• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI quick-detach barrel?

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I was watching a "burn notice" rerun and he pulled out what looked to be an AI/AW rifle, but could have been just a rem700 in an AICS stock, it was hard to tell.

But the point was the barrel was off the receiver for transport, and it was assembled prior to setting up with a few quick turns. I am 99% sure this is hollywood BS but can someone confirm? I'm not familiar with any AI rifle that has a field-strippable barrel assembly that way, the closest thing may be the AI AW covert but I'm not sure that it is even able to be broken down that way in the field.

Any AI experts out there?

Re: AI quick-detach barrel?

It's amazing what you can do with an airsoft rifle
wink.gif

There are several ways to make a take down rifle out of a 700. Interuped threads is one where it takes a 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn to tighten up the barrel. Another way is to remove the majority of threads on the barrel tenon. It only takes about 3 turns of threads to hold everything together. Not very repeatable but it works for a 1K yd. shot in the movies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seddo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about this rifle??

http://www.nemesisarms.com/

it's not a rem or ai but it still has a detachable barrel. </div></div>

The EDM Windrunners also have quick detach barrels and are guaranteed to .5 moa.

I may be wrong but I think they had an AI covert with a 12" barrel. Without the suppressor installed the barrel just came to the end of the barrel channel. With the stock folded it was a very small package. I have a covert with the 16" barrel and it's a great system out to 300yds with subsonic.