• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AI vs custom build worth it?

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
I have wanted a true AI for some time now, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I have an LRI built rifle that is already a tack driver in an AIAT chassis, specs as follows
-Trued Rem 700
- 2 Bartlein M24 contour barrels. 1 in 6.5CM w/ 600 ish rnds. The other 308 bisley unfired.
-AIAT folding chassis
-Vortex Viper PST

I am considering selling my "LRI-AT" to fund a true AI. My only question is it really worth it. As is I am regularly sub MOA out to 500 yards. If I would practice more, I could maintain this past 500 easily. Would I be gaining anything other than an AI (never handled one, so maybe its not all its cracked up to be?) or would I be better off upgrading the glass, and just shooting the piss out of it?

I would definitely upgrade optics first as you have a very nice rifle. But having been fortunate enough to have owned MANY custom rifles and now 3 AI's (2 AW's and my current AT) plus many other high end factory rifles like TRG's my money will always go to AI. It is IMO superior to every other platform out there at least for my shooting needs. Especially now with the QC barrel system of the AT, no down time when you need a new barrel. But then again that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Prior to the AT or AX coming out, we had the AW, which was significantly more expensive than the competing customs of the day. Many did what you have done, drop a barreled action into their chassis. No a bad route at all. I LOL'd the first time the dealer I was standing in told me the price of the AWSM I was fondling($6800 ish rifle only). Seemed so ridiculous. Fast forward almost a decade(and $30k in various other remington based customs id gone through), I finally ponied up and grabbed the AW. It took about 15 minutes to realize I should have bought one of those ridiculously priced AI's a decade earlier. Would have save quite a bit of money. This was also at a time when there was virtually nobody doing barrels for them, and accessability of parts in general just wasnt what it is today with outfits like Mile High.

Then the AT comes out, shaves off $1500-$2000 from an AW, and adds a barrel change feature ( saving the user the additional expense of normal barrel change equipment). Now it competes directly in cost with customs offered today by many builders. The AT seems like a no brainer to me.

You have a very nice gun, dont fret too much over it. You know the ergos already, now you just need to play with someones AW or AT and see if the receiver is something to upgrade to.

In having MHS build my TL3, I was also weighing against getting an AT. The consensus from the salesman was that if barrel changes were going to be a frequent thing, the AT was the way to go. Other than that, the AI resale value was the only other perk mentioned. I decided to stick with the TL3 for now.

My main con to an AI is that I don't care for the chassis. I liked them in the past, but found ergonomics of the XLR and now the MPA Chassis to be something I wasn't willing to leave to go back an AI Chassis.

I love AI rifles. Had an AT for a while and sold it. I have regretted selling it every since, and have been looking to get another. I will say the AI cannot do anything more than my bighorn/mausingfield custom rifles. In fact you could argue they limit you (your stuck with their trigger and stock) somewhat. But, even so I still love the AI rifles and will likely own another soon!
If you have a quality rifle from Chad you are not likely to gain accuracy or improved function in going to AI - so don't get one if that is your goal. But, if you have the bug to get one go for it!

I would definitely upgrade optics first as you have a very nice rifle. But having been fortunate enough to have owned MANY custom rifles and now 3 AI's (2 AW's and my current AT) plus many other high end factory rifles like TRG's my money will always go to AI. It is IMO superior to every other platform out there at least for my shooting needs. Especially now with the QC barrel system of the AT, no down time when you need a new barrel. But then again that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

I prefer an AI over a custom as well. I wish I could sell a couple customs so I could get the AXMC but the market sucks if you are trying to get rid of something. I would love to have one rifle and multiple barrels since you can can only shoot one at a time.

I have wanted a true AI for some time now, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I have an LRI built rifle that is already a tack driver in an AIAT chassis, specs as follows
-Trued Rem 700
- 2 Bartlein M24 contour barrels. 1 in 6.5CM w/ 600 ish rnds. The other 308 bisley unfired.
-AIAT folding chassis
-Vortex Viper PST

I am considering selling my "LRI-AT" to fund a true AI. My only question is it really worth it. As is I am regularly sub MOA out to 500 yards. If I would practice more, I could maintain this past 500 easily. Would I be gaining anything other than an AI (never handled one, so maybe its not all its cracked up to be?) or would I be better off upgrading the glass, and just shooting the piss out of it?

Here's the deal...

With practically any action (model 10, howa, m70, M700, M98, hell, probably even a Mosin Nagant), if you get solid lug engagement, decent stock/action fit, and a quality barrel and ammo, you can shoot small groups. So if shooting small groups is the only goal, you're there.

The rest of it is a mix of hard numbers and personal preferences that's reliability, safety, comfort, pride, satisfaction, self-justification, and sidebar options/features. So you're going to get a lot of subjective replies because the personal usage and personal preference plays probably the bigger part of it.

That said, the AI is going to be a better rifle. The bolt throw is better than any trued 700, you have quick change barrel options, the rifle as an assembly is a tank, triggers are subjective but AI triggers are good. If you've already got the M700 sitting in a AI chassis, then I assume you like the feel of it and that probably won't change much at all...

Now worth it? Up to you and your disposable income. You're going to lose your ass on the LRI rifle (ask me how I know, selling customs, especially M700's is painful if you remember what you spent). It's a mostly a matter of personal satisfaction. This is a hobby, it's for fun, so do what makes you happy. There are some things that I want the best, and some things I could care less about. That's why I have a Mausingfield, Manners EH1, Proof CF barrel, $3000+ scope.... and a BUNCH of LEE reloading gear because it's cheap and works good enough. I like to shoot in style, don't care if I reload in style.

IMO, it depends on your use case. If the cartridge options, weight and ergos of the AI work for you, then it's tough to argue against it. However, if what you want to do falls outside of the capabilities of the AI platform in any of those three areas, then it's ha rd to argue for it.

I have a few custom rifles. And access to my friends AI-AT for comparison.

From an engineering and mechanical perspective, I really love the AI. It's a very rugged design. If I had to jump out of a helicopter into Afghanistan's mountains, I would want the AI.

However, I think a custom rifle is actually better in pretty much every other scenario. Just having the ability to really pick your ergonomics like triggers and stocks matters.

For PRS, I think something like the Masterpiece Arms chassis does make the game a lot easier to play than either of the AI Chassis. Or most other designs out there. The same goes for the Jewel or Bix and Andy Benchrest triggers; they make the game easier.

And if PRS isn't your game, I still think a custom rifle can have more practical applications. One of my most under-appreciated rifles was an FN SPR with a 22 inch heavy barrel on it in an M40A1 style stock. That rifle was super ugly, but it got a ton of use because it was light enough to carry around, very accurate, and easy to shoot from field positions.

One of the big downsides to the AI is that you are likely going to have a 17 pound rifle. It'll be absolutely reliable but you might not be reaching for it as often as you would for a 11 pound rifle. That's one of the issues I have ran into with some of my heavier custom rifles.

The first thing I'd ask myself is what style trigger do I prefer? If you prefer a single stage or a benchrest light two stage then I'd stick with the custom. AI triggers are a standardized two stage and are specifically built with a duty purpose in mind. They are probably the best in the biz for durability, repeatability, and predictability. Where they lack in specifically is tunability. So if you have a fussy trigger finger that only likes a particular "pull", then your custom is a better option. If you can adapt and learn a known standard then the AI will have more options for you to experience like 60° bolt lift, fast barrel swap system, all in an action that's built like a tank.

I would start with a scope upgrade and then sell your AT chassis to help fund a full AI rifle. Down the road as your budget allows, you can re purpose the Rem 700 barreled action you kept as a handier and more mobile rig using the barrels you already have cut down and a lighter stock or chassis.

I was in the same boat you're in. I ended up buying a gen 2 Razor to replace my PST on my AICS AT. I think that's where you will get more bang for your buck(pun intended) shoot with a better scope and if down the road you still have the itch to change rifles, do it. But I would upgrade the glass first.

Go with the factory AI rifle. If you don't, it'll always be nagging at you as you wonder what you're missing. Like others have already said, the resale is great, so should you find the juice wasn't worth the squeeze then you can offload it and go back to a custom in a AI chassis again. Definitely go ahead and step it up in the glass department. Gen2 Razor HD, Kahles, Minox, USO, NF, used S&B, any of those will make a world of difference.

It sounds like you like your LRI-AT. I sold a rifle I liked once a long time ago. I miss that rifle to this day. Do not sell a rifle you like to purchase another rifle. Keep the rifle you like then save just a little longer to get the AI of your dreams.

I love my AI and am a big AI fan boy. I wanted one since I have started shooting and now have an AX and an AWSM and an 700 223 trainer in an AX chassis.

I think if you practice with anything you can make it work. Some of the features of the MPA seem pretty neat and make me jealous on occasion but an AI will never hold you back.

If you can't get used to the trigger you are probably screwed though. I had a fellow shooter test mine this past weekend at a match and he remarked that my first stage is heavier than his whole trigger (he runs a Jewel).

I've done the custom route and loved all the rifles I've had (many I still own). Would certainly do it all again. That being said, one thing I've found that the AI seem to trump everything else on is simple reliability. If there's a way to break or make something fail, I seem to find it. The AI rifles is the most resistance to my misadventures. After getting one, I knew I made the right decision and should have done it years ago.

really depends on what you are looking for deep down inside. can you get a custom to shoot better than a AI, yes my benchrest rifles run rings around my AI. will my bench rifles work in wind blown dust, No i have to put a rag over the action while im not shooting because the fine crap locks it up.

will i carry my AX308 or AXMC on a mountain sheep hunt, hell no i want my 7-8 pound rifle with light optics and pencil thin barrel.

now, which one will i take to a PRS type match or to drop on the ground and shoot some steel....not even a question AI.

i have gone the custom route more times than i should have (big names and small up and comers, i dont want to call anyone out), unless they are specialized rifles they are all collecting dust because i reach for my AI every time.

Its more of a system and it feels it, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. if AI wanted a different trigger they would change it, if they wanted the weight to be different they would change it, it all just seems to fit and balance properly.

never mind the ability to buy drop in barrels for just about any caliber you can think of, and never needing a smith again. something breaks you just call up get a replacement part, your up and running when the UPS guy shows up. not sending it out for a few weeks if not more.

I do really enjoy shooting my LRI-AT, its something I do not do enough of. Chad and crew did a stellar job on it. Honestly, my only complaint with it is how heavy the M24 contour is, wish i had known a little better. From the sounds of it, I should keep her. Seems like lusting for a lost one is a common theme here and I should listen. I guess i will look into some new glass to top her off with and save for a true AI. Who knows, maybe by then the "AIAC" that is in one of the other trending threads maybe available. That thing looks awesome!

If you have a really good tack driver, you may just want to keep it & then eventually scratch the AI itch as well.
The AI rifles will hold their own for accuracy with the best of the customs & are way more rugged than the rest.
They are however pretty heavy and square and not the greatest for lugging for hunts or shooting offhand.
I'd suggest looking at either the latest ones, or an old school original AW model.

-Trued Rem 700
-AIAT folding chassis
-Vortex Viper PST

Is your current rifle accurate enough? Is it 100% reliable? Are you lacking any practical functionality? If the answer is yes, yes, no; then you don't need an AI.

Last edited: