• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS mag feed issue

cdq8047

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I picked up a manners tikka t4 stock and a Red Snake bottom metal for the 300 win mag pattern magazines. The rifle I am putting together is in 7mm.

The issue I am getting is that running the bolt to chamber the first round slides all the rounds still in the magazine to the front of the magazine, where they are then getting stuck below the feed ramp. Because the nose of the second bullet can’t clear the ramp, the next round doesn’t chamber without manually pushing the next round to the rear of the magazine. Has anyone come up with a good fix to prevent rounds from sliding forward in the magazine (I am running an accurate mag).

I’d like to bed everything together, but I don’t want to do anything irreversible until I get the feeding sorted out.

On a Remington SA you would notch the feed ramp. IDK if the fix is the same for Tikka. It seems like it would be.

Is there any way you could get the magazine to lock into the bottom metal a little further back?

Otherwise it seems you'll need to clearance the feed ramp to allow the bullet tip to not catch.

Get an AICS magazine with a binder plate which will hold the rounds to the rear of the mag or get the feed ramp notched.

Thanks for the replies. My current mag does not have a binder plate, and I am not sure that the binder plate would be thick enough to ensure reliable feeding on a new mag that has one. I disassembled the mag and the follower spring is centered towards the back of the mag. I was thinking I could file away the front of the follower as shown (part to be filed in red) on the image below:

MagFileAway.png

And then I could print up a spacer as shown below to prevent bullets in the magazine from sliding forward until they are at the top of the magazine. Can anyone see any problems with this approach?
MagFileAwayII.png

A n unmodified Tikka long action will not function with an unmodified 3.715” AICS magazine.

MDT produces their LA Tikka chassis with a proprietary 3.560” AICS pattern magazine for this reason.

A spacer in the front would work in theory, but bullet noses dragging on a 3D print is a recipe for nose down jams, and you have to consider spring clearances as well.

I would either notch the feed ramp, or if you have the ability, solder strips on the interior of the magazine to keep the cartridges back at the shoulder.