• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI or custom build

notme

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
TX
$3-$5,000 on a new stick
AI or custom build and why?
I have shot a few custom build Rem 700 action and was quite impressed however, have never experienced an AI.

Re: AI or custom build

The AI stock is a love/hate thing. Assuming you like it....

The AI AE is the best value in my opinion. They are commonly available on the "Firearm for sale" section. You should be able to snag a used one for under $3k and it is good to go. Excellent trigger and barrel, and the smoothest action I have ever handled. Plus, if you don't like the AI, you will get most if not all of your money back should you choose to sell.

For what it's worth, I sold 2 700's and a partially completed 700 build to fund my AI AW setup, which is one of the BEST decisions I have ever made. I will probably never own a 700 again. However, the AI AW is overkill for most.

Bottom line, buy what you want and can afford as neither well make you a better shooter.

Price is a bit more than custom sticks, unless you are talking about the AIAE. Some like it, some hate it. If it's in your financial budget, I would get it. But then again, I am bias toward AIAW rifles.

+1 w/ Pointblank w/ respects to the Love or hate situation on the stock and the fact that the AIAW is overkill for most. That being said, I love my AIAW & it is one only rifle that I own that I will never get rid of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3-$5,000 on a new stick
I have shot a few custom build Rem 700 action and was quite impressed however, have never experienced an AI. </div></div>

notme...yesyou
smile.gif

Couldn't resist,sorry...anyways...

The actions are way smoother on AI's!!!

The biggest distaste for some people seem to be the AI's
thumbhole stock's feel.Most like it,some don't.Also they are a little on the heavy side.

Better try someone else's on for size before you spend the money.

I'd rather have one than a custom 700 if I could fit a different stock to the action using AW mags and in my favorite cartridge of course.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3-$5,000 on a new stick
I have shot a few custom build Rem 700 action and was quite impressed however, have never experienced an AI. </div></div>

notme...yesyou
smile.gif

thumbhole stock's feel.Most like it,some don't.Also they are a little on the heavy side.

I'd rather have one than a custom 700 if I could fit a different stock to the action using AW mags and in <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">my favorite cartridge of course</span></span>.

Steve

</div></div>

Steve
Are you referring to the 30-375, or your 375 CheyTac. (still try to find time to get together for a long range session. Will let you know)

If the stock is the big issue on AIs, then maybe the new AI will be the way to go since it is no longer thumb hole.

I also have an AIAW. I dont really like the thumbhole, but dont hate it either as I have gotten used to it.

I think a sako TRG 22 should also be considered or the DTA SRS, though I know you did not ask about them.

The TRG is another good option, usually people tend to really like one stock or the other, I don't mind either, shoot them both about the same but prefer the TRG's ergonomics.

The only complaint you ever really hear on the AIAW is price, and if it's worth the extra cost over a custom build.....in this arena that's a pretty big compliment when you think about it. In reality it's probably overkill for most people, but ya know if you really break it down most high end guns are overkill for people, so if you have the $ and want one it seems very few are ever sorry they spent the money once the sting of the cost wears off.

If I was serious I'd want to wait to see how the new AI does, I have a sneaking suspicion that the bulk of the AI's that have been sold over the last few months are owners getting the best price on their used AIAW's to upgrade to the new version when it comes out.

DTA SRS is another great one, I'd have to shoot one first though everyone says it's pretty good but I'd want to feel the linkage trigger for myself before plunking down that much $.

The AI AE is a great gun at a very good price, I'd love to see them expand the caliber options though. If they made one in .300 I'd probably already have one.

Depends 5K isn't going to get you an AIAW. I've owned 4 builds from GAP- every stick was PERFECT. one 308, a 300WM, and 2 338LM's.

I have an AIAWSM in 338LM and it was worth every penny-alot more pennies than $5000 though.( The AI rifle feels completely different than an AICS using another action)

Sako TRG 22 is a killer out of the box stick-but the Sako accessories will make your ass hurt.

Buy what you can afford and hope its what you want. Cause if its not-you are just going to sell it and buy what you SHOULD have bought. You already KNOW what you want.!!!!

Desert Tactical Arms SRS should also be a real consideration.

The AW is badass but I personally feel AI has priced it to a level that isn't terribly reasonable and I'd have a hard time recommending paying retail for one if you're life didn't depend on it.

I think the AE MK2 is a very nice rifle but I put it in even competition with many of the other high end factory rifles and customs (find the shoe that fits, if you don't it's going to suck to try and run a marathon in it).

If I were starting all over again today I'd want to have a go with the DTA SRS. I've not been able to get behind one yet but I really like the multi-calliber features and bullpups ballance marvelously for shooting in positions other than prone supported.

I thought about the ai/ae or gap custom. I decided on the ai/ae. Myself, I do not see the reason to pay the extra for the aw. I have been to the range with mine 3 weeks in a row and have shot a .2 5 shot group and a .134 5 shot group. These were at 100 but who cares. When I backed it up to 200 it still shot 3/4 inch groups with a little wind. I am not much of a good shot so the rifle must be pretty damn decent. I love mine and I have several other rifles to choose from and many of them are custom but out of all of them, the one I wouldn't get rid of is the ai/ae. I also love the stock. I have another one with the Mcree stock on it but I do not like it as much as the ai.

I'm going to have to give my vote to the AI AE, if the stock fits you. I have had two custom 700's and an FN. All were great but I have been just blown away with my AI. Extremely accurate (last outing I shot 3 groups back to back at 300 avg group size was 1.2"). I love the action and trigger (the 2 stage suits me). And as AI says, it is robust. Very solid.

Now as a qualifier, I think the other rifles I owned were also very accurate. The AI stock is more natural for me. The others that had McMillans on them did not "fit" me as well. With that in mind, others find the opposite to be the case and much prefer the McMillans.

If the AI stock works for you I would get an AE. You will not be disappointed.

Just my .02

Be safe

I'm looking into getting behind an AI to see if it really fits and will research the other recommendations.
What changes are coming from AI?
I tend to buy more than I really "need" as my life does not depend on my rifle however, I do enjoy things of higher quality and engineering.

If you have the cash to buy an AIAW, buy it. You may be like the rest of us, must learn the hard way. Bonus - if you like it your set.

5K most likely won't get you an AW, as stated above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AW is badass but I personally feel AI has priced it to a level that isn't terribly reasonable and I'd have a hard time recommending paying retail for one if you're life didn't depend on it.

I think the AE MK2 is a very nice rifle but I put it in even competition with many of the other high end factory rifles and customs (find the shoe that fits, if you don't it's going to suck to try and run a marathon in it).

If I were starting all over again today I'd want to have a go with the DTA SRS. I've not been able to get behind one yet but I really like the multi-calliber features and bullpups ballance marvelously for shooting in positions other than prone supported. </div></div>

If you look at what an AI cost back in say 2005 and what a custom stick would cost then and compare that to 2010 prices. AI looks more like a bargain.

Members of this forum have been treated VERY fairly when Stacey Blankenship was selling AI- retail? hardly. But don't think you are going to touch an AIAW for less than 6K."Retail" has nothing to do with it. Unless you are an agency-the cost is the cost.Not to mention that you can change barrels yourself, and if you shoot alot-you have to take that into consideration. And anybody worth sending work to has quite a wait these days.

Spec out a custom build and don't skimp-you immediately see that an AI isn't priced that high. Take a Surgeon Action, Lawton, Badger whatever- order a custom McMillan Stock with all the adjustments,add bottom metal and a DBM.Buy the Barrel,brake and pay all the labor-you are going to be closer to spending 5K. Buying a DTA SRS is definitely a good option-but get all the goodies and you'll be easily over 5K too.

Bottom line-a nice stick costs alot of loot. Don't skimp-spend it right the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3-$5,000 on a new stick

notme...yesyou
smile.gif

I'd rather have one than a custom 700 if I could fit a different stock to the action using AW mags and in <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">my favorite cartridge of course</span></span>.

Steve

</div></div>

Steve
Are you referring to the 30-375, or your 375 CheyTac. (still try to find time to get together for a long range session. Will let you know) </div></div>

Hi DesertHK,

No,I was referring to 6x47L using a Manners carbon fiber stock with AW mags.Just fantasizing right now.

You got my other favorite cartridges though
smile.gif

Give me a call when you're ready.We'll stretch it farther than a mile next time.

Steve

See if anyone in your area has an AIAW you can try. Its a very unique and functional shooting platform. You also have access to some of the best rifle builders in the world. They can cook up a rifle anyway you like it, action, barrel, stock, caliber, etc.

I have both and don't regret any of the purchases. The AIAW (as stated above) was more than most customs but it an incredible piece of kit.

Do you homework, decide what will suite your needs, purchase, shoot, and enjoy.

I've been playing with a Rem LTR .308 for a while and can see that it is not going to be where I want to be without spending MUCH more on it; therefore the reason for my new interest.
I am going to take some time to look at as many of the options available before springing the cash as I do not want to experience buyers remorse.

I really do appreciate the opinions, experiences, and advice.

If you are just wanting a feel for the stock, find anyone with an AICS build.

Also, I notice everyone is mostly referring to the AW. Don't discount the AE.

Again, just my .02

If you can get your hands on any of the Accuracy International stocks, whether it be the AICS, AE, AW of any form you will get the same thumb hole stock feel and determine if suits your desires. If that is not the issue, you will not be dissatisfied with the action, magazines or quality of our weapons line. I would recommend you check out our website for the build options on both the AW and AE, then contact me for further assistance on the particulars and any questions you may have. I will obviously vote for the AI line up, once I got (1) my custom rifles started going bye bye and I have never looked back.

Let me preface this by saying that I like the AI stock. All my customs wound up in an AICS anyway.

Now, I do not currently own any more of the afore said customs. I own one AIAE. I have two barrels in different calibers (for now). The limited caliber selection is not a handicap as long as you stay with the same bolt face. Just get other barrels. GAP recently spun a barrel for me, they did not need the action, I mailed them the blank and they cut it perfectly.

I do not need an AW in a short action caliber. The AE Mark II does EVERYTHING I need and more. The only reason I think I would ever buy another custom is if I want a maginum caliber (and even them, I would prefer an AW).

Is user-caliber change not a benefit of AW and AE Mk2 platforms?

If I can take a gun from 308 to any bolt face diameter cartridge with a barrel swap, that strikes me a big plus as a hobbyist-doodler (OK, I never confessed to be an "operator" or deployed to the Sandbox).

I like the idea of being able to try out 6.5x47 and 6.5 creedmoor and others without having every switch and switchback done by my gunsmith.

The thumbhole stock of the AI guns isn't that bad, given I can get a folder. A folder helps when you have to pack the gun to the shooting setup.

Ae or Aw, you will not go wrong. I would sell everything else in my safe except for the ae that I have in 308. Got back from the range the other day and checked my groups, I knew they were good. .225 at 200 and then a .75 300 yard group that had the first round going high and to the right but it was from factory fed match. Different than the load that I was shooting before. The next 2 settled in less than 1/2 in apart from each other. I do not see where there would be an advantage to the aw over the ae but that is just me. I had looked at it from a cost perspective and glad I went with the ae. I do not see anything the aw could do the ae could not.

AI by far. With the AI you are getting custom accuracy from a built like a tank factory rifle. Fully adjustable stock, built in mag system, more bi pod choices, etc, etc. I had customs not I only have my AI and couldn't be happier.