• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS mags for 115 DTAC .243 and BAT action

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I am looking into a new build using a BAT repeater (700SA footprint) action and a chassis that uses AICS mags.

My question is is there enough room (front to back) in the mags to use the long,heavy 6mm bullets such as the 107 SMK and 115 DTAC's?

Take care,Stan

Re: AICS mags for 115 DTAC .243 and BAT action

Sorry I don't have first hand data, but I wanted to pass along what I do have.

I shoot with some guys using custom .243 rifles. Their COAL with the 115 DTAC is 2.860". That leaves plenty of room in the AICS mag. Their chambers were cut by GAP.

I would make sure that you clarify your requirements with the gunsmith, it can certainly be done.

Stan i dont have the measurements for the AICS mags, but the mag length in the AW (308) mags is 2.96 i believe, so if you can get them to that length and get em to feed right and shoot well, might wanna look into the AW mags

I had a 243ai built on a fn spr and used cdi dbm w/aics and it worked fine with the 107smk's. george at GAP is well known for his standard 243 that shoots the 115 dtacs well. the nice thing is that with sierras normally you don't have to touch the bullet to the lands, they normally fire great even with some jump.

It will be a sweet combo that you will wish you had built sooner, good luck

Yes no problem. Just make sure you gunsmith has the correct reamer or throater.

Rich

George
John Pierce
Karl Feldkamp

Can do this no problem

Thanks guys....I am having the smith who put my bench rifle together do it for me. Below is a 100 yard, five shot target and one at 1000 yards (3.923") I shot with his handiwork...I am sure I will be leased with the newest build.

Take care,Stan

The max length on a 10 round AI mag (with the front plate still in place) is 2.860". The 5 rounders get out to around 2.920 or so (I don't remember exactly off the top of my head). So, 2.860 would be max for the 10 rounders. I would have your smith cut the chamber to seat the bullet a little deeper, if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking into a new build using a BAT repeater (700SA footprint) action and a chassis that uses AICS mags.

My question is is there enough room (front to back) in the mags to use the long,heavy 6mm bullets such as the 107 SMK and 115 DTAC's?

Take care,Stan </div></div>

Stan,

If your not married to the chassis and AICS mag, Seekins Precision DBM's (the non-AICS ones) run 2.94" OAL inside.

Just a thought....

I had George chamber a .243 based on the Corbon 115 Dtac load. I'll get some measurements and pics tomorrow (in mags and such) for you.

CHRIS

BgBmBoo,

just curious, is your smith local to Redding? I have a smith in your area. I also hear that a 600 yard range may open up there in the near future?

Any news?

Thanks

I shoot a GAP 6x47 L, mostly with 105 Bergers, but have used 115's with no problem, using a AICS chassis and mag. Not sure on my length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BgBmBoo,

just curious, is your smith local to Redding? I have a smith in your area. I also hear that a 600 yard range may open up there in the near future?

Any news?

Thanks
</div></div>

We do have a very good smith here in town..Larry Mears is his name. But for this type of rifle I use a gent in AZ.

We currently have a 600 and 1000 yard range just south of town. I will be shooting my 20" JP AR in the 600 yard next weekend. Here is the club info: http://www.tehamashooters.com/

Take care,Stan

Load some dummy rounds to the length you want and have the smith chamber to fit them.

Here's what I came up with. The 5 round mags measured ~2.88" from front plate to rear. 10 rounders measured about the same. I know some guys mod the mag to remove that front plate to get more OAL.

The factory Corbon ammo measured 2.79".

5 rounder.
DSC_0384.jpg

5 and 10 rounders.
DSC_0387.jpg

Ammo box/label.
DSC_0392.jpg

CHRIS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeepone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a GAP 6x47 L, mostly with 105 Bergers, but have used 115's with no problem, using a AICS chassis and mag. Not sure on my length.

</div></div>

jeepone what speeds do you get with the 105's in your 6x47l and what length tube ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BgBmBoo,

Any news?

Thanks
</div></div>

We do have a very good smith here in town..Larry Mears is his name. But for this type of rifle I use a gent in AZ.

We currently have a 600 and 1000 yard range just south of town. I will be shooting my 20" JP AR in the 600 yard next weekend. Here is the club info: http://www.tehamashooters.com/

Take care,Stan</div></div>

Thanks Stan for the info. Good luck with the project. I'm sure it'll come together nicely.