• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI or TRG ?

Re: AI or TRG ?

My personal opinion is no, but it is just an opinion. The AI is certainly nice, but I just cannot justify 2x the cost over a TRG. They both shoot really well.

To me, NO. The reason is the AW dosent fit me very well and the TRG is more natural than any other platform I have shot (I have shot manny). The TRG has a hands down better trigger (not that the AW is bad). I like the action better on the AW, it feels smoother. The accuracy is same same. You have to decide for your self by getting down behind both.

I recently went through the same decision. However, I was comparing the TRG-22 to the AI AE MKII. These were actually nearly the same price once the more expensive TRG accessories were factored in. Once I got behind both, I thought the TRG was a little more ergonomic, was a bit lighter, and also had the best trigger I ever pulled (it is remarkably good). Regardless of price, I like the TRG a little more so that's what I bought. The Sako is awesome, but so are the AI line of rifles. You can't go wrong with either.

I've shot both and own an AI. However it's not cause it shot better than the TRG. It didn't actually. However it was what I wanted. Simple as that. The TRG would have done everything i could have asked of it and some, but in the end was not the rifle that did "it" for me. Pick the one that will make you happy to own, instead of wondering "what if". They both will get it done.

If you can afford the AW and still afford great glass, sure it might be worth it to you. But if buying an AW means you have to make a serious compromise on glass, then no. Get a loaded TRG and a nice piece of glass and call it a day. It will serve you well.

Compare them fully loaded (accessories, bases, etc.). I found they were very comparable in price and went with the AIAE.

IMO, AI got the 308 right. When I get a 338, it will be a TRG.

Weight was the biggest difference that affects me, but that was no biggie for my intended purpose. If you will carry it in the field a lot, get the TRG.

AI AW; you won't regret it unless you don't like the stock. Shoot it first.

to me, the thumbhole of the AI is uncomfortable, went with the TRG and am very happy with it.

Okay –I will try not to stir a pot that has been stirred a 100 times before (the debate on whether or not the AI or the TRG is the better rifle), I will say this - I currently own both rifles and in my opinion I think the AI is worth the extra money.

Swordfish I am not sure where you are located (ie. Your profile does not state); however, if you are in the Colorado area I would be more than happy to get you behind both rifles to allow you to make your own informed decision. Each rifle will be setup w/ the same scope (ie. S&B 5X25 P4 reticle) and the exact same suppressor (Thunder Beast 30 Cal. can), you can then fire them side by side for as far as you can see… so the invitation is on the table. If you are in the area let me know.

The way I see it is, AI AW vs. TRG-22? TRG-22 is the easy answer because of the price AND (for me anyways) the stock. If you are looking at a .300 or .338 it may be a little closer, but I still like the TRGs. If you are comparing a TRG to the AI AE then its totally up to the stock and how it fits you. I HATE the AI stocks. So I have a TRG. You may love the AI stock but make sure you shoulder each of them to see how you like them before committing to one or the other.

Thanks for the input , I live in AL and cant make it to
colorado . That was a great offer . If I shoot everthing
before I bought it I would have saved allot of money

Shoot both, Ive had both and kept the TRG. Absolutley nothing between them in accuracy, sturdiness and operation. Both great buy 1 that fits you.

My buddy has the TRG22, and it really is a sweet shooting quality rifle. I can't comment on an AI as I have never had my hands on one. In the end it would be a financial factor for me.....TRG22 and good glass would be my pick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking for input with people who shot both .
Is the AI/AW worth the $$$ diffrence over a TRG ? </div></div>

Nope. Get a Sako.

I was able to hold both and the TRG fit me better. So...I now own a TRG. I can't really comment on the price being a factor. I guess if the AI fit me better, it would be worth it. I prefer comfort first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clarence Carter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot both and own an AI. However it's not cause it shot better than the TRG. It didn't actually. However it was what I wanted. Simple as that. The TRG would have done everything i could have asked of it and some, but in the end was not the rifle that did "it" for me. Pick the one that will make you happy to own, instead of wondering "what if". They both will get it done. </div></div>

I could not have said it better.. Same as me here.

I've looked and shot both and will be getting the sako next month. Stock fits me better, trigger was great don't like mag price its only money.

Also on a side note you do not have to worry about the "expensive" accessories for the TRG. There is nothing "Sako" that you must have including the mags. KRG (Massoud here on the hide) has a kit which allows you to run AI mags instead of the TRG mags.

Sako's are great rifles but in all honest this question is a Ford/Chevy debate. There is no "better" in this category, it is only what YOU prefer plain and simple.

Personally I think it's a travesty the cost of AI's are so expensive. I don't buy into the Euro exchange rate BS as it doesn't seem to affect the Sako.

Bottom line is drive your Camaro or your Mustang, just drive it well.

If you are in AL you should be able to find a couple guys to let you shoot both. You will definitely prefer one stock over the other. They are completely different feels. I personally was very uncomfortable behind the AI and it felt even worse when using it for positional shooting. The TRG felt like it was made for me. Neither one gives up anything to the other in terms of reliability, ruggedness, or accuracy. Try to shoot both and get the one that fits best.

Also, as Mike pointed out, the accessories are no longer single source. There is a decent aftermarket for Sako and you can outfit a TRG for less than an AI.

Josh

The price difference is smaller for AI and TRG folders.
The bipod is better on TRG.
The monopod is better on AI.
The cheek piece on AI has more vertical adjustment, if I am not mistaken.
The nice and smooth TRG trigger may become very heavy and gritty.
You've heard it before, but here it goes again: handle both and determine which one is for you.

Damn, I missed out on this debate I guess! I went through the same debate less than a year ago: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1894835&page=1

I ended up going with the AW, with no regrets. 6 months or so later, I bought a TRG-22 folder (AW money.) And in February, I bought an AX.

They are all good rifles. I think the TRG is the best VALUE for the money, but I like the AW better, price aside.

Congrats on the purchase of your new AW!