• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS mag wiggle

generalzip

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    Does it bother anyone else with the 10 rounders? Does anyone use electrical tape or something to shut it up so it doesnt click and clack when the rifle is on your back and you are walking or running?

Re: AICS mag wiggle

As long as if feeds correctly I don't care about a little clickity clack, to me that just means it'll still go in even if I fuck it up a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as if feeds correctly I don't care about a little clickity clack, to me that just means it'll still go in even if I fuck it up a little.</div></div>

+1

Mine feed well also. I dont understand how placing a thin layer of electrical tape or velcro would affect how it feeds? The magazine will obviously still seat correctly, but it would prevent metal to metal contact between the magazine and stock. Maybe its not a big issue, but my concern was just that if it were to ever be used as a combat weapon or tactical rifle that extra bit of noise is just that much more to give you away when dragging your rifle or toting it around. Also, that gap could introduce dirt into the action, could it not?

My point was that as long as the magazines are operating properly why mess with it? Adding shit to the magazine to try to make it more quiet will probably create more problems than it will solve. AICS magazines have been used by soldiers and LE professionals for quite some time and I have yet to see a magazine taped up or velcroed for silence. If you are dragging your rifle around chances are it will make more noise than the magazine shifting in the magazine well. If you're using a drag bag or TAB cover during the movement then the padding will probably dampen the noise to the point that it's a non-issue, still.

As far as sealing up the magazine well to prevent dirt from getting inside, what about the giant hole in the side of the receiver? That's got to let in a helluva lot more dirt than the little spaces between the magazine and magazine well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe its not a big issue, but my concern was just that if it were to ever be used as a combat weapon or tactical rifle that extra bit of noise is just that much more to give you away when dragging your rifle or toting it around. Also, that gap could introduce dirt into the action, could it not? </div></div>

Generalzip,

If you are loading a bolt action Sniper rifle that close to the enemy you need to adjust your tactics,

If the enemy is that close to you, I will bet ALOT of money the amount of noise the mag system makes is the last thing on your mind.

If you are not happy with it, get it gone and go to something else.

John

My 10 rounder fits very tight and I have to use some force to seat it and I must physically pull it too. It doesn't make any noise at all. However my 5 rounder seats very easily and does make some clanking. I prefer the easier to seat and clanking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe its not a big issue, but my concern was just that if it were to ever be used as a combat weapon or tactical rifle that extra bit of noise is just that much more to give you away when dragging your rifle or toting it around. Also, that gap could introduce dirt into the action, could it not? </div></div>

Generalzip,

If you are loading a bolt action Sniper rifle that close to the enemy you need to adjust your tactics,

If the enemy is that close to you, I will bet ALOT of money the amount of noise the mag system makes is the last thing on your mind.

John </div></div>

My concern isnt with loading. The rifle would already be loaded if I was ever in that position. Even then if a mag change was required you can load the mag very quietly even silently by holding down the mag release as you insert the magazine. It's prolly just more of the fact that I dont like things wiggling around, especially things I spend a $1000 on lol.

Also my 5 rounders dont make any noise at all, but my 10 rounders do make a bit of clank...hmmm

J. you are right though. My rifle is a precision bolt rifle made to take shots at over 600 yards. If I'm loading up 10 ft from an enemy something is seriously wrong with my tactics. I guess I should be more concerned by the possible entry of dirt. But I'm sure dirt would enter the action via the bolt or dirt would jam the mag before it came up through the mag well. Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna try a thin layer of electrical tape just for shits a giggles and see how it works. Hell it might help with gripping the magazine to load it or serve as a frame of reference for you to feel the the mag is properly seated.

Mags are buit to + or - in size. One will fit great and another loose. When the bottom metal is made it has to fit all mags, so thats why some are loose and some are not.

Put 2-4 rounds in your mag and put it into the magwell with the bolt closed. The rounds will be pushing up on your bolt so the mag will lock up and not rattle so much. doesnt make any sense to carry it with the mag in un loaded. If you need to be un loaded load the mag and put it in your pack or mag pouch.

I measuerd allot of AI mags when we were doing our aics mag bottom and they were about .017" different just in lengh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mags are buit to + or - in size. One will fit great and another loose. When the bottom metal is made it has to fit all mags, so thats why some are loose and some are not.

Put 2-4 rounds in your mag and put it into the magwell with the bolt closed. The rounds will be pushing up on your bolt so the mag will lock up and not rattle so much. doesnt make any sense to carry it with the mag in un loaded. If you need to be un loaded load the mag and put it in your pack or mag pouch.

I measuerd allot of AI mags when we were doing our aics mag bottom and they were about .017" different just in lengh. </div></div>

I didn't even think about that. Once the mag is loaded there will be some pressure holding it still. Especially with a fully loaded mag. BTW unrelated but on history interactive in a half hour there is modern marvels and its related to exterior ballistics of projectiles and they interview army snipers and swat marksmen

If you can get hold of one from AI you can replace the AW308 mag catch spring with an AW50 heavy duty mag catch spring.
    this may help your problem as it pushes the mag forward & tends to stop the rattle.

I figure the sounds of me shooting and running the bolt pretty well covers up the sounds of my mag rattling around.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe its not a big issue, but my concern was just that if it were to ever be used as a combat weapon or tactical rifle that extra bit of noise is just that much more to give you away when dragging your rifle or toting it around. Also, that gap could introduce dirt into the action, could it not? </div></div>

Generalzip,

John </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonneville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get hold of one from AI you can replace the AW308 mag catch spring with an AW50 heavy duty mag catch spring.
    this may help your problem as it pushes the mag forward & tends to stop the rattle.</div></div>

This is strongly discouraged for a variety of reasons. Removal of the magazine catch is highly unnecessary and apt to cause more headache in trying to reinstall than it's worth. As others have said, loading your magazines is going to eliminate most of the noise anyways.

Ah guys, you should see Dragunov or ROMAK-3 magazines! AICS is the epitome of perfection compared to them (and I've dealt with 5- and 10-round AICS
    smile.gif
    ).

On the other hand, Soviet rifles are the only ones (that I know of) that can be "corrected" in the field by an illiterate armed with a hammer and pliers - and function properly after the "treatment".

Im curious as to why you feel the need that you are going to be engaging the enemy?????? When did paper and steel plates get so cunning and dangerous???? Its fine, leave it be.