• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI L115A1/A3

tigerdan

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
Hi there, I'm trying to build a clone L115A3 out of a standard AWSM .338 Lapua (L115A1). I just have a really simple question, is there any visible difference between a L115A1 and L115A3? From what I can see, the A3 model is just the A1 with a few add on accessories (new bipod, scope and mount, and a suppressor). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rifle itself is almost identical other than the picatinny rail on the receiver of A3. Cheers.

Re: AI L115A1/A3

Aside from the color and the folding stock, the 5-25 S&B, Harris 6-9" bipod, pic rail, suppressor, the night vision rial mounted via spigot hole and the factory installed AI butt spike, they are the same.

Does the L115A3 come with a special receiver which has a permanent pic rail or is that just a normal .338 AW receiver with a detachable pic rail installed on the dovetail? Cheers.

The AW picatinny rail is a factory-installed option that goes on over the dovetail and is permanently bonded onto the receiver. There's no fundamental difference between it and a dovetailed gun, and I believe AI still offers the pic rail installation if desired on an existing dovetail rifle.

Maybe I should put it this way. I have a friend who offered me a good price for his almost brand new AI AWSM (dovetail, with butt spike). Since I'm more interested to have a L115A3, I was thinking if I should buy a brand new L115A3 from AI or get the AWSM from my friend and buy extra accessories to modify it as a L115A3, which will save me almost half the price. Now the only thing I'm not sure is the dovetail mount. My question is, does the L115A3 comes in a different receiver that has a pic rail, or is it originally a dovetail with a factory installed pic rail. Cheers.

its the same action, the rail is attached to the dovetail.

tigerdan,
If you send me a PM with the serial number of the AW338 you can buy from your friend, I can tell you what the differences are between that and an L115A3. I can tell you what would be involved if you wanted to bring it to a specification which brought it to as close as you could get with an L115A3. The L115A3 was specifically for the UK MoD and only they received that designation but the standard AW338 is virtually the same. You cannot buy an L115A3 from us and we are not promoting AW338 any more so your best bet will be to buy from your friend.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International