• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 338 stock mag well

shepherm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2006
West Oklahoma
I have an AICS 338 stock but the mag well seem wide for the 338 CIP mags, how much side to side play should there be between mag and the mag well? Can someone with a AICS 338 stock measure their mag well for me?
Thanks

Cant give you dimensions as my stock is at the smith right now but can say that with a mag in it, there isn't hardly any slop or at least to me there isn't.

Thanks for the replies! So mine has more space.. I purchased it here on the hide a few months back without a mag and the mags just recently came back in stock.. Mine mag well is a lot wider, I wounder why..

That is the wrong mag for that chassis.
You shoud be using the double stack single feed AICS mag or a AW double stack double feed (if your action can take it)
That is a short action not long action chassis.

I thought the same thing after looking at the other post on the AI stocks, but that is a 338 CIP mag in there which I believe is longer than the 308 mags.
The measurements I took:
Mag well:
3.917" x .955"

338 CIP mag
3.852" x .723"

Any thoughts?

Can you remove the plastic stocksides and take a couple of photos?

Use a dial caliber and take some measurements, length and witdh. I will take the measurements off of my chassiss which is a CIP to give you your measurements later today. Your magazine in your picture does not have a CIP stamp on the floor plate are you sure that is a CIP magazine.

Last edited:
I agree with AndyP, something looks weird in the mag well, might be worth taking a few pics without the stock sides

Have you asked the hide member that you purchased it from what magazines this chassis is supposed to take? It looks like it would take the new double stack magazine for the AX series, but I'm not aware of AI making a AICS that takes those mags. Is it possible that the magwell was modified by someone?

I am getting .650 at the front of the magazine well where it is the narrowest and .765 at the rear which is the widest point in front of the magazine release. The magazine should have 338 CIP stamped on the rear spine of the magazine, I was wrong I thought it was on the floor plate. Something is weird by just looking at your chassiss block in front of the magazine well, the machined finish to the aluminum is not smooth it looks like it was welded. This is what my block looks like in front of the magazine well.

Last edited:
Also take a look at how thick the walls are on my magazine well compared to how thin yours are, I do not think that is an AICS block under those skins, if it is it has been modified.

Well I'm just let out of town for a couple weeks so I'm trying to see if someone can take the skins off and take some pictures.

Badshot308

I sent a PM to the guy I got it from tonight hopefully he knows what mag fits. It doesn't appear to be modified in the mag well.

Who Dat-

I see what you mean about the welded part... I've been looking at more online and cannot seem to find any welded like mine. My mag well measures 3.917" x .955" and when comparing to the photos of yours its clearly wider, the sides are thinner.

Hi there,
I have just seen this thread and would like to reinforce the desire to see photos of the frame without the stock sides. THere are several things which look wrong about this so far.
1. We do not normally stamp part numbers on to the magazine and the number which is stamped, 4746 is not a magazine part number, it is for the base only. That aside the magazine does look like a .338 CIP.
2. The frame looks old and looks like it is a short action and not a long action, but a .338 magazine would not fit length wise into a short action magwell.
3. It could be that there is a welded section added to the magwell sides in order to lengthen it for a .338.
4. There is a weld forward of the magazine section which suggests this is a very old welded frame or one that has been modified.

Remove the stock sides, take some pictures and I think all will be revealed.

When did you buy it and who did you buy it from?

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

This is great to see you chime in on this Tom. Product support and information at its best. Makes me feel that much better about the AICS and quality of product I just purchased a couple of weeks ago.

If you're having trouble getting the stock sides off, the screws come off with a 2.5 mm Allen key. If you don't have a metric set, a 3/32" Allen key could be used if they aren't on tight. The 3/32" is a little small, but the stock side screws aren't supposed be torqued down very tight to begin with.

Yes, thank you Tom and everyone else for their comments so far. I am still out of town but trying to get someone back home to take pictures this weekend. If not I will be back next weekend and will post pictures.

When did you buy it and who did you buy it from?
I bought it from a member here on the hide at the end of last year.

Thank you all,
Mark

Mark,
We will look forward to seeing the pictures but do not be surprised if it will show that you have an older chassis which has been modified by someone. I would ask the guy you bought it from what he was doing with it.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Looks like someone took two short action chassis, cut and welded them to produce a long action chassis capable of accepting a double stack magazine. Now the big question is, what magazine did the person modify this for? Has the seller gotten back to you with this information yet?

sorry to say this but looks like you've been cheated out of your money. personally if i could, i would return it and get my moneyback.

sorry to say this but looks like you've been cheated out of your money. personally if i could, i would return it and get my moneyback.

This is a bummer and sickening... Not sure what to do now because the guy who sold it to me said he bought it from someone else..

Something I do not understand is the welded area in the middle is only 3/8" if it was a short made into a long wouldn't they need to add .875"?

I'm going to guess that they didn't simple cut a short action and weld it, they instead used two old chassis and cut the sections in a manner that would give them the needed length. Send Tom Irwin a PM and have him look at this thread again and see what his opinion is.

We have looked at your photos and here is our assessment.
The chassis is an older welded construction probably pre 2001. It looks like a piece has been welded into the magazine well to allow the use of a long action magazine. We do not make any magazine to fit this mag well. The front of the chassis has been cut and re-welded in order to fit the original stock sides and an additional stock side hole has been drilled. There are two additional holes approximately 18mm in front of the original magazine catch so it looks like an insert may have been used to allow a long action to be fed using a short action magazine.
That explains what you have but we do not know what you can do about it.
Regards,
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International