• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS - Rear bag or mono pod?

Re: AICS - Rear bag or mono pod?

When I had an AICS, I liked both. I had the accu-shot monopod which was quick and nice to have in some situations. Then if I wanted to get rock-solid off a bench, I would deploy the monopod and then push my rear bag up against it to stabalize it. It was rock solid for me that way...no wiggle.
I'd say if you can afford it get both....different shooting situations may make one better than the other.

I wish AI would sell their butt spike, it would take a little bit of mod to the skins and a few welds, but it is an incredible design.
Picture001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish AI would sell their butt spike, it would take a little bit of mod to the skins and a few welds, but it is an incredible design.
Picture001.jpg

</div></div>That right there I could use. I like the monopod, but I like to get as low to the ground as possible, and use the bag in front of the hook, and it gets in the way. The buttspike would be great.

JLharris, thanks for your willingness to give it another go. When I say "marries the leg to the deck", I'm trying to say let the heel of your hand firmly contact the rubber mat in your example when it is holding the monopod leg. I.E. the bottom of the monopod and the heel of your off hand, being wrapped around the leg, are both touching the mat. Then you can add more/less pressure (muscle tension) for minute elevation adjustments.

I use to believe better groups were possible with bean bags, but over the years we have gotten testimonials proving different so I no longer tell people that. I have simply realized everyone is different and what works well for some wont work for all. And the fact we are all out enjoying shooting is really what matters.

bm11, I sincerely appreciate your willingness to give it a try.

Regarding using a bag, there are guys that fold it up then rest the leg on the bag.

In designing it, my thought process was if I needed low, then I could just use my off hand, if the butt needed to come up, then the monopod comes into play.

Regarding the AI spike, it's a great design and I find it interesting and illustrative that we have customers that have both the factory AI spike and our monopod and prefer ours. There are so many factors to consider it really boils down to everyone having their own expectations and needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bm11, I sincerely appreciate your willingness to give it a try.

Regarding using a bag, there are guys that fold it up then rest the leg on the bag.

In designing it, my thought process was if I needed low, then I could just use my off hand, if the butt needed to come up, then the monopod comes into play.

Regarding the AI spike, it's a great design and I find it interesting and illustrative that we have customers that have both the factory AI spike and our monopod and prefer ours. There are so many factors to consider it really boils down to everyone having their own expectations and needs. </div></div>Kasey- not a problem. I enjoyed the experience, and I really wanted it to work! The idea was just so nice! I think I shoot somewhat unconventionally low, but it allows me a position that I can relax, which means I can lay behind the rifle as long as needed without getting any sort of muscular tremors or fatigue related shooting inconsistencies. I think that if you made one that was an inch or so shorter, I might give it another go. Ultimately, I am faster off a bag, with similar group sizes, and more comfortable, so that is what made the decision work for me.

Monopod has the advantage of being part of stock, so you don't forget it etc. That being said it in general less height range than a rear bag and can be slower. But with grabbing Monopod with support hand you can add height. Comes down to preferences and weighing benefits vs shortcomings.