• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS for 700 Questions

nnorris

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2009
West GA
New here so take it easy on me please.
sick.gif

Traded away my LR308 last week and picked up the 700 LTR with the HS stock and flutted 20" barrel. In the next few months I plan to pick up an AICS 1.5 or 2.0 and have a few questions.

Do I have a short action or long action? How hard is it to remove the action/barrel and bed in the AICS? Anyone have a link to a step by step write-up? Besides the folding stock is there any other advanges to the 2.0?

Here is a pic of my new rifle (first bolt action I have owned btw). Thanks for the help

DSC00126.jpg

Re: ACIS for 700 Questions

short action

the bedding if any remains in the stock

swapping actions is easy stuff to do

welcome to the Hide

Noris,
I assume you have a ltr 308. If so its a short action. As for taking it out of the stock, Just 2 bolts in thru the floorplate. It is an easy swap to do. The aics should come with the bolts needed to mount the action in the stock. It may/may not need to be bedded. Swap it shoot it see how it groups.

SOTA

It's a short action. The AICS 2.0 has an adjustable cheek piece and folds the 1.5 doesn't. Unscrew the action bolts on the bottom of the stock to remove it, but you'll need a torque wrench to properly torque the screws to 65in/lbs. The AICS can be bedded but it's not entirely necessary. Use the search function and you'll find plently of how-tos.

It is a 308

I will do some more seaches to see if I can find the writeup. If it is as easy as you guys make it seem I may not need it though. Thanks

You don't need to bed a AICS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need to bed a AICS </div></div>

That is a bit open to discussion

Actually the 2.0 is the folder, the 1.5 has the adjustable cheek piece. Set the torque to 68 inch/lbs and have at her.

Hmmm i just noticed that the LTR seems to have more butt spacer padding than the standard 26" 700P

Enjoy the AICS when you get her
smile.gif

I did the same exact thing with a 700 5R. What are you going to use for base and rings with the AICS.

i have a 2.0 and love it, that being said the next stock i plan on buying is the mcree precision, its a aluminum stock just like the AI but doesnt use skins.also its much less expensive.just my 2 cents

Sign up for the online training, trigger school will help you more than you will ever know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacBud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be a little helpful, maybe it won't.
http://www.408shooter.com/aics.htm </div></div>

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: christpher7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the same exact thing with a 700 5R. What are you going to use for base and rings with the AICS. </div></div>

I have a set of Super Sniper rings I used on my LR308. I was planning on picking up a one piece base and using these. I might look into some other options though. The rifle currently has Leupold bases and rings (came with rifle) and I am not a real big fan of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sign up for the online training, trigger school will help you more than you will ever know. </div></div>

What online training/trigger school are you refering to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nnorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sign up for the online training, trigger school will help you more than you will ever know. </div></div>

What online training/trigger school are you refering to?</div></div>

SH online training

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exedotbat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the AICS come with a magazine? </div></div>

Yes its a 5 rd mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exedotbat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the AICS come with a magazine? </div></div>

When I bought mine a couple years ago, it came with a 5 rounder.

To the OP, welcome to the hide. The AICS is perfect for the P700, that was my first stick and still shoots .5 moa. No need to bed it.

Enjoy!

I know this is kinda obvious, but if you can't get to the bolts because you don't have a long enough extension, then you can just remove the stock sides and get to it that way.

Re: AICS for 700 Questions

With the questions your asking about AIC chassis, Its quite obvious you haven't been around one. Drive and shoot one before you make a big investment and find out a chassis is not for you! I own one and sometimes I think I would have been better off with a McMillian or a Manners. They are excellent platforms but not for everyone. Oh Yeah, Mines bedded. krw

I took a 3/16" allen and cut the short end off, installed it into the 3/8" socket with 3/16" hex channel which had the small allen set screw to lock it in. Use that with the Seekonk pre set t handle I got years ago from Stacey Blankenship.

The long shaft allen's are hard to find sometimes.

As several here have covered, I would recommend you check one out first for first and ergo feel as well. If you desire, send me a PM with you phone # and I will take the time to discuss all the pro's and con's to the AICS systems.
The proper torque on the AICS is 53 inch lbs by the way, I saw it listed earlier incorrectly.
Another issue was "bedding or not, it is open for discussion", again incorrect. This system does not require bedding and that is one of the shear fundamentals of "why you are buying the AICS over ________". We do not recommend bedding, this will void your warranty #1, adds extra time and expense, and negates one of the simplest pro's to the system. Many have, some have found improvement, but most would agree, not required or would be done again.
Again, this is why I try to respond to as many of the Accuracy International post, to assist and with that, it is an open invitation to discuss at your convenience. Happy holidays.