• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AIAWSM bolt swap

Jmilera

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Gents I am in need of some professional advise, I just purchased a new AX338 lapua so I have my old 338 lapua AW and an extra AW in 300 win. My question is can I convert my 338 AW into a 7 mm rem mag by putting on my GAP barrel in 7 mm by taking the 338 barrel off and using my 300 AW bolt on it. The reason I would like to do this is because my old AW338 has a folding stock, and my current 300 has a fixed stock. The premise behind all this sh..t is that I just received my Thunderbeast and favor the folder over the fixed stock. Thanks in advance gents.
Joe M

I might be wrong , but I think they are identical action and different bolt faces. I swapped the bolts to see if they would cycle, and they work fine.

Yes. The Magnum action can support 300wm or 338lm if you have the correct faced bolt.

and here come the two AI masters... LOL looks like you'll be good to go. You could also call mile high or GAP and i'm sure they would also know.

This is redundant after Poison's and BM's post but AI still makes the AW300/338 conversion kit per Tom Irwin (quote below). The bolt body length is the same regardless of caliber and uses the striker mechanism from the rifle/bolt combination you already own.

It is possible to buy an AW300 barrel, bolt and magazine and convert from AW338.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

As for the 7mm Rem Mag, when it first came out, the Super Magnum was offered in 300 win mag, 338 LM, and 7 mm Rem Mag per the factory literature I have.

Regards.

Paul