• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS mag feed with issues pointing ammo into chamber.... 6.5 creedmoor HELP????

postal

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2004
Kalifornyuk
I just converted my savage 308 to 6.5creed. I've been using a CDI AICS setup with no issues in 308, but in 6.5... sometimes the round starts into the chamber, and seems pointed 'up' and the bullet tip catches. I have to stop pushing the bolt, or even back off the bolt then it straightens out, and I can chamber the round.

The mag setup puts the feed lips right under the bolt face... I cant raise the mag any higher without modifying the feed lips.

Anyone seen this before?

Dont know what to do...

Thanks.
Postal!

I'm having a similar feed issue.
With 5 rounds in the mag, the first one gets hung up with the bolt about 1/2 way forward, if I back off the pressure and re-apply the rest feed normally albeit a little tough.
Pierce action in an AIAX stock built by Accurate Ordinance. The gun shoots great with no 1st round fliers and I'm running 123g Amax Hornady factory ammo through AI mag and a couple of Accurate mag 10 rounders.
I suspect mag lips are holding the round just a bit too long. Time for a little dremel action on the feed lips, thinking of opening them up just a bit to allow the round to "nose over" sooner.
I'll let you know how it worked after the weekend.
I have some 139 Scenars and 140 Berger VLDs loaded by Copper Creek but I have a rule in my house, no loaded ammo into the chamber any place but on the range.
Don't ask me about the 40 cal hole in the chair across from my bed, through the suitcase full of old pants, the drywall and into the crater in the cement block wall behind it. It never happened. :(

Hmmm I am running the same round but in AIAX and have never had this issue. I wonder if it is pressure on the mag catch that is maybe impacting the mag alignment.

I'm more suspecting the bullet of "flying" the feed ramp and then the shoulder hitting the rear of the ramp or the bullet hitting inside the counter bore.
When out at the range this weekend, I have to pull the scope of my 6.5 CM to stick it on a Kreiger bbled upper for my KAC SR-15. I'll have a good look inside then and can safely see what is going on. Only thing I'm finding odd is it is only the first round (of 5) the remainder feed normally with 2-4 smoother than the last.

I'm kinda with ya Shovel.....

I think it may be held too long in the lips... Not positive, I *think* it's the bullet tip catching the shoulder of the chamber. I get the bolt most of the way forward.

If cutting works, please tell me how much you took off.

DTI,
The mag is about as close to the bolt as possible, and the mag catch was filed (by me) to hold the mag at that position. The CDI has a long mag release in case people dont route out deep enough in the stock. There is just about no slop at all with an inserted mag- I dont see this being the issue.

Last edited:
Shovel.

I asked around at a few diff forums, Here's one response I just got I wanted to share.

"Don't file the lips!
Open the front about 0.020" wider than they are now.

This will raise the bullet tip about 1/16" so it starts into the chamber easier.

Make sure you keep the lips straight.
You need to bend the whole lip, but more in front and almost none in back.
I have a pair of pliers with 2" wide flat jaws for this job."

I have some 3" wide jaw pliers I'll try bending over the weekend and let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
I just tried it with some rounds.

I opened it up a lot more than 0.020.....

I read 0.448 at the front now it was 0.410ish
The back. now 0.425.. it was about 0.400

Still not quite perfect, but much better.

I "flared" my lips for my creedmoor so they present at the same angle as 308 rounds. 65CM has a straighter body, so they sit in the mag with the nose lower.

Been running the 6.5 Creedmoor in multiple 5 and 10 round AICS mags since 2008 and never had any feeding issues. I use actual AI mags. Usually when there are issues it's either the magazine or the way the DBM was installed. The Creedmoor itself will feed just fine from AICS mags with no mods needed.

I have a creedmoor that does this also. Savage action, brux barrel and aics. When u push the bolt forward it stops about 1/2" from the lug recess. If u let off forward pressure the tail end of the case "pops up" and glides right in the chamber. My first thought was the edge of chamber is sharp causing the hangup. Pulled barrel (prefit from sinarms) and took to my local builder. He thought it was awefully sharp also. He broke the edge slightly and polished it. Looks better and feeds somewhat better, without gauging the brass, but does hang up some. I have had a couple other creedmoors and they didn't do this. I do know in my case that the hangup occurs well after the case is away from the feed lips.

One issue may be because Savage doesn't have a counter bore in the barrel to help channel the round into the chamber. Just a thought....

... it's either the magazine or the way the DBM was installed.

I agree with this. I had a feed issue with my DBM in a McMillan A4, but have not had an issue with a chassis. I'm assuming my smith didn't inlet it properly. I run AICS mags in a McRees.

I will tell anyone with this problem "there is hope". I posted a similar problem I had with a Savage and Accurate-Mag. I didn't get any good responses here so I worked it out on my own. Now the rifle and magazines work together like they should. It takes a lot of studying the situation and you need to run your ammo through it and it doesn't help to be at the range (that just adds confusion to the mix). Load up some dummy rounds at the start. You'll be way ahead of the game. Also get the pliers (as mentioned above). They're cheep and a must. Good luck. P.S. There is a fine line between "working and not working" when it comes to magazines.

Reactions: SuperChop
I don't believe the counterbore has anything to do with it. The reason i say that is because both chambers, rem&sav, are the same depth. The round, in my case, is 3/4 into the chamber. I don't believe the counterbore would change anything. Might have to tweak the mag lips some, maybe that is why the casehead is presenting itself lower on the boltface. Good thing the weather man is calling for 14" snow, i get shoptime. Makes it a bitch to feed and calve out purebred and embryo calves.

Sounds like there is an issue with the cartridge release timing. As mentioned start gradually opening the front of feedlips to start the release sooner. With pushfeed actions like the Savage and Remington late release from the magazine will cause these problems.

I am using AI mags.

When it happens, it looks like about the length from bullet tip to shoulder short of closing... Which again leads me to believe its the bullet tip catching the chamber shoulder.

I pried the lips of the mag quite a bit, and seems much better. Might need some more tweaking though.

Has the base of the cartridge completely exited the mag feedlips at the point of the feed stoppage? If it has is could still be mag related, but it may not be.

Yes. The round is completely out of the mag.

The round nosedives in the chamber itself. The cartridge base is high... which leads me to believe the bullet tip is hanging up on the chamber shoulder.

Pushing the bolt slow/med speed, it's okay. It has time to level out in the chamber.
Run it fast like in a match under the clock, 2-3 times of 5, it stops... gotta release pressure, and the case head will drop down level, and you can chamber it fully.