• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI factory stock skins VS Viperskins?

I was never too good at maths...but it looks like the answer is $40 and a different profile/palm swell on the Viperskins? As far as I recall both can take the side rails now?

FWIW, if the AI sides are the same as the last set of thumbhole sides I bought for my AW, then look at the Viperskins. Fit on the AI set I got was "approximate"...not pretty if you like things to line up precisely, but functional. Maybe things are better on these newer ones?

Fit and finish on the cheek risers I got from Michael at Victor Co was very good.

Last edited:
I prefer the viper skins due to the fact I could get a XL palm swell. The do seem to have a better fit as well if you have an issue with the standard fit.

Viperskins all the way. A definite improvement over the AI skins and additional options that you cant get from AI like QD cups, pic rails, 2 different buttstock options, palm swells, etc.

I have both and love them both but having to pick one I would go with the Viper Skins. The fit/finish is a bit better and there are attachments for the sides to add rails so you can use flush cups. There is nothing wrong with the AICS though and I use both extensively.

Attachments

• 20130629_190716-1_resized_1.jpg
    20130629_190716-1_resized_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20130702_140225-1_resized.jpg
    20130702_140225-1_resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
I don't like the grip on either of them and prefer the grip on the thumb hole but others hate it and like the AI pistol grip or viperskins. It's one of those things that you should try both and determine which you like more.

I love my Viperskins with the V2 buttstock. Only down side or problem I have noticed with my set is that the color on the main stock sides doesn't match the buttstock. Not to big of a deal, but it does bother me.

I prefer the viper skins due to the fact I could get a XL palm swell. The do seem to have a better fit as well if you have an issue with the standard fit.

i got my AI today, HATE the thumbhole... my god i have no idea why they even sell it like that...

anyway, i need to increase the distance from my trigger to the web of my hand...

i assume the trigger dont move front to back like a TRG?..

does the XL grip on the viper do this, or is it just thicker in the palm?

right now, if i grip the gun, the trigger is on my 2nd joint.. :(

its like the skinny ass AR factory grips

17.png

right now, if i grip the gun, the trigger is on my 2nd joint..

Sorry if this comes off wrong but have you tried adjusting the buttstock distance by adding a spacer? It sounds like the butstock length needs to be lengthened. The larger grip swell will do just that, give you a fatter surface to grip, it won't affect the the length of pull on the gun. Also keep in mind the proper finger position when on the trigger and the 90 degree angle to the bore that is desired for proper trigger pull. I can insert my finger up to the 2nd knuckle on just about all rifles with a pistol grip, just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

To test to see if your length of pull is adequate, place the buttstock in the crook of your elbow while gripping the pistol grip. You should be able to properly place you finger on the trigger while doing this. If you cant do that or the buttstock isn't in the crook of your elbow while gripping the pistol grip you need to adjust the length of pull by adding/subtracting a spacer to the buttstock as needed.

2r2m9gx.jpg

Ring, had the same problem with trigger reach with a remage and thumbhole aics. Ordered the viperskins with xl grip, it fit perfect, tip odf trigger finger always lands naturally on the trigger shoe. The bonus is the viperskins make the stock look like quality the forend has a slight beavertail shape and the plastic has a nice pebble texture. In my opinion the viperskins are worth 2-3x as much as the ai skins, just in quality and fit.

This is exactly the problem I have...I got the Viperskins with the regular grip, but with my long fingers I could use a thicker grip.

Maybe something like a Hogue Hand-all? Or is the XL grip made to fix this problem?

This is exactly the problem I have...I got the Viperskins with the regular grip, but with my long fingers I could use a thicker grip.

Maybe something like a Hogue Hand-all? Or is the XL grip made to fix this problem?

stock..

XL

so, now the questions is, who has the best price on the grips?

Last edited:
If your lop is to short, it will cause your arm to have more of a bend to it which places your hand at a sharper angle to the grip. That means you will have your hand rotated counter clockwise onto the grip vs "coming in from behind it" and places your trigger finger deeper into the guard and onto the trigger. You see alot of this also on AR's with the unknown desire to have the stock collapsed while shooting when there is no need to.

Will short action Viperskins fit on the LA AICS?

I would think not since the ejection port on the skins would might be a problem....not enough clearance for LA?

I really like my viperskins on my 1.5 - I have the large palmswell grip

Last edited: