper skins. The grip of the Viper skin just isn't quite as comfortable. Note, you can get AICS pistol grip skins from AI now, too. It will be the same as the AX skins on the back half. However, if you can afford it, get the AX and don't look back. It offers a ton of mounting options, the barrel is fully shrouded and you can rest it anywhere on a barricade. Also the bipod mounts up closer to the bore that way.

I much prefer the AX to the AICS with Viper skins. The grip of the Viper skin just isn't quite as comfortable.

I am on the other end, I find the viperskins grip to be more comfortable than the AI grip.

One of the benefits of the AX chassis over the AICS would be the ability to use a pic rail tripod mounting option via the tube. With the AICS you are pretty much limited to a Saddle type tripod mount as the CG point and Anshutz rail is too far forward on the AICS. But thats only if you are considering/want a pic mounted tripod option.

If you plan on running NV gear you will need about 1.5" of height to line everything up so I don't see there being an issue with the AX or AICS, you just have to know what pieces of gear you need to make it all work together but that is more of a ring/mount issue than a chassis issue. The AX does give you more real estate above the barrel to mount stuff if thats one of your needs/requirements. With the AICS, you will have to buy a mount.

Both are good choices either way but which one better suits your intended use/needs will be the deciding factor that pushes one over the other, IMO.

A couple of questions which arose from this discussion:

1. How much higher are the required AX rings vs. the AICS? Are we talking 1/8", 1". or ???
2. Would the AX free float tube help with barrel heat mirage, or is there no difference?

understood tyler, I have had a handful of AI AWs, AEs, and AICS chassis, all adjustable. Again, its personal preference, just like some prefer the pistol grip and some prefer the thumbhole, or some like traditional stocks and cant get used to the AI chassis, all personal preference.

A couple of questions which arose from this discussion:

1. How much higher are the required AX rings vs. the AICS? Are we talking 1/8", 1". or ???
2. Would the AX free float tube help with barrel heat mirage, or is there no difference?

Scope height would be approximately 1/2" taller to allow the objective to clear the FF tube. The FF tube on the AX does little to help with mirage because the majority of the barrel is still exposed in front of the optic.

I was considering an AX, but really wanted a left-handed rifle. I ended up with a lefty AW with Viperskins. I had some prior exposure to the AICS and went into this set on trying the Viperskins/pistol grip. I certainly like the rifle and the Viperskins make the rifle much more comfortable (to me).

The elevated rail height of the AX and bipod mounting (underside rail, I preferred a spigot mount) were also considerations based on my subjective preferences (and admittedly very limited experience). The availability of the lefty AW was the primary consideration in my case.

Victor Company makes great products, and we are fortunate to have them and their products in the shooting community.

How long is the fore-end tube on the AX? I'm thinking of a 24" barrel -- how much barrel would stick out?

And, I'm planning to jury rig some sort of cloth/elastic strip to run over the barrel from the muzzle brake under the fore end to the receiver. Not sure yet how to attach this thing, but the idea would be to block heat from rising up into the optics' field of view.

How long is the fore-end tube on the AX? I'm thinking of a 24" barrel -- how much barrel would stick out?

And, I'm planning to jury rig some sort of cloth/elastic strip to run over the barrel from the muzzle brake under the fore end to the receiver. Not sure yet how to attach this thing, but the idea would be to block heat from rising up into the optics' field of view.

I can see you've done your research....the SA comes with a 13" tube, the LA comes with a 16" tube and you can buy the AI mirage band for $23 and save yourself the jerry rigging, unless of course you meant jury, in which case thats a federal offense and I'd recommend you don't do that. :)

Unless you are going to use laser designators, illuminators or all the other stuff the super secret guys use then why go with the AX? I mean unless you just want to spend the money for the latest greatest why not just get the AICS? If you plan on using NV and need all the other goodies that go along with it then you can get a Badger type front rail and mount it on your chassis. The need for higher rings is a deal breaker for me plus needing the newer magazines too. I guess I am a little biased....

Unless you are going to use laser designators, illuminators or all the other stuff the super secret guys use then why go with the AX?

You get more mounting options for your sling, bipod, etc. Furthermore, you can slam that tube anywhere you want around barricades, etc without fear. Also you can use flush cups. The bipod also mounts closer to the bore and if using an Atlas, it stows away tightly to the tube for a lower profile. The ergonomics are preferred by some, including myself. I guess I'm also biased hahaha

You get more mounting options for your sling, bipod, etc. Furthermore, you can slam that tube anywhere you want around barricades, etc without fear. Also you can use flush cups. The bipod also mounts closer to the bore and if using an Atlas, it stows away tightly to the tube for a lower profile. The ergonomics are preferred by some, including myself. I guess I'm also biased hahaha

You can use flush cups with a viperskinned AICS. And the viper skins stock has provided me no issues when slamming it against a barricade. I'm not sure that the lower profile is really all that true in comparison with the spigot mount. With the spigot mount the Atlas legs can actually get so close to the barrel that they partially occupy some of the same space that the tube would. So thats technically lower profile and physically smaller in the end.

~Brett

Having had both a standard AE and an AX, Sure seems to me the profile is much lower on the AX and you can rest it quite a bit closer to the barrel. If it works for you, roll, but I'll gladly say the advantage is to the AX having run them both.

Hrm... When I had a chance to compare I'd not really give an advantage for lower profile. The two main advantages I'd give AX were in weight (I think but I wasn't sure) and that the bipod was further out made shots more stable. However that being said it made leg length adjustments a longer reach. Every benefit comes with a trade off. Personally I was more comfortable with the Vipersins pistol grip feel and the fact that it had adjustable palm swells. Not to mention that the AICS can be had in a non folder if you wish. For me two thumbscrews and the cheek piece is off which is really easy for cleaning. That coupled with when you add the Victorcompany accustack risers putting your cheek piece exactly back where you had it takes literally 5 seconds. I'd say its just as fast as a folder for cleaning. When it comes to storing it in a bag or what not I usually just throw it in the truck as is. If I can set it on something padded then great. If not meh oh well. So fitting it into a smaller rifle cozy or whatnot isn't something I was concerned with. I mainly went without the folder to save on price and weight and didn't see any real trade off once you add the accustack system to your comb.

~Brett