• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX...I'm in love!

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
After messing around for years with .308, I went to 6.5 Creedmoor in a couple of Remington actions with Bartlein barrels. I put these in Manners stocks and shot ok with them but it was nothing that I considered outstanding. Between me and the rifle and the factory ammo, I figured there was enough error that I'd never get the groups that I see some people post. I ended up reloading for rifle cartridges and played around a little and groups shrank but I still figured that I should probably bed the things even though they were in mini-chassis but, never having bedded a rifle, I never got around to it. Ended up getting rid of the Remington barreled actions and was going to have someone build something for me on a custom action and send them one of my stocks and have it bedded to see what would happen. A wild hair took over and I said, "Screw it, I've always wanted an AI so I'll go ahead and fork out the money for one". Got it in, not without a bit of buyer's remorse, I don't mind saying, and mounted a S&B in a Spuhr mount on it (LOVE the Spuhr mount, by the way). Finally took it to the range today...

At 100 yards (100 meters, where applicable for the scope) I sighted in a few hunting rifles that had new scopes or had scopes changed around or that had never yet been sighted in before wheeling in the case containing the AI. I could feel the stares as I took it out, put the bolt in, folded out the stock and the Atlas bipod legs and placed it on the bench. I was worried that it wouldn't be very accurate (not just as a general fear but because some ass on the Hide had said in a thread that he'd heard that AIs were durable but not particularly accurate) and that I would have a HUGE attack of buyer's remorse. Anyway, I began shooting for a group to dial things in. Turns out that boresighting had done a great job of getting it on-target and I punched a hole perfectly on the intersection of the two lines that I was aiming at with my fifth shot. The weight of the rifle and the excellent trigger made the shooting a breeze and quite pleasurable. I had only a single sight-in target that I was working off of for this, which was the fourth rifle that I had sighted in with said target, and I shifted aim to a hole made by a .300 Win Mag high on the target where I'd mistakenly cranked the elevation dial in the wrong direction while zeroing that rifle. I shot and couldn't believe that I saw no hole appear! No way could I have missed so far that I couldn't see where I shot! I checked to make sure that the scope or mount hadn't somehow come loose and then fired another shot. Another miss?!?! The idea that I was shooting THROUGH the hole came into my head and I said, "Not a chance this thing groups THAT well, especially not with me shooting it and with no time behind a rifle for more than a year". I shifted my aim slightly to the outside edge of the hole and fired again and saw the hole enlarge! Amazing! I fired another round AT the hole and again saw no evidence of a bullet hole appearing OR the hole enlarging. Sure enough, this rifle was putting factory 140gr 6.5 Creedmoor through a .30 caliber bullet hole at 100 meters! NO buyer's remorse at this point. This thing is amazing. I guess it should be at the price point of it and the scope but I never thought that it would be THAT good. I'd had a little remorse at the news of the AIAT and it's price point but not a lot. NOW, with seeing how this thing shoots, I have no remorse at all. Now I just have to get to a range that lets me stretch it out.

Absolutely in love with this rifle!

Dude..... there is this thing called a paragraph..... google it.

I'm sure your happy though, they look like great rifles.

Paragraphs? Yes, and the use of "your" and "you're" is probably available by Google, as well. I forgive you. Love the Tuscaloosa area. Stayed there some when I traveled to Demopolis for work.

Not sure where my punctuation is off, though if I did it wouldn't be off, would it? Still.... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/overrated

The rifle is amazing, though.

Last edited:
I read what he was putting down perfectly. Go critique somewhere else ass clown. Great shooting and congrats!!!

Paragraphs? [B]Yes, and the use of "your" and "you're" is probably available by Google, as well[/B]. I forgive you. Love the Tuscaloosa area. Stayed there some when I traveled to Demopolis for work.

Not sure where my punctuation is off, though if I did it wouldn't be off, would it? Still.... Overrated | Define Overrated at Dictionary.com

The rifle is amazing, though.

LOL!!!

Love the guy with the cross correcting others..... Here you go.... Google is a proper name and should be capitalized. I'm not sure if it's a verb yet either.

Awesome stick OP.... I have one that's new to me and I'm equally impressed.

I have tried in the past to compromise and have a rifle that isn't TOO heavy so that I can use it in situations other than on the range and haven't experienced shooting with something this heavy before. That's probably part of the equation. Did not realize that accuracy THAT good would be THIS easy. Blew me away. Trigger is fine, too. I've had lighter and have not messed with adjusting this one as of yet but, with the weight of the gun, it really is a non-issue.

This is also my first time using the Atlas bipod. Very nice.

Spuhr mount is spoiling me in regard to mounting securely and leveling easily.

I told myself long ago that I would never spend more than $2K on any one gun or gun-related item but this seems worth it (sort of). I have agreed with the "buy once, cry once" attitude but there is, with everything, a point of diminishing returns. Yeah, I know a gun costing half as much can probably do this, too, but I have never experienced putting multiple bullets into a SINGLE hole while seeing the hole enlarge ONLY because I intentionally made it so. I've also always believed that "it's not the bow, it's the Indian" but, in this case, I have to give most of the credit to the "bow".

I can now see why some of the guys with AIs are so smug when people who haven't spent the $$$ on them try to trash the expenditure.

My only regret is not doing the exhaustive research that I normally do when purchasing something, especially something costing this much. I am sure that I would have waited for the AT if I had known about it in time. Part of my reasoning when buying the AX was that I could always get a significant percentage of the purchase price out of it be resale. Now? Not so much. Still, how often am I going to switch calibers? I would make more use of a switch-barrel system on a hunting rifle than on something like this.

You can switch barrels w your AX. Buy another barrel in another caliber and screw it on yourself. It won't take you 15 min if you have a wrench and a vice.

Stipple the gripping areas, and it will let you do all the dirty things
you were afraid to ask the other stocks to do.

The OP mentions an interesting point I've seen in other similar threads, and that is the possible effect of AI's weight on accuracy. I wonder how much this acts as a handicap to proper shooting technique (not bashing you Double_edge at all, I'm no expert marksman in any sense). Has anyone tried shooting an AI action out of a lighter stock/chassis and seen any measurable difference in results?

The OP mentions an interesting point I've seen in other similar threads, and that is the possible effect of AI's weight on accuracy. I wonder how much this acts as a handicap to proper shooting technique (not bashing you Double_edge at all, I'm no expert marksman in any sense). Has anyone tried shooting an AI action out of a lighter stock/chassis and seen any measurable difference in results?

The AI rifles don't shoot well because of their weight, rather because of the way they are put together. If AI made a 6lb rifle it would definitely shoot just as well as their 13lb rifle. The recoil would be more pronounced on the 6lb gun and if the accuracy suffers because of that, well, I'd pass that as shooter error. Follow through is the same as is shooting fundamentals and/or technique regardless of the weight of a rifle.

Great post. You usually get what you pay for in precision rifles and, if not, the builder will usually make it right for you at no charge other than maybe shipping! Your review made me smile, since I just preordered the new AI AXMC 308 short action with 243 & 260 barrel conversions. Can't wait for it to arrive and already have a new S&B 5-25X mil/mil MSR to adorn it. Atlas QD with AI 20 MOA scope mount too.

I hear a lot of guys talking about technique, but my experience has been you can tell pretty quickly if it's a shooter.

I have one and it's a hammer. I have a .308 barrel and a .260 barrel. They're both equally accurate. I could not be happier with mine.

We took out an AX this weekend in 6.5 CM, with Hornady 140 AMAX's, Kahles 6-24, Spuhr mount, we got a .315 group @ 100. Took it out to 300 and had a sub 1" group. Not too shabby with factory ammo. These are just lasers. Gonna take it to 1K next weekend and see what she does. Also took out a 260 and groups were .300 @ 100. Again with a Kahles 6-24 using reloads. Gotta love AI. It's always fun shooting what we sell.

-Dave B-

Last edited:
I apologize for the confusion. I'm not saying AIs shoot well due to their weight (they clearly shoot outstandingly) but rather what percentage of shooters improvement is acquired by reduced recoil movement and feel.
The AI rifles don't shoot well because of their weight, rather because of the way they are put together. If AI made a 6lb rifle it would definitely shoot just as well as their 13lb rifle. The recoil would be more pronounced on the 6lb gun and if the accuracy suffers because of that, well, I'd pass that as shooter error. Follow through is the same as is shooting fundamentals and/or technique regardless of the weight of a rifle.

I apologize for the confusion. I'm not saying AIs shoot well due to their weight (they clearly shoot outstandingly) but rather what percentage of shooters improvement is acquired by reduced recoil movement and feel.

My shooting most certainly seems to be, at least initially.

If I have not shot for a while, I have more of a flinch reflex (as well as anticipating recoil more) and don't shoot as well. After just a few rounds I settle in and shoot markedly better. From the first shot with the AX, I understood (or my subconscious did) that there wasn't going to be any pain or even much movement of the rifle AT ALL so all I was concentrating on was holding it steady, loading the bipod, and trigger press (and the trigger isn't an issue on the AIAX). Still shaking my head at the "group" that I shot.

Another internet fable disproved is that the new Hornady loadings for the Creedmoor don't shoot well. Maybe they DON'T in someone's gun but I was shooting new ammo with the new "Match" logo shipped to me just a couple of weeks ago from Mile High and it performed VERY well.

Still thinking it's a high price for a gun but it sure feels nice. Other than houses and vehicles, this is the most expensive single item I've ever purchased. I will probably keep the thing just because it's at the top of the heap. I never really regret a purchase when I know I have the best of something. I almost always regret when I drift toward cheap.

I couldn't agree more! I have a recent acquisition of an AX308 as well. My second time taking it out (first one being at a range where I couldn't get comfortable due to their setup - still tried to zero it, though), I shot a three shot cold bore group that measured .119" at 100 yards. My worst group of the day was .28". It is unreal how good this rifle makes you look; so much so, that I agree that it's the bow and not the Indian! Just awesome...