• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Switch Barrel Repeatability

Mike4837

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2014
Iowa
Accuracy International users won't be surprised by this, but I know the question comes up from time to time about the repeatability and accuracy of the AI when you switch barrels so I thought I'd share this and maybe others will chime in too.

I have a left-handed AI AT. I have a 6XC barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and two .308 barrels for it. I've got a class next weekend so I wanted to get everything setup and ready for it. I put the 6.5CM barrel back on it. The turrets on my scope were zero'd to the 6.5CM, but I had been doing some load development with one of the .308's and had moved the turrets off zero, but not reset them. So I put the 6.5 barrel on, changed my turrets back to zeros and went to shoot. The buddy I was shooting with that day wanted to start at 1065 yards and work back. We setup an 18x24" piece of steel and drove back. I ranged it with a Terrapin X to confirm distance, laid down and shot. I'm a terrible wind caller and it took me a couple rounds to get the wind dialed in, but the picture included is the target.

Yes. That's ditch weed behind the target. Anyway, the 3 shots below the line were 9.0 mils and the one above the line is 9.1 mils. So what's my point? My point is that I swapped barrels and trusted the system to remain accurate and repeat and went straight to 1k yards. AI's system is excellent. I've also done zero checks where I shoot a 10 round group, one shot at a time and remove the barrel between each shot. If you're on the fence about an AI. Don't be. They're outstanding rifles.

As an aside, I used my Zero Compromise Optic ZC420 for this. It's quickly becoming my favorite scope ever.

My experience when re-mounting a barrel is it takes 1 or 2 rounds to settle the barrel in.

Would you mind explaining your process of installing a barrel in a AT? Do you hold the chassis vertical? Do you apply torque to the barrel? How many in-lb are you applying to the clamp bolt?

Thanks -- Todd

My experience when re-mounting a barrel is it takes 1 or 2 rounds to settle the barrel in.

Would you mind explaining your process of installing a barrel in a AT? Do you hold the chassis vertical? Do you apply torque to the barrel? How many in-lb are you applying to the clamp bolt?

Thanks -- Todd
I'm too lazy to hold the chassis vertical. I just use the bipod to support the rifle,. I hand tighten the barrel and then use a 49in lbs torque limiter as specified in the manual for the clamping bolt.

Accuracy International users won't be surprised by this, but I know the question comes up from time to time about the repeatability and accuracy of the AI when you switch barrels so I thought I'd share this and maybe others will chime in too.

I have a left-handed AI AT. I have a 6XC barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and two .308 barrels for it. I've got a class next weekend so I wanted to get everything setup and ready for it. I put the 6.5CM barrel back on it. The turrets on my scope were zero'd to the 6.5CM, but I had been doing some load development with one of the .308's and had moved the turrets off zero, but not reset them. So I put the 6.5 barrel on, changed my turrets back to zeros and went to shoot. The buddy I was shooting with that day wanted to start at 1065 yards and work back. We setup an 18x24" piece of steel and drove back. I ranged it with a Terrapin X to confirm distance, laid down and shot. I'm a terrible wind caller and it took me a couple rounds to get the wind dialed in, but the picture included is the target.

View attachment 7100016

Yes. That's ditch weed behind the target. Anyway, the 3 shots below the line were 9.0 mils and the one above the line is 9.1 mils. So what's my point? My point is that I swapped barrels and trusted the system to remain accurate and repeat and went straight to 1k yards. AI's system is excellent. I've also done zero checks where I shoot a 10 round group, one shot at a time and remove the barrel between each shot. If you're on the fence about an AI. Don't be. They're outstanding rifles.

As an aside, I used my Zero Compromise Optic ZC420 for this. It's quickly becoming my favorite scope ever.
I have the old AI PSR system for 308, 300 WM and 338 LM. Recently, I acquired a barrel for the 6.5 creedmoor. When I first got the rifle, there was a moderate amount of shifting when I change from one a barrel to another. As I put more rounds down range, I noticed that the shifting went away and the POI was consistently at the pre-determined off set zero for the particular caliber.

Reactions: Mike4837
I have the old AI PSR system for 308, 300 WM and 338 LM. Recently, I acquired a barrel for the 6.5 creedmoor. When I first got the rifle, there was a moderate amount of shifting when I change from one a barrel to another. As I put more rounds down range, I noticed that the shifting went away and the POI was consistently at the pre-determined off set zero for the particular caliber.
That's interesting to me. I have noticed the occasional 1 to 2 round shift that @ShtrRdy mentioned, but in my experience it has been after cleaning a barrel. Do you have any hypothesis what the change was for you when you stopped noticing the shift?

That's interesting to me. I have noticed the occasional 1 to 2 round shift that @ShtrRdy mentioned, but in my experience it has been after cleaning a barrel. Do you have any hypothesis what the change was for you when you stopped noticing the shift?
Not sure why to be honest. May be I did not torque the side screw in tightly consistent enough? Barrell settling down? Not sure why but happy that it didn't.

Reactions: Mike4837