• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS replacement stock for 700 SA, AAC-SD?

Eagle1*

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2006
Ohio
I am picking up my Remington 700 308 AAC-SD on Thursday and will be replacing the stock on it asap. I was wondering if the AICS stocks are worth the money. I had a McM A5 on my last rifle i sold and I thought it would be alittle big for this new rifle with the smaller 20" varment barrel.

Are these AICS stocks direct replacements for my rifle or will it look stupid because the barrel channel will be real big and my rifles barrel will not look right in it? For the high price they want for these, I would think it would be a direct bolt on and fit right from the start. Anyone have any experience with these as a 700 SA replacement?

Some pics of yours would also help me out here too, Thanks..

Re: AICS replacement stock for 700 SA, AAC-SD?

If you thought the A5 was gonna be big, you are in for a BIG suprise with the AICS, they are pigs weighing in at almost 6 pounds, but damn are they nice for prone shooting! They eliminate alot of the recoil, and by the time you calculate in the cost of a A5 $650, a DBM $360 (that includes inletting) and bedding for the action $150 that's almost $1200 dollars, compared to the $850 you pay for the 1.5 chassis its a real bargain and definantly worth it, just be prepared to have to lug it around,...

I'm in this quandary myself, with the exact same rifle. My conclusion is that I would definitely be getting one when I come up with the funds again.

I priced out a replacement stock from the main manufacturers and after choosing the stock with full adjustability, new DBM, and perhaps bedding: You're at about the same price as a drop in AICS stock. Just something to consider as well.

EDIT - just a few mins late!...well what the guy said above me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockSteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDIT - just a few mins late!...well what the guy said above me.
</div></div>

Don't sweat it, happens to mean all the damned time lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you thought the A5 was gonna be big, you are in for a BIG suprise with the AICS, they are pigs weighing in at almost 6 pounds, but damn are they nice for prone shooting!</div></div>

Bang on the money! Great stock (although you need to get behind one to try the ergonomics....they are not to everyone's taste). But big and heavy. Not something I would want to have to carry too far or use for unsupported shooting too often.

Have you thought about an McM ADJ-HTG (or is it HTG-ADJ...can never remember
wink.gif
)? I have one on my GAP and it is a great alternative if you find the regular HTG comb too low. Pop a foreend rail on....off you go! Far more portable than the AW/AICS too....

DSCF0249.jpg

Try to get your hands on one before you commit to it.

They go one of two ways, you love 'em or hate 'em.

Don't make the decision on price alone.

Here is an SPS Tactical in an AICS 1.5, it looked fine.

SPS2.jpg

SPS3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not mine

0000700.jpg
</div></div>

see this right here looks great, I love this setup.

How do you guys like the fact that the safety is up on top no where near your grip, which means you have to take your hand off of the grip to select the safetly>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not mine

0000700.jpg
</div></div>

see this right here looks great, I love this setup.

How do you guys like the fact that the safety is up on top no where near your grip, which means you have to take your hand off of the grip to select the safetly> </div></div>

I havent fondled and AICS, but if its anything similar to the R700 safety reach then i see no problems.

This is mine with a 20" bbl. I love it. I say buy buy buy.

Who uses the safety? ;D My thumb can reach the safety without removing my hand from the grip.

img9561b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berzerkrobot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is mine with a 20" bbl. I love it. I say buy buy buy.

Who uses the safety? ;D My thumb can reach the safety without removing my hand from the grip.

img9561b.jpg
</div></div>

dag gone, that is one sweet rifle! did it shoot better after you put it in that stock???

If you could for me, please let me know the length of the rifle from end of barrel to end of stock..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is an SPS Tactical in an AICS 1.5, it looked fine.

SPS2.jpg

SPS3.jpg
</div></div>

thanks for these pics, now i see it really is not to bad at all.

Eagle, it's 39.5" open, 31" folded

Im not sure how much better it shoots now, but I can tell you it FEELS a lot better. The houge stock that comes on the SPS is way too soft and with the slightest weight applied to it it presses against the bbl, defeating the purpose of a free-floating channel. This obviously does not happen with the AICS, so on paper it should be more accurate. At the end of the day it is much more stable and in my eyes stable equals (partially)accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berzerkrobot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eagle, it's 39.5" open, 31" folded

Im not sure how much better it shoots now, but I can tell you it FEELS a lot better. The houge stock that comes on the SPS is way too soft and with the slightest weight applied to it it presses against the bbl, defeating the purpose of a free-floating channel. This obviously does not happen with the AICS, so on paper it should be more accurate. At the end of the day it is much more stable and in my eyes stable equals (partially)accurate. </div></div>

thanks for the info, btw, do some of those rubber butt pads come off for several different lengths of pull?

Also, where would one get one of these at a decent price at???

Our "Budget Build" series should go live later today.

The first part was base install and scope mounting.

The second part is supposed to be scope zeroing.

The third will be a replacement stock. I have two ready to go right now. One is a B&C Medalist. The other is an XLR Industries chassis.

I have been delayed a bit waiting on the ammo for the accuracy testing. I really didn't want to do it with handloads.

I run an AI rifle and the one drawback with the AI chassis is the weight. I still love mine, but folks are amazed when they pick it up and realize how heavy it is.

It is a heavy combination, however with a 20" barrel it is quite manageable and has great balance.

I have one on a .223 SPS Tactical which I take out and shoot everything from steel out to 1000 yards to night time fox and rabbit lamping. It is heavy but certainly manageable.
The .308 20" (SPS Tactical) I have is for paper punching so mostly its used prone.

They really are fantastic stocks as far as bolt in and shoot replacements go. I'll try and post pics of mine shortly.

I use mine and carry it around with a leather butler creek black cobra sling and it absorbs alot of the heavy drag. no problem.

Thanks for all of your pics and posts, I have made up my mind and am going with this setup. I think I have located some at a great price.

Now, one with more pics please...

one more thing, from the pics it appears that I will not need my bottom metal from Remington, is this true? I do not see the remington trigger guard in these pics?? I do not know though???

Here's a couple of mine. .223 at the back, .308 at the front.

23032011056.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a couple of mine. .223 at the back, .308 at the front.

23032011056.jpg
</div></div>

very, very nice! Do you like the 1.5's or would you like to have the 2.0's? I cannot decide if the extra $200.00 is worth the extra money for only being able to shorten the length for transport or cleaning.

Also, how come one of your stocks has the added cheek pieces and the other it appears to be built in the stock???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, how come one of your stocks has the added cheek pieces and the other it appears to be built in the stock???</div></div>

Could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure the one without the cheekpiece is the AICS 1.0, it came out before the 1.5.

Also, I have the 1.5 and I dont regret not getting the 2.0, saving only a minute or two when cleaning wasnt worth it to me. I'm on a college budget though so saving pennies was more important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jagged77 said:
very, very nice! Do you like the 1.5's or would you like to have the 2.0's? I cannot decide if the extra $200.00 is worth the extra money for only being able to shorten the length for transport or cleaning.

Also, how come one of your stocks has the added cheek pieces and the other it appears to be built in the stock??? </div></div>

Quite happy with the 1.5 model, I've just never justified the added expense of the 2.0 for my usage although I'm sure I'd make use of it if I had one.

The stock on the .308 without the cheek piece is an older model I bought second hand, it actually needed some milling work to accommodate the X-Mark trigger (that .308 was a 26", this one now has a Rifle Basix installed). It should be pointed out that although its a 1.0 you can remove the sides and install the 1.5 sides with cheek piece onto the chassis.
I've also got a long action which I use for either a .300WM or .338, it really does a good job helping with recoil management.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of your pics and posts, I have made up my mind and am going with this setup. I think I have located some at a great price.

Now, one with more pics please...

one more thing, from the pics it appears that I will not need my bottom metal from Remington, is this true? I do not see the remington trigger guard in these pics?? I do not know though??? </div></div>

You only need your barrelled action w/trigger to drop in the AICS. It has bottom metal and the AICS magazine already installed. You can sell your bottom metal/trigger guard, magazine box, 2 mounting screws and stock after switching to the AICS system. It's a sweet package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
thanks for the info, btw, do some of those rubber butt pads come off for several different lengths of pull?

Also, where would one get one of these at a decent price at??? </div></div>

Yes there are 4 spacers (two thick and two thin) made of polymer that sit between the buttpad and stock.

eurooptic.com has the 1.5 for $825 for the short action (make sure you get the right one :p)