• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI equipment, I need some help

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    I posted this in the equipment section, I will drop it here as well.........

I've got a new AI inbound, supposed to be delivered on Wednesday. I will b e wanting to mount a bipod on. this rifle, and from what I know I will need a spigot to mount the bipod. Someone please help me out, and let me know what I need to mount a bipod on this rifle.

I would prefer a mount that would let me mount a picatinny rail type bipod that I already own.........what is the best mount available?

I am not concerned about weight, but want something that I could hook an Atlas, Harris, or Elite Iron bipod to and be happy with the results.

There are quite a few different manufactures out there, what is the best?

If it's an AXSA it will have pic rails to use the bipod you already have. I use most of the time a harris on mine. If I use the pic rail to connect I also use a cadex and atlas bipod. Just today I tried out a thunder beast and so far it seems better then the harris and atlas.

20200629_150728.jpg

Last edited:
    A new AT will have a rail on the bottom with a quick disconnect stud. So, a harris will work with that.

It sounds like you would prefer a piece of pic rail on the bottom of the forend. You could buy an AI part to do that. But like everything AI its kinda expensive.

You might be able to just get a piece of pic rail and drill & tap a couple holes to mount it.

Congrats on the AT. You'll love it. Even though it's the least expensive AI rifle, it's nice. I've got one and love it.

-- Todd

Check these out, it’s a spigot that replaces the factory “block” inside the square forend tube. I designed it a few years ago and there are quite a few in use across the country.

Anarchy Outdoors sells them HERE. Available in both picatinny in RRS dovetail (Arca Swiss).

4F464645-7B5E-4DF3-8034-45B54CC48CF3.jpeg

Check these out, it’s a spigot that replaces the factory “block” inside the square forend tube. I designed it a few years ago and there are quite a few in use across the country.

Anarchy Outdoors sells them HERE. Available in both picatinny in RRS dovetail (Arca Swiss).

View attachment 7362898

That looks very familiar!

Absolutely love mine
    5F5CB5E2-D71C-41CB-AECC-CF7E36657F95.jpeg

For the AT, it does. Has key slots on the front end so you can add an AI pic rail.

That ^^^^ from @hic28 pic, is for the legacy AICS. Which has MLOK slots to add a MLOK pic rail if so desired

View attachment 7362898
    This is the best option. It is super solid compared to using the existing spigot which can never be tightened to provide a solid interface.

Doesn't look like that one would fit a pic rail........
    The link is for the AT with 7 key slot bottom.

the picture is showing the 3 recesses where the MLOk pic rail can be added

Now that looks good. Is it in there solid? Never cared for the AI bipod, always too much wobble for me.

Solid as a rock. No wobble

I believe this is the exact rifle @samb300 posted above. The rifle has made its way to its final owner...me 😎

Last edited:
    Reactions: BuLLet
    Now that looks good. Is it in there solid? Never cared for the AI bipod, always too much wobble for me.
    Yes. It installs by removing the factory “block” and replacing it with the spigot mount. It uses the two 8mm roll pins and two flat head screws. There’s even an AE/AW/AICS variant that works on rifles up to the AW50. It’s solid.

Reactions: BuLLet
    I like the fact that it gets the bipod further out towards the muzzle. Also the original is useless for bipod use :)

Coming from an old school AI guy mind you :)

View attachment 7362898

Definitely the way to go. As I said in another thread(I believe the OPs as well).

Here is a pic of mine but with my Harris on the swivel mount that comes with the AT. I don’t have a good pic of the mount with my atlas on it.

Attachments

• 9FC2CAA2-9F1E-4CD3-9F0F-80330F8CD1BF.jpeg
      9FC2CAA2-9F1E-4CD3-9F0F-80330F8CD1BF.jpeg
      426.9 KB · Views: 93
    • 6FC8AA7F-5656-45FA-8142-79619D032CB6.jpeg
      6FC8AA7F-5656-45FA-8142-79619D032CB6.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 107
    Another vote for the spigot mount from samb300 sold through Anarchy Outdoors. I have had mine on my rifle for years and it has been perfect. Keep in mind that not only does it put the bipod a little further out, it also doesn't make the rifle "taller" by stacking more things under the already tall forend.

If you are a "thumb on the side" shooter like me, I would also snap up one of the thumb rests as well. Super comfortable!

Thumb Rest

I love my pre Anarchy Outdoors spigot mount.

I even bought a spare from samb300 just in case he never made more of them prior to the Anarchy Outdoors deal.

preview

Reactions: Voyager1
    I have his thumb rest on the gun pictured above also. Absolutely love that as well. I shoot with thumb along the side of the rifle vs wrapping the thumb hole stock grip

Reactions: Crabcore
    Wha

what type of tripod is that?

These are the items below in the links from hog saddle. Works awesome. Very sturdy. I run the arca on most guns including the AI. Didn’t have on during this pic which is why it’s sitting in the pig saddle. The saddle works alright but it’s nicer just direct arca mounting. This setup isn’t as light as some of the carbon fiber models out there but I’m not moving much with it either. Have dropped several deer out to 500 yds from the sitting position with this setup. Really like it

Who sells 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel replacements for my AI? Mine says Lothar but I see primarily Winchester Tactical, (manufactured by Bartlein), Kreiger, Gradous etc?

Attachments

• 5DDF7CAC-6770-4979-B5BC-3DD9E604EB10.jpeg
      5DDF7CAC-6770-4979-B5BC-3DD9E604EB10.jpeg
      854.6 KB · Views: 45
    These are the items below in the links from hog saddle. Works awesome. Very sturdy. I run the arca on most guns including the AI. Didn’t have on during this pic which is why it’s sitting in the pig saddle. The saddle works alright but it’s nicer just direct arca mounting. This setup isn’t as light as some of the carbon fiber models out there but I’m not moving much with it either. Have dropped several deer out to 500 yds from the sitting position with this setup. Really like it

Outstanding setup! Mine is different but I want to get one for my dad so I’ll probably give him mine and look at your set up! Looks great!

Reactions: hafejd30

A tripod and ball head that I can actually justify...thanks!!!

Reactions: hafejd30
    You ask an importnat question. There are a great many AI shooters out there, some will be better shots than others. Some because they are better trained and are simply better shots. Some because they have balanced the harmonics of their rifle, ammunition and muzzle brake/moderator. I shot better, had more consistent groups and generally have myself a point and shoot rifle to 1000yds because I changed the Atlas bipod setup so many shooters use. It did not feel sturdy enough, the balled feet rolled on ranges, felt loose against the spigot and stock and I knew it was the one aspect of the setup that was not 'rock solid'. I shoot .30 and .260 through this rifle.
    I looked at 50CAL MG skid mounts and similar as they seemed 'very sturdy', but clearly overkill and too heavy. The original mounts on the L96A1 (Green Meanie) I was trained on had skid mounts; my mind drifted off Harris too, but there are many others. In the end I settled on this solid mount from Fortmeier. I have the Type B, I cannot fault it it is solidly built, no slack just clean tight german engineering. On ranges these mounts simply glide under recoil. My shooting is tighter, am more confident and get higher scores; I have only changed the bipod. As an experienced field, range and former operational shooter I would not recommend anything else. If cost is an issue, there is of course the obvious 'pay once, cry once' philosophy, but and more straightforward than even that. You've just spent $5-7k on an AI and scope....
    Hope that helps.
    See:
    Also
    Bought mine from Phoenix as am UK based.

Attachments

• 1593687504925.png
      1593687504925.png
      1,023 bytes · Views: 31
    You ask an importnat question. There are a great many AI shooters out there, some will be better shots than others. Some because they are better trained and are simply better shots. Some because they have balanced the harmonics of their rifle, ammunition and muzzle brake/moderator. I shot better, had more consistent groups and generally have myself a point and shoot rifle to 1000yds because I changed the Atlas bipod setup so many shooters use. It did not feel sturdy enough, the balled feet rolled on ranges, felt loose against the spigot and stock and I knew it was the one aspect of the setup that was not 'rock solid'. I shoot .30 and .260 through this rifle.
    I looked at 50CAL MG skid mounts and similar as they seemed 'very sturdy', but clearly overkill and too heavy. The original mounts on the L96A1 (Green Meanie) I was trained on had skid mounts; my mind drifted off Harris too, but there are many others. In the end I settled on this solid mount from Fortmeier. I have the Type B, I cannot fault it it is solidly built, no slack just clean tight german engineering. On ranges these mounts simply glide under recoil. My shooting is tighter, am more confident and get higher scores; I have only changed the bipod. As an experienced field, range and former operational shooter I would not recommend anything else. If cost is an issue, there is of course the obvious 'pay once, cry once' philosophy, but and more straightforward than even that. You've just spent $5-7k on an AI and scope....
    Hope that helps.
    See:
    Also

I run an Atlas CAL on my AIAT. Rock solid and the legs do not rotate. With hawk hill feet it’s stays put and just shreds the ground if I twist/push/pull the rifle across the ground. Atlas Supercal would probably be better yet but the regular cal is solid

Reactions: RS14
    Hope that helps.
    See:
    Also
    I really like your writing style. Analytical but not over the top. Good stuff and thank you for providing insight.

Who sells 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel replacements for my AI? Mine says Lothar but I see primarily Winchester Tactical, (manufactured by Bartlein), Kreiger, Gradous etc?

Mile High has Win Tac and 6.5 Proof barrels in stock. The Win Tac barrels are the OEM barrels for the AX/AXMC. I'd call them as their website doesn't always show what's actually in stock. They can spin up a barrel for you as well and typically have 6.5 Bartlein blanks in stock.

Lothar Walther has supplied barrel blanks to AI who chambers them in the UK. Win Tac has nothing to do with Winchester, Win is a combination of the founders last names and is owned by AI. Bartein doesn't manufacture these barrels but supplies the blanks that are used for the barrels supplied on the AX, AXMC, and AXSR.

BT72-NC super CAL Atlas Bipod

Attachments

• 99158884_790540698019783_3877109919182225408_o.jpg
      99158884_790540698019783_3877109919182225408_o.jpg
      601.5 KB · Views: 60
    I really like your writing style. Analytical but not over the top. Good stuff and thank you for providing insight.
    Pleasure, the one change I'd make is "...can only recommend 'against the bipods I've used'...because of course there are many others. Skids do seem to be the order of the day though.

I have a .308 AI AT with one of these bipods:

Excellent bipod

Attachments

• AI AT_.JPG
      AI AT_.JPG
      341.5 KB · Views: 68

View attachment 7362898

Yea, I have a little bit of a problem knocking rollpins out of a gun I haven't even shot yet............looks like a solid platform........I'm kinda looking at the Elite Iron set up with one of their bipods......

Yea, I have a little bit of a problem knocking rollpins out of a gun I haven't even shot yet............looks like a solid platform........I'm kinda looking at the Elite Iron set up with one of their bipods......
    The EI bipods are pretty sweet from what I’ve seen, especially if you’re mainly going to shoot prone.

The best thing about the bipod spigot is it’s not permanent, and the two roll pins and two QD cups are all that need to be removed and reinstalled. If you think knocking out two roll pins is going too far on a new AI, you don’t want to know the dirty things I’ve done to mine haha