• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX MC Caliber Conversion commonality w/ AIAX 338

AEROMechanic

Always Learning....
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
Defuniak Springs FL
I recall someone asking something similar here a little bit ago but cant seem to find the thread.

My question is, would the upcoming .300WM and .308 conversion kits for the Magnum MC work in a AX338? I'm pretty sure the bolt and mags would work just fine it's more a question of barrel tenon differences or similarities.

Any info would be great guys.

I believe the old 300WM barrel for the AW has the same threads as the (old) AX, so that could be a consideration.
Don't know about the new style barrel, but I'm sure one of the PSR owners or AI insiders will let you know. (I doubt it'll work, as they said it wont work the other way around, which it will with the 308mc)

hmmmm, I don't want to beat a dead horse,but I just want to be 100% clear...

So does this mean the new 300wm and 308 conversions will be able to be put in the 2013 AX338's. The only difference being that instead of being 'quickly' changed, its just using the old regular changing method.

On the 338AX you are missing the ability to install the mag adapter if you want a short action caliber. I am sure you can use the PSR 300WM stuff on the 338 AX. But not the 308 stuff.

On the 338AX you are missing the ability to install the mag adapter if you want a short action caliber. I am sure you can use the PSR 300WM stuff on the 338 AX. But not the 308 stuff.

Why not? I'm sure if I were to buy a .308 conversion kit it would come with the mag adapter and would fit the gen 1 AX338

Because the AX mag well does not fit the adapted. You may be able to modify your chassis.

There is a modification in the PSR / AXMC that allows the plastic insert to be held in place. The AX338 does not have this modification to the mag well, I am not sure if the new ones will or not either. Plus you have a bolt issue.

The best you can do is the same as always go to another caliber in the same family, or if they make the 300 parts available possibly step down to that.

To the best of my knowledge the AX338 can not be converted to a short action even with the insert. And you would need a PSR bolt, not the AX308MC bolt, they are different. The PSR bolt is a long action, the AXMC is a short action.

I thought the new AX 338 was multi caliber and could be changed to 300wm or 308 win.

They are not talking about the AX338MC but the previous AX338, the question will be if they offer the long action 308 bolt.

I think much of it confusing the fact the AX338MC is the PSR rifle, will AI offer the PSR LA 308 bolt ?

With the AX308MC, you'd have to get Tom to say if they are gonna offer the LA 308 Bolt, however the insert still does not work in the AX338.

The AX338MC has the insert Modification the previous AX338 does not ...

They are not talking about the AX338MC but the previous AX338, the question will be if they offer the long action 308 bolt.

I think much of it confusing the fact the AX338MC is the PSR rifle, will AI offer the PSR LA 308 bolt ?

With the AX308MC, you'd have to get Tom to say if they are gonna offer the LA 308 Bolt, however the insert still does not work in the AX338.

The AX338MC has the insert Modification the previous AX338 does not ...

This post cleared everything up. Thanks LL