• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AIAE or GAP Crusader ?

GIO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2008
Omaha, NE USA
I know they are both good rifles but can someone throw out a few points of difference?

They seem to shake out around the same price point and I haven't heard a bad thing about either option so I am looking for a few outside opinions.

Thank you in advance for your insight

Re: AIAE or GAP Crusader ?

Typically listing some sort of ideas on what you intend to use them for will help in getting answers that apply to you.

Both will shoot great, I really like the AI stocks and urge you to spring for the extra and get the folder if you do it. The Crusader will be lighter most likely and has a few more custom features available. Not sure of the wait on Crusaders right now, you could get an AI by the end of next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically listing some sort of ideas on what you intend to use them for will help in getting answers that apply to you.

Both will shoot great, I really like the AI stocks and urge you to spring for the extra and get the folder if you do it. The Crusader will be lighter most likely and has a few more custom features available. Not sure of the wait on Crusaders right now, you could get an AI by the end of next week. </div></div>

Jason has sumed it up. Need more before someone can say "get this one"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically listing some sort of ideas on what you intend to use them for will help in getting answers that apply to you.

Both will shoot great, I really like the AI stocks and urge you to spring for the extra and get the folder if you do it. The Crusader will be lighter most likely and has a few more custom features available. Not sure of the wait on Crusaders right now, you could get an AI by the end of next week. </div></div>

Jason has sumed it up. Need more before someone can say "get this one" </div></div>

I dont.
laugh.gif

aesm.jpg

GAP all the way, the AI make no promises on accuracy, GAP does, AI is a production weapon, GAP is a custom weapon, that important if you want a special LOP or barrel length.

Save your pennies and get an AW. Sell the barrel and get a new one from GAP. You'll come out ahead.

AW performance with a custom barrel...

I'd rather have a GAP on a Surgeon action than an AE...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASU1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your pennies and get an AW. Sell the barrel and get a new one from GAP. You'll come out ahead.

AW performance with a custom barrel...

I'd rather have a GAP on a Surgeon action than an AE... </div></div>

This is what I did.... Put a GAP bartlein on an AW. Made a HUGE difference.

I think bewteen the two you listed though, Id go Crusader because It comes with a GAP bartein barrel.

OR why not an AE with a GAP bartlein barrel, but for the same price you could get a surgeon action and put it in an AICS with a GAP bartlein barrel.

Yes.. there are so many choices.

Why not get an AE and leave it the F@ck alone?
DSC00261.jpg

Honestly my AE shoots better than my AWM ever did. The AE barrels are Walther and the AW are Border barrels.

AE is every bit as good as the AW but I admit it isnt as CDI as the AW. Only key difference is IMO is the non bonded action but its every bit as rugged as any action in an AICS.

Surgeons are nice but what do they offer that an AE dosnt? 60 degree bolt throw and the 2 stage trigger more than outweigh the integral rail and recoil lug that the Surgeon has. Same non frezing bolt as the AW but with a different safety.

Now having said all that I'm looking to switch to a TRG or maybe an Icon just because the AI stock isnt making me happy but I'm gong to try to stick with 60 degree bolts and 2 stage trigger, just want a more ergo stock.

Thanks everyone. I am stepping up from a basic rem 700 and want to spend my $ carefully.

I shoot at my home range out to 600 but i would like to go to a few classes this year and continue to learn.

AE's are great shooters and a bargin for what you get. Great barrel, trigger and smooth action. I have to agree with Jason, get the folder.

How much do you like the AI stock?
How much do you want a 60 degree bolt throw?
How much do you like a two stage trigger?
How long do you want to wait?
Does caliber matter to you?

The AW is completely indestructible. It's incredible.

The Remington... Not so much.

The AE has some features that I don't like. The odd safety being one of them.

All said, if AI made an AICS for the FN SPR or a push feed version they'd outdo themselves.

Might want to revisit the "AE" setup. This year we introduced the complete "AE System", which now consist of more barrel options, calibers and suppressors. We are including the 6.5x47Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, .243Win, .260 and .308 chamberings. Barrels will include 20" - 26", muzzle brake option, fluting options, did I mention they are "Bartlein barrels" chambered by Dave Tooley for AINA. So the AE has now developed into a more "user designed & friendly" weapon by request. Enjoy and let me know if I can assist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically listing some sort of ideas on what you intend to use them for will help in getting answers that apply to you.

Jason has sumed it up. Need more before someone can say "get this one" </div></div>

I dont.
laugh.gif

aesm.jpg
</div></div>

Smartass....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP all the way, the AI make no promises on accuracy, GAP does, AI is a production weapon, GAP is a custom weapon, that important if you want a special LOP or barrel length. </div></div>

While you are correct that AI makes no promises on accuracy...they don't need to. I know of NOBODY who has ever had accuracy issues with AI's and there over around 50 countries that use AI's as their sniper rifles. I doubt that many countries would buy them if there were any accuracy issues. I have owned quite a few AI's and have ALWAYS been able to shoot 1/2 moa 5 shot groups at 200 yards with handloads. That being said...GAP is a first class "custom rifle" and no less of a great rifle.

LVMIKE, Just curious but why do you have 2? I don't know much about AI, but I thought the barrels were interchangeable. They are probably different, but I can't tell. I was just wondering...

By the magazines in them one apears to be a MKI the other a MK II

Unless he has a MKI 8rd magazine, but I don't think that's the case. BUT... you never know.

Black
OD Green
FDE
Desert Tan

Those should be the 4 factory colors out there.

They are very similar, but the mkI (fde skins) was my first. Up till about a yEar ago I had never shot an AI. I tried a few rounds through a friend and liked it soo much I went online to shop for one. I found a deal on the mkI on a thread on arfcom precision rifle forum for the rifle, a leupold mkiv, 5mags, starlight case, ansld some other accessories. I bought it 6am that Monday when the shop opened. I ended up loving the rifle (solid .3 moa @ 300yards) but wishing I had 10 rnd mags. Tacpro had a sale at the end of last year and had the bottom rifle for 2800, so I bought it. I shot the factory barrel for a while and I was half moa but I decided I wanted to try a bartlien on it. Right now it's wearing a 22" med Palma tightbore 1-13.7 to 1-13 gain twist. I haven't shot it enough to tell how it is shooting yet, but initial results have been good.

Once I have a handload for the mkII that shoots like the mkI does, I'll probably part with the mkI in favor of a second mkII or an AW... Probably a 6.5-something or a 7-08.

On the barrel, yes they "interchange" but you'll need an action wrench (thunderbeast arms makes a less expensive alternative to a factory ai wrench), a torque wrech capable of at least upto 125lbs, and a barrel vise. It's not difficult on an AE but requires removing the action from the chassis.

I own a GAP Crusader with a Templar action and it is the smoothest action I have ever experienced and I had previously owned a 700P and a 5R. (I admit the 5R had a good action but it didn't feel as solid as the Templar). IMHO, GAP would be the better choice. I had taken that rifle out for the first time to a competition this past winter and I was able to shoot popups from 200 yds on a 3" target with 9/10 and the 1 round I called the flyer. It will shoot 0.25 MOA ( my group was less that 0.5" at 200 yds with 168 gr Fed BTHP.
Again IMHO, I was actually between buying the AI and the GAP. They run for about the same money just for the rifle. The GAP is a better value because you get a 20 MOA base with Badger rings. The AI you have to get your own mount and rings and you have to get a 20 MOA mount which is more money on top of an already pricy rig. I also prefer the A5 stock over the AI stock. I do not like the thumbhole.
You won't go wrong with either but that is my $0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GAP is a better value because you get a 20 MOA base with Badger rings. The AI you have to get your own mount and rings and you have to get a 20 MOA mount which is more money on top of an already pricy rig. I also prefer the A5 stock over the AI stock. I do not like the thumbhole.</div></div>

It all ultimately depends on what you want. If the 20 MOA base with Badger rings is it, then great..but if you're leaning towards something else, then you're going to have to buy it regardless. The Crusader retails for roughly $300 more ($3725) than the comparable AE MkII (24" fixed) ($3386) so that's $300 that you can use to purchase whatever rings you prefer.

As for the thumbhole, that's just one of those things that's ultimately personal preference. Best thing to do is to try both and see what feels more comfortable for you.

Yes all AI Picatinny mounts are flat, reasoning behind this is you can either run 18, 28 or 45moa 1-piece mounts. Now to the point of getting a 20moa base with GAP, sure if you chose that, but that still requires rings to mount the optics with. So that brings us to the price point examples directly from TRIAD Tactical (for all Badger Ordnance) and MHSA & SRT (for all AI):

Badger Rings 306-08, Standard .823, 30mm Our price: $144.95
AI Part #6371 30mm/18moa: Your price: $195.84

Badger Rings 306-14, Schmidt Bender 34mm, 1.0 Our price: $169.95
AI Part #3108 (34mm/18moa) or #3436 (34mm/28moa) or #5656 (34mm/45moa): Your price: $195.84

So you simple bolt our 1-piece mount on, no alignment, no lapping, simple and as easy as it comes. Not much of a price difference there. Hope this helps.

Your gonna need to find out if you like the AE stock. I love them, but some people definately do not. You could always have GAP drop the crusader barreled action into an AICS. You could also build up what you have.

I think accuracy is the last consideration since they will all shoot well.

I have always wanted an AW so that is my next gun(inbound now). I should have started with one. My journey to here was an expensive one which makes the AW seem cheap at this point.