• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 223 mags?????

PAYDIRT

Adair County Long Guns
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2017
N.E. Okla.
Going to order a Bravo for my 700 and the 223 mags are kinda slim pickings. Did a Google search and didn't find much. Any ideas?

They dont make them anymore. A few sold in the PX last week and they are the best but hard to find. Most people use Accurate or MDT mags in the AI pattern 223 bolt guns.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
I run Accurate Mag .223 10rd AICS pattern mags in my Tikka .223 in a KRG Bravo chassis. Runs great, feeds very smooth.
20181225_123321.jpg

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Accurate mag all the way. If you did manage to find some original genuine aics 223 mags you don’t want those splitting bulging pieces of crap.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I have a bunch of genuine AICS 223 mags, and they are garbage. Bulging, barely fit in bottom metal, spreading feed lip pieces of absolute garbage.

Get the Accurate mags, and mill out the front lip for more room. Or buy the MDT's.

Wish we could just get chassis systems made for PMAG's.

Wish we could just get chassis systems made for PMAG's.
I assume you mean AR-15 magazines by that.

Not gonna happen so long as the majority of bolt action rifles sold in this country are chambered in 308 - based cartridges

My ACIS 223 mags have never given me any trouble. I have seen a lot of reports of them splitting. Clearly there are good ones and bad ones. Beware.

I assume you mean AR-15 magazines by that.

Not gonna happen so long as the majority of bolt action rifles sold in this country are chambered in 308 - based cartridges

Already has happened but only MDT is on board.

You’re OAL would be pretty limited to 2.26 with standard pmags. Accurate mags are pretty easily to modify and allow for Oal way past the 3.050 Mark.

Accurate are great. Sometimes you can find them cheaper labeled/sold as ruger 223 scout rifle mags. That is if you don't mind having the ruger screaming chicken on the bottom of the mag.

I still can't figure out why Magpul hasn't thrown their hat into the ring on 223 AICS mags. One would think MDT has made a killing on their 223 poly mags, which, as everyone else has mentioned, work great.

Reactions: 308pirate
I used to run genuine AI 223 mags... the first ones I ordered years and years ago right when they started offering them are still holding together and work great after 10k+ rounds through them, never an issue with them. Some later batch ones I purchased right before AI discontinued them have already split at the seams-- I had to epoxy them back together.

Accurate 223 mags worked great in my 223AI Tikka T3, very smooth and reliable and easy feeding. Take a rat tail file to the front of the liner to get another .080" or so of OAL. However, they won't run in my new 223AI Nucleus build; on a couple of the mags the bolt runs over the round without stripping it, and on the others the tip of the bullet jumps to the 12 o'clock position on the breech face of the barrel and stops up the bolt when the feed lips release the round. I may need to do feedlip tweaks, hopefully the plastic liner will "follow" the recontoured feed lips.

MDT mags run without mods in my new 223AI Nucleus, but the first 4 rounds out of the magazine are very difficult to strip and require a *lot* of effort on the bolt handle. I need to look into that as well.

Box stock Howa 1500 in a KRG 180-Xreay stock. Every mag I've ever bought for it has worked from the get go without any need for modification: Magpul, Alpha, MDT plastic, MDT steel. Doesn't matter how hard I pull back, push up, or push fwd on the mags, they all work all the time.

The MDT steel mags were super rough feeding the first few rounds due to the feedlips, but never once did they ever NOT feed.