• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Vs. everything else for a new rifle.

Van Mol

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2020
I wholeheartedly apologize for the essay form of this question. Just doing a thought vomit and seeing where it takes me. If you don't want to read it all. It's pretty much talk me out of the AT\AXSA.

I am getting into PRS/NRL after years not shooting anything. I have wanted an AI and have ever since I first saw an AW in some Ayoob article in a magazine I don't even remember. Unfortunately, I think that is putting a kink into my thought process. I would like to think I know exactly where I want to go as far as: Caliber, glass, barrel and all other accessories. I am not brand loyal. I am also spoiled for choice, as I am a 20 minute drive from GA Precision, Badger and I think Manners. Not that any of that cant be had on the interwebs. Although, if I have a rifle built, I really want it to be a Kansas City built and sourced rifle so all of those companies would be involved. Looking for pros and cons for all rifles. Here is my thought process so far. Any precision rifle will shoot better than I can as of now, but I hope to change that. I won't be swapping out calibers after I get it chambered in 6 dasher(probably). Although I really like the quick change barrel system on the AI rifles. No tools and I would like to be able to do barrel changes in house. Not a deal breaker, but as of now, I would have to ship it out to a smith to change burnt out barrels. I am not in tune enough with the nuances of bolt throw and bolt lift for it to be a sticking point in my decision. I really like the TT diamond flat trigger. I also appreciate the AI comp trigger and it's insanely long time between failure. I'm sure I'll have more questions later if lots of people chime in. Thank you.

can you afford the ai ? if you can god bless you get it if you want it its a nice rifle beyond that it won't make you breakfast or rub your feet or even fetch your slippers . it will not put your kids through collage god help you do yard work , if you have kids in collage now a days god have mercy on you . Its not even going to make you more popular with the ladies , though gold diggers that know the price of such a gun might take notice like a gold chain around your neck or a rolex watch on your wrist and a nice suit it could be a symbol of your wealth could be not guaranteed .And i am almost positive it will not make your spouce happy at least until she files for a divorce where she will take you for everything you owned and more .like a friend of mine is now going through his entire gun collection all 500 pieces gone in a drop of a tear including his beloved ai all gone . You will still need to feed it clean it and take care of it anything can break if mistreated . You could get 2 other guns that shoot about as nice for the cost of the ai but they would not be the ai . But its your money and your going to get what ever it is you really want at any given time . You should love it though and may it serve you well in your prs matches if and when you compete good luck and best wishes .

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly apologize for the essay form of this question. Just doing a thought vomit and seeing where it takes me. If you don't want to read it all. It's pretty much talk me out of the AT\AXSA.

I am getting into PRS/NRL after years not shooting anything. I have wanted an AI and have ever since I first saw an AW in some Ayoob article in a magazine I don't even remember. Unfortunately, I think that is putting a kink into my thought process. I would like to think I know exactly where I want to go as far as: Caliber, glass, barrel and all other accessories. I am not brand loyal. I am also spoiled for choice, as I am a 20 minute drive from GA Precision, Badger and I think Manners. Not that any of that cant be had on the interwebs. Although, if I have a rifle built, I really want it to be a Kansas City built and sourced rifle so all of those companies would be involved. Looking for pros and cons for all rifles. Here is my thought process so far. Any precision rifle will shoot better than I can as of now, but I hope to change that. I won't be swapping out calibers after I get it chambered in 6 dasher(probably). Although I really like the quick change barrel system on the AI rifles. No tools and I would like to be able to do barrel changes in house. Not a deal breaker, but as of now, I would have to ship it out to a smith to change burnt out barrels. I am not in tune enough with the nuances of bolt throw and bolt lift for it to be a sticking point in my decision. I really like the TT diamond flat trigger. I also appreciate the AI comp trigger and it's insanely long time between failure. I'm sure I'll have more questions later if lots of people chime in. Thank you.
Bold and italicized - not AI.

Reactions: Van Mol
That took me longer than it should have to get what you are saying. I really DO love the idea of a "KC pride" rifle. Something of that sort will be in my vault someday... Someday.

I have a AIAX most consistently best shooting rifle I have ever shot or owned. If you shoot a lot and burn barrels up quickly I think an AI could be less expensive overall in the long run. Being able to change a barrel out yourself for $600 ish and boom it is like having a new rifle is huge and not to mention being able to shoot different calibers and one scope also takes cost away from having multiple rifles.

I would go for a custom before AI.had an axmc and it is not optimal for prs imo.

I have an AXMC and it is an incredible rifle. Accurate, smooth bolt and easy barrel change. As to barrel swap, if you keep same caliber or ensure any new caliber you choose uses the same bolt face and magazine Then cost for new barrel is in the $600.00 to $900 range for steel. Need different bolt head, then add $600 to your cost. New magazine add $140 to your cost.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Have a look at West Texas Ordnance's switchlug. No need to send the gun off to be rebarreled and you can swap them in the field with impressive repeatability. Since you indicate this is a comp gun, I recommend going custom and dropping the whole thing into an MPA chassis. It's the easy button for getting perfect ergonomics, ability to add weight/balance the gun, and already has a full length dovetail cut. You can do the same with other setups, it's just gonna cost ya. Maybe consider a Bighorn TL-3 if you want to swap bolt faces.

For competing, I'd rather spend the cash on upping my reloading game, gas money and match fees, or just practicing more.

Good luck, and welcome to your new addiction!

Not trying to sound argumentative at all. Just more thoughts. Custom route would put me in a 6 dasher bartlien barrel, with their new MOD000adimentum steel. Probably AT 0766 magazine or MDT double to single witchcraft depending on action. Incredible sexyness ot the new Manners TCS-RCMP. All that goodness will be six months on the short side. If I get an AI, it won't come in any of the new hotness calibers. So, I get pappys. 308. No big deal. I shoot tacticool class until I find out if I suck or not. If I do, which would be easier to offload at the end of the day? If/when I do suck. Which one will I lose the least on going back to USPSA to just miss stuff faster than I would in NRL? More long term, a bunch of good guys around here are working on NRL22. AI chassis are not at all attractive. To me anyway. I would like to have a apples to apples trainer. So that swings me back to custom.

Reactions: reubenski
Take this with a grain of salt, but the 6's seem to be more effort than they are worth. Some are fast, some are "heavy", some require magazine modifications, some do not. At the end of the day, you will get no-called on targets that you impacted without hit indicators. Ballistically they are better, but the inability to see hits at the farther distances is a non-starter for me.

For your first gun, I recommend 6.5CM. You and every other swinging dick will have the same dope which will be very helpful while you learn how to shoot PRS. Components are EVERYWHERE for it, quality commercial ammo is available, and it's relatively easy to reload for. If you get the switchlug, you can have a barrel spun up in whatever 6mm flavor your heart desires when you feel like it will benefit you.

Shooting 308 will easily discourage you. Impacts come at a higher price, ballistically speaking. Your fundamentals must be perfect, and even then you are ballistically hamstrung. (I can hear the feathers ruffling as I type..) Get on some glass and watch the trace of a 308 out to the further targets with even light wind. It's impressive to say the least.

Regarding the trainer. Get a Vudoo. It will quickly become your favorite rifle. I don't even practice with my big gun anymore before a match. I shoot more RF matches these days because it's a freaking blast!

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful.

Take this with a grain of salt, but the 6's seem to be more effort than they are worth. Some are fast, some are "heavy", some require magazine modifications, some do not. At the end of the day, you will get no-called on targets that you impacted without hit indicators. Ballistically they are better, but the inability to see hits at the farther distances is a non-starter for me.

For your first gun, I recommend 6.5CM. You and every other swinging dick will have the same dope which will be very helpful while you learn how to shoot PRS. Components are EVERYWHERE for it, quality commercial ammo is available, and it's relatively easy to reload for. If you get the switchlug, you can have a barrel spun up in whatever 6mm flavor your heart desires when you feel like it will benefit you.

Shooting 308 will easily discourage you. Impacts come at a higher price, ballistically speaking. Your fundamentals must be perfect, and even then you are ballistically hamstrung. (I can hear the feathers ruffling as I type..) Get on some glass and watch the trace of a 308 out to the further targets with even light wind. It's impressive to say the least.

Regarding the trainer. Get a Vudoo. It will quickly become your favorite rifle. I don't even practice with my big gun anymore before a match. I shoot more RF matches these days because it's a freaking blast!

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful.
Thank you! The vudoo is in my near ish future too. I have thought long and hard about 6.5. That would open up a lot of off the shelf options. The reason that wasn't an obvious choice for me was barrel life. But, it seems that isn't always a constant. Whatever I shoot will be a .308 boltface.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottDWallace
I was in the exact same boat when I decided to up my game in PRS. I fingered a lot of AI’s, both AX and AT and decided in the end to go the custom route. To me it come down to having to buy another barrel just to shoot the cartridge I wanted to shoot, buy the match trigger hoping that if like it, and the chassis for both AX and AT aren’t really optimal for the PRS/NRL game. Though yes, they are a tank and are an exceptional service weapon. The quick change barrel is cool, but if I get a barrel that’s shooting good, and a good zero and load worked up, I’m not going to be pulling it off until it’s shot out. Most custom actions also accept prefits, or a reputable gunsmith can store all the measurements to be able to cut barrels without the action on site. If you can change a tyre at home, you can change a barrel at home without the need for a quick change system.

If you’re looking for a KC local custom rifle don’t forget about River Bend up on Weston. Jeff does great work.

Mike

I love my AX. I suspect that a custom could be optimized more for competition, but the AI works awesome out of the box and is pretty bomb proof. I also love being able to replace/swap the barrel. For a no-fuss, dead reliable, ultra accurate gun that will last forever I think the AI is the top option. If you want the lightest trigger, slickest action and most customized ergonomics and don’t mind some tinkering then a custom might make more sense.

If you specifically want to be doing the PRS type games, you may want to get a rifle specifically designed for that.

The AI rifles are excellent, but were not designed with running around with the PRS type stuff in mind.

It is funny however because once upon a time the AI guns were looked on as "too heavy" for the shooting games.
Now folks are shooting light recoiling stuff out of guns that are heavier than the AI rifles.

That being said, the AXMC is an amazing all around rifle that can shoot a wide array of cartridges and is very reliable.
It's definitely a gun worth owning, but again probably not the best gun for PRS games.

Btw for the AI you can get it in most any caliber you want. I got mine in 6.5cm. The short actions have a 308 bolt face so anything that uses that that is just a barrel swap away.

AI's are exceptional rifles and will retain their value much better than a custom anything. But, they're not the best setup for PRS. All IMO.

If a company can inlet a stock for a Badger M2013 why could they not do the same for an AI? It seems (more ruffled feathers) that AI is a bit like Glock. Not for everyone, but fairly bomb proof, well engineered and ugly. I do keep hearing that the AI action is tough as nails and even the "haters" have nothing bad to say about the reliability. Are there any other Remington 700 clone actions that come near the AI durability wise? I've shot mostly Glocks and revolvers in competition for years. So even a "bad" rifle trigger might be the best trigger I've pulled in a long time. Other than reloading, I don't tinker with much. So, if I go either way, I'm looking for a set it and forget it. Maintenance and cleaning will be done by me. But, other than taking apart a trigger to clean it at the most. I'm out and going to send it to someone who knows what their doing.

Last edited:
The AI rifles are phenomenal...
If I go to a match I never grab an AI off the the wall. I always grab one of the rifles I have for matches.
If your worried about action quality from. Others don't be! I have them from multiple companies and they all work great... all a bit different but they are solid. I have more ARC actions now than any of the others.

Choose action.
Choose trigger
Buy prefit barrel( in a caliber that typically doesn't require mag modification)

It seems you want an AI and it seems you want us to help you rationalize why.

Just buy an AI and be done with the handwringing. You can buy something else later.

BTW, any rifle can be made with the ability to switch/change barrels at home with a minimum investment in hand tools.

An AI-AT is hands down the best beginner rifle on the market.

Shoots plenty good for PRS
Zero issues to tweak for feeding and such
Good trigger that’s not too light to develop bad habits
Heavy enough to mitigate recoil. Light enough to teach recoil management.

Buy a 6cm or 6.5cm and a .308 barrel.

This leaves one with the only thing to worry about is getting better at what matters.....fundamentals and positions.

OP, in regards to the reliability of other actions, I think it would be safe to say most custom actions are pretty reliable. Most to the guns guys are using in PRS are using a custom action of some sort. If they’re weren’t Reliable then everyone would be running AI’s. I had the same question you did awhile ago, and I ended up ordering a big horn TL3 and a proof prefit (so I can change barrels at home).

I recommend buying what you think will make you happy. You can always sell it if you don’t like it and try something new. I’m sure you have experience with that in USPSA, I know I do.

If you want an AI, get it. You’re not going to regret it. I’ve owned a few customs and most recently a sakotrg22 in w3. I sold it and a couple other rifles and picked up a AIAX and fell in love. It’s what I’ve always wanted, and I’m happy with it. I shot a match the other day with it and actually done surprisingly well. I have a large match coming up so we will see how it performs during that. If you don’t feel that the ergos work for you for prs you can always check out the obsession chassis or the mpa chassis for the AI actions.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
OP, in regards to the reliability of other actions, I think it would be safe to say most custom actions are pretty reliable. Most to the guns guys are using in PRS are using a custom action of some sort. If they’re weren’t Reliable then everyone would be running AI’s. I had the same question you did awhile ago, and I ended up ordering a big horn TL3 and a proof prefit (so I can change barrels at home).

When people talk about reliability and comparing to AI, nowadays they are typically talking about not having to tune an AI. Many customs will require something sort of mag tuning to get it running perfectly. This used to be done by a smith, but with everyone putting guns together at home now....you see many, many more feeding issues (myself included).

So to the OP, keep in mind if you buy your own parts you may have to fiddle it tweak the feeding to get it perfect. Or it might drop in and just flat out run. You never know.

I may not have enough for a numbers matching mopar. But, if you break it down, An AT isn't much if any more than a custom build.
Theres a pretty big price difference between an AT and an AX. Moreso if you look used. Where are you leaning?
I had an AX, had grand ideas of shooting 10,000 rounds a year, it being the last rifle I'll ever need, etc. It was a great (the best rifle I've owned), but honestly, it ended up not being worth the cost for me. I sold it and got a Nuke w/ PVA and proof and don't miss it. Now, could I see myself someday picking up a used AT? Absolutely

If you’re looking for a KC local custom rifle don’t forget about River Bend up on Weston. Jeff does great work.

Mike

Jeff’s a solid guy, just had him do a 300 PRC barreled action for me. He’s a great guy, he’ll take the time to talk with you, he answers the phone and does the work. Can’t ask for more then that plus his fee’s are very fair.

I have two AIs. I think they are the finest weapons platform on the market.

They work the same in any condition imaginable. I've shot it in below zero weather in Northern Maine, in the pouring rain...it just works....the same....all the time. You have to want that in a rifle to want to buy an AI.

You should also go to a PRS match where you could actually get behind an AI and see if the ergonomics work for you. Some shooters don't like the chassis. Before you spend the $$, check one out.

Oh wow! I walked away for a couple days. Thank you guys for sharing. I think I'm going to go the local build route once all is said and done. Will definitely sit behind more rifles before I make my decision. Thank you again!

I’m one of the bigger AI fans, to the point that I dedicated a lot of time and money to designing my own aftermarket AI chassis specifically because I wanted it to be better for PRS matches. I’ll be the first to recommend an AI, but if you’re dead set on a PRS-specific build in a 6 Dasher, you might want to pursue the de facto “go to” build nowadays which is an Impact or Curtis/Terminus action in an ACC, MPA, or Foundation stock. (With a Tangent Theta on top LOL)

That being said, the AI “easy button” is an AT with a folding stock, in either 6 Creed or 6.5x47L. If you want to use a GAP, send them your rifle at the beginning so they can measure it, and they’ll make you custom head spaced barrels for the life of the rifle. Win-win.

Theres a pretty big price difference between an AT and an AX. Moreso if you look used. Where are you leaning?
I had an AX, had grand ideas of shooting 10,000 rounds a year, it being the last rifle I'll ever need, etc. It was a great (the best rifle I've owned), but honestly, it ended up not being worth the cost for me. I sold it and got a Nuke w/ PVA and proof and don't miss it. Now, could I see myself someday picking up a used AT? Absolutely
I was leaning toward a new AT or used AXSA. More so towards the AT because of price. I like the ergos of the ax better, just hard to justify the price.

I was leaning toward a new AT or used AXSA. More so towards the AT because of price. I like the ergos of the ax better, just hard to justify the price.

Buy the AT and get the AX stock from Milehigh or EO. Aside from the stock i like the AT/AICS fore-end better for PRS than the factory AX one.

Cheapest way into it is hounding the PX for an used fixed AT. If you can get it without a barrel even better. Thats 2.8k to 3k usd depending condition, bushed or factory SFP, extras...From 3k used a new barrel is 600-900 and the AX kit is around 900 more.

Bad things...

Everyone talks about ergos... yes there are a few chassis out there that rival a glove when it comes to getting the shooter comfy/stable. To me is not that big of a deal. The action and stock on the AX makes the whole midsection of the gun a bit taller too... Again, no biggie.

Pretty much forget about 6BR. 6 Creed or .243 win will get there as fast or faster while feeding reliably. I would still start with 6.5 creed not 6.

My buddy @Huskydriver had the comp trigger for a minute and actually got the thing running pretty darn good. He can go into detail on that. If you ask me, dont get it at the outset. The stock trigger is just fine so run that and if you gotta have the lighter trigger down the road make the switch but KEEP THE STOCK TRIGGER!!!

If an AI is what you want i dont that being that much more expensive than any build from a reputable smith out there. At the end of the day if you buy used just use it hard for a month and you'll most likely get 85-90% of what you dropped on it if you dont like it. It will be just like renting it for maybe a couple hundred bucks. Try that with a custom shop built gun...

I was in the exact same boat a few months ago. I feel i made the right decision
vlcsnap-2020-08-26-02h38m03s397.png

I was sort of in your shoes recently. My first PRS match was in May, I shot it with an AI AT in 6 creedmoor, my only bolt gun. After 6 matches, I know the rifle is definitely not holding me back.
I considered the AX buttstock upgrade but just opted to go to Rifles Only for some training instead (which made a massive difference in my match performance).

1598456742965.png

I was sort of in your shoes recently. My first PRS match was in May, I shot it with an AI AT in 6 creedmoor, my only bolt gun. After 6 matches, I know the rifle is definitely not holding me back.
I considered the AX buttstock upgrade but just opted to go to Rifles Only for some training instead (which made a massive difference in my match performance).

View attachment 7408475
Is that the RRS rail on the front? Do you have any issues with it being too high going through barricades?

may i ask, (never having had the opportunity to try an AI)

what specifically makes the AI stock/platform less than optimal for PRS?
when i try to visually compare it to the ACC and MPA type of stocks it looks like the AI has a more angled section just in front of the mag well and perhaps the increased height of the receiver? Are those the drawbacks/compromises?

Is that the RRS rail on the front? Do you have any issues with it being too high going through barricades?
It is the RRS mount on the front, with an anarchy outdoors spigot in the forward-est position. I have not had any porthole issues.

may i ask, (never having had the opportunity to try an AI)

what specifically makes the AI stock/platform less than optimal for PRS?
when i try to visually compare it to the ACC and MPA type of stocks it looks like the AI has a more angled section just in front of the mag well and perhaps the increased height of the receiver? Are those the drawbacks/compromises?
- The “height over bore” of the AT compared to an ACC or MPA makes it about an inch taller when on a bag. This raises the COG, and when combined with the tall scope mount required on an AX, makes fitting in short port hole windows difficult or impossible.
- There is no easy way to add weight to adjust the balance point (I have a couple products in work, no idea where they are yet)
- The AT forend is short, and needs a bolt-on arca rail, which further increases height over bore.
- Shooting 6BR-variants isn’t typically plug and play, some have good luck with HRD kits, while others struggle with feeding issues
- AW mags can only hold 10 (or 11) but the welded bottom prevents any mag extenders.

All of these are why I spent the time to design an aftermarket chassis for the AI platform, I love the action, reliability, and ergos that much.
5E78DEED-5C66-4FA1-B27C-728DDB6D6323.jpeg

If you get an AT, my suggestion would be to buy the Anarchy Outdoors spigot replacement. It gives the needed extra couple of inches to the fore end without adding height. I would not spend the money to swap to the AX buttstock. I do not really think it gains you anything, as long as you buy an AT with folding stock. I do like the comp trigger, but don't try to set it up to be 8oz or something stupid. get it is a crisp pound and a half and be done. It isn't a triggertech, and isn't trying to be one either.

As to action smoothness. My AT is miles better than my TL3, at least in my opinion. The bolt has less wiggle when retracted back all the way, and feeding from an AW magazine is much smoother than feeding from an AICS magazine. My AT is a 6.5x47L and the TL3 is a 6.5CM so not a very big difference between the two cartridge sizes, so the comparison is pretty equal.

that being said, my TL3 is in a low profile chassis built for PRS competition and is more stable sitting on a bag on obstacles because of the lower center of gravity.

there are plusses and minuses to both systems. A TL3 has savage threads so it is relatively easy to change barrels with just a few basic tools, as long as you are OK seeing a barrel nut.

If you want to do PRS, I would advise getting an R700 clone you like with a good reputation, and putting it into a chassis designed for competition. You probably don't even need a gunsmith, although having one assemble your rifle will likely yield slightly better results, as you can spec a chamber for your specific cartridge, bullet weight, and freebore vs buying a prefit.

I have been shooting an AI AX for 5 years now and it is on its 3rd barrel. Cant express how happy I am with it. Best rifle purchase I have ever made. It has over 10,000 rounds through it with no failures or snags of any kind. It is a bit heavy for some hunting. I use mine when stand hunting in Western Oklahoma and got something a bit lighter for walking hunts. Do not hesitate to buy an AI. You will never regret it

I'll beat this horse some more. Several of you have mentioned the importance of getting the folding stock on the AI. Is that just to make bolt removal easier? A little shorter for storage? What else am I missing? Also, Will a flat trigger fit on the factory trigger assembly, or is that only compatible with the comp trigger?

I went fixed on my AT. The difference for the folder for me was over $500. The only times I wish I got the folder are when I’m transporting, removing the bolt, or cleaning. But I also figured if I was gonna pay that much I’d convert it to the AX folder.

That being said, removing the bolt isn’t an issue if you make some spacers or use O-rings or something that allow you to quickly return the cheek piece to the height you keep it set at. You’ll need the thumb screws as well.

I’ve been pulling my barrel for cleaning and actually like doing it that way.

Transporting was a pain in my car using a 52” drag bag instead of my normal 46”. Not an issue in my truck. Guess I could’ve removed the barrel for transport too.

These were just some minor negatives I’ve found and had to overcome with the fixed. Do I wish I went folder? Some times. I had both at one point, sold the folder, but not for that reason. But really, it’s a hinge, and whether you have it or not makes no difference when you’re shooting the rifle. Just a little inconvenient when pulling the bolt, cleaning, and transporting in a longer package. Something you’d never notice or think of with the folder. But you’ll think of the folder every time you do those things when you have the fixed lol.

Last edited:
I'll beat this horse some more. Several of you have mentioned the importance of getting the folding stock on the AI. Is that just to make bolt removal easier? A little shorter for storage? What else am I missing? Also, Will a flat trigger fit on the factory trigger assembly, or is that only compatible with the comp trigger?
- The folding stock makes bolt removal and barrel cleaning easier (don't have to remove the cheek piece)
- It packs shorter (even better on the AX where it folds over the bolt)
- The hing is bomb proof and locks up like a vault
- If you ever decide to upgrade or sell, the folder will retain value better and be easier to sell

But if you plan on upgrading to the AX buttstock, buy a fixed AT as that will save you a lot of money in the long run.

AI's suck.. Buy a good ol'e Murican made Remmy 700.

Reactions: BuLLet

Exactly what samb300 said. I bit the proverbial bullet and after I had the rifle in my hands for 10 minutes I knew a folder is the only way to go. Plus after cheaping out on little thing here and there with other rifles I didn't want to make that mistake again.

P.S. If you don't get the folder and then realize you want it you'll have spend more going that route than what the folder costs upfront.