• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW Magazine Issues

davjones

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
Missouri, USA
Is there a second party that is making AIAW magazines? The reason I ask is I'm have magazine issues but only with magazines without the AI stamp on the bottom plate.

I have four magazines two of them have an AI stamp on the bottom plate and two them do not. The two magazines without the AI stamp have feeding problems, the bolt will over ride the round and I have to push up the magazine to get the round to feed. With one of the magazines it only happens occasionaly but the other one does it every time I use it. The two magazines with the AI stamp have not caused me a bit of trouble.

One of the problem magazines came with the rifle. The other faulty magazine was one of three I ordered from another vendor, the other two of the three magazines had AI stamps.

Re: AIAW Magazine Issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a second party that is making AIAW magazines? The reason I ask is I'm have magazine issues but only with magazines without the AI stamp on the bottom plate.

I have four magazines two of them have an AI stamp on the bottom plate and two them do not. The two magazines without the AI stamp have feeding problems, the bolt will over ride the round and I have to push up the magazine to get the round to feed. With one of the magazines it only happens occasionaly but the other one does it every time I use it. The two magazines with the AI stamp have not caused me a bit of trouble.

One of the problem magazines came with the rifle. The other faulty magazine was one of three I ordered from another vendor, the other two of the three magazines had AI stamps.

</div></div>
Forgot to add to my orginal post: Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem also?

I have, and usually it is a loading issue, but could very well be a spring issue. Usually if you not careful, because the magazine is a double stack, you can have a round in the magazine that is not seating properly which causes them to "stick" a bit. Although you can check the catch to see it is at the same depth.

That said, over the years there have been changes to AI, it could have been a lot made during the receivership time, so again, a spring or spec issue. But I have one that will do it if I am not careful. I generally run my finger over the rounds to make sure they are seated properly. It usually takes care of it. you have to watch too if you "tap" the magazine into place you can pop the rounds either out or at least out of place, which is another issue to remember. If you leave the bolt closed you can tap it and help, but with the bolt open they will want to pop out of the top.

The magazine is designed to be top loaded, so you can load an AW magazine with it inserted into the rifle from the port. Because of that, it's not a super tight fit, you have to make sure the rounds are seated right.

Buy a new magazine and drive on. Mark the problem children and know, you have to check seating before closing the bolt.

What is the rifle? If it is not an AIAW, then who did the work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the rifle? If it is not an AIAW, then who did the work?</div></div>

I too am curious. Is this an AW or another brand of rifle made to work with AW mags?

I've had this happen to me using an AW rifle with AW mags. No magazine design is perfect. Watch for the issues Frank mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the rifle? If it is not an AIAW, then who did the work? </div></div>

It is not an AIAW rifle but one build by a reputable gunsmith that advertises on this site. The rifle was built with an AICS 2.0 chassis and a Badger Ordnance receiver. I hesitate to mention the builder since I'm not convinced it is a rifle problem. The fact that two of the magazines work without a problem leads me to believe it is a magazine problem. I'm in contact with the builder to replace the original magazine.

A point of interest for me is the fact that the two magazines with an AI stamp on the bottom plate work flawlessly and the ones without the stamp have feeding problems. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not an AIAW rifle but one build by a reputable gunsmith that advertises on this site. The rifle was built with an AICS 2.0 chassis and a Badger Ordnance receiver. </div></div>

that could be your problem right there. the AIAW mags are not a drop in fit to the AICS chassis without magazine catch modification. OSUARCHITECT has figured out what needs to be done to make this mod, and i am sure he could help out. are you sure your running AW mags and not AICS mags?

Maybe your rifle has become a little snooty and will only eat from the superior AI mags and refuses to eat from the impostors.

If it is actually using AICS mags I have one I think its a Badger brand mag that gives me trouble sometimes in my AICS.

Since it's not an AW it is a combination of both, probably a slight difference in the magazine, especially since the chassis is not designed for the AW magazine and the height of the action is off enough to miss different magazines because of the variances.

So you either need to adjust the receiver in the chassis or realize magazine are not precision made and you'll have variances your rifle will not respond too every time because the action is a bit higher and the chassis was not made for AW magazines.

Sell those magazines that don't work and buy new ones and check em when you get them.

Also check if you're using the double stack AW mag it happens on both sides which means if one side will load and the other side won't, will be a sign you need to adjust the action in the chassis. Stagger the load in the mag and check for feeding.

I would 2nd LL's comments. On this you most likely have some "older" AW magazines, different coating and finish appearance. It will be much easier to simply replace the older mags with new ones to resolve the issue than messing with the system. Sell your older mags and move on to the range. Best wishes and hope this helps.

Just curious about one thing, what caliber is the rifle? I'm assuming it's a .308, but if it's a .338, aren't the AICS and AIAW mags the same for that caliber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the rifle? If it is not an AIAW, then who did the work? </div></div>

It is not an AIAW rifle but one build by a reputable gunsmith that advertises on this site. The rifle was built with an AICS 2.0 chassis and a Badger Ordnance receiver. I hesitate to mention the builder since I'm not convinced it is a rifle problem. The fact that two of the magazines work without a problem leads me to believe it is a magazine problem. I'm in contact with the builder to replace the original magazine.

A point of interest for me is the fact that the two magazines with an AI stamp on the bottom plate work flawlessly and the ones without the stamp have feeding problems. I'm not sure if that means anything or not. </div></div>I follow your logic with the fact that two mags work and two dont. The reason I did ask though is because I remember this issue happening before with Badger receivers.

I would purchase an additional two magazines if it were me, and if the issue persists, give the smith a jingle.

FWIW I would be willing to test the potentially bad mags in my AX if you'd like. I shoot quite a bit, so I could put them through there paces for you, free of charge. Let me know.

-Bob

It's a 260 built by GAP... so I would just call them to see about having them check the receiver to be sure, at the same time replace the magazines.

With a double stack AW you have to be careful when you load it, like in my original post. I have video of me shooting my AW in 260 where the same thing happens and the bolt goes over the rounds. Its more operator error than an "issue" and doesn't do it with every magazine or every time. Magazines are magazine, they are assembly line built and not necessary all 100% spec.

My AW does it, watch the Barrel Heat / POI Shift Video you can see me do it in living color, you have to make sure you load the mag right and that all the rounds are seated properly.

Really I would just change the magazines, especially if it loads from both sides with the good ones.

I had similar problems when I put a surgeon that had been modified for AW mags into a AICS 2.0 chassis. The magazines would be held loosely in the magwell, not tight up against the action and occasionally there would be feeding problems because the mag was sitting too low. I built a new mag catch that was a little long and filed it down until my mags were seated nice and tight and haven't had a single feeding problem in the last 1500 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had similar problems when I put a surgeon that had been modified for AW mags into a AICS 2.0 chassis. The magazines would be held loosely in the magwell, not tight up against the action and occasionally there would be feeding problems because the mag was sitting too low. I built a new mag catch that was a little long and filed it down until my mags were seated nice and tight and haven't had a single feeding problem in the last 1500 rounds.

</div></div>

This is what I would try.

I'll bet the two that work are barely working, someday some tolerances might increase and none of them may work. I'd try making a longer mag latch and then getting it to work with the two "bad" mags, once it works with those I'm willing to bet the other two still work fine. I'd have to see the gun and mags and see what wiggle room there was, but I'm sure there's a simple way to make it right.

sounds to me like you need to send your rifle back, as jasonk said i'd be willing to bet the it is only just working with the 'good magazines'.

try taking the magazines apart and giving them a clean and checking the the spring is correctly fitted and not damaged

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misterp36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds to me like you need to send your rifle back, as jasonk said i'd be willing to bet the it is only just working with the 'good magazines'.

try taking the magazines apart and giving them a clean and checking the the spring is correctly fitted and not damaged </div></div>

I tried to see if there was any difference between the "good" magazines and the "bad" magazine in the amount of up and down play but I couldn't measure any difference. I'm going to be close to Kansas City next week I will see if I can stop by GAP and have them look at my rifle; for piece of mind if for no other reason.
If I get a chance I'll switch the spring/follwer assembly between the bad magazine and a good one and see if the problem stays with the magazine housing or follows the spring/follower assembly.