• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Stock Plastic Quality

Magnus357

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
I purchased a new AICS 1.5 stock from Midway this week and just received it yesterday.

The fit and finish of the plastic sides is really not up to where I thought a $900 stock would be. In the really crappy picture below, you can see how the plastics fit together in the trigger guard area.

Additionally, inside the barrel channel, there appears to be casting imperfections running an area of 3-4 inches.

Will either of these issues affect the function? Probably not, but I expected more.

Is this normal for these stock systems? I'm going to try to see if I can adjust the fitment of the plastics today, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

AICS%252520Stock%252520Pic.JPG

Re: AICS Stock Plastic Quality

Magnus,

It's a set plastic panels screwed over an aluminum chassis, it was not built for beauty, but for function. And AICS stocks very function well. As far as the plastic panel fitment, they are all that way.

Your expectations not withstanding, your getting quite a bit for your $900. Now go shoot the damn thing.....

I thought the plastic would be fit a little better also but in my cause it still works pretty well. My only real complaint on the AISC stock is the cheek rest. It is a little too slippery when shooting in the heat. A little sweat and face oil make keeping a real chore. I just cleaned it with acetone then put some fabric tape on it and not it is fine. Granted the tape looks like hell but no matter how long I stay behind the rifle it grabs my face enough so I can keep the same cheek weld.

On the bad side I just looked it up and $1.00USD is equal to .6136 British pound. So your $900 stock is only really a $552.24 stock that is to include shipping and import tax if any so it is probably only a $450.00 stock. That makes me sad because I want a left hand 338LM AW or AX.

I cut up a mouse pad (neoprene) and shoe glued it to the cheek rest it helps alot. Prior to that I used mole skin painted black...ended up with fuzz in my whiskers and it didnt last long, also painting the stuff is a bad idea cuz it just rubs off on your face.

Yeah the plastic fit is normal, be carfull not to overtighten the sckin screws as they strip pretty easily. After replacing some stripped ones I just used my 15 in/lbs tee torque wrench to prevent repeating the mistake.

Same problem with mine, and same initial reaction. I've seen plastic toys with better seam quality.

To the points above, function trumps fit, so if your stock helps you shoot better, mission accomplished.

I had the same problem with my cheek pad. I ordered a sheet of Agrip, which is a form of synethic suede leather. It works very well IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the plastic would be fit a little better also but in my cause it still works pretty well. My only real complaint on the AISC stock is the cheek rest. It is a little too slippery when shooting in the heat. A little sweat and face oil make keeping a real chore. I just cleaned it with acetone then put some fabric tape on it and not it is fine. Granted the tape looks like hell but no matter how long I stay behind the rifle it grabs my face enough so I can keep the same cheek weld.

On the bad side I just looked it up and $1.00USD is equal to .6136 British pound. So your $900 stock is only really a $552.24 stock that is to include shipping and import tax if any so it is probably only a $450.00 stock. That makes me sad because I want a left hand 338LM AW or AX.
</div></div>

Stage 1.5 Straight Black Adjustable 3757 - £600.00 4405 - £625.00
Straight Green Adjustable 3756 - £600.00 3904 - £625.00
www.sportingservices.co.uk/aics.asp

wouldnt a $900 dollar stock be a £552.24 stock 1.5's sale online in the uk for £600.00 which is like $980 so its not so bad go ahead and get your AW
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clr537</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the plastic would be fit a little better also but in my cause it still works pretty well. My only real complaint on the AISC stock is the cheek rest. It is a little too slippery when shooting in the heat. A little sweat and face oil make keeping a real chore. I just cleaned it with acetone then put some fabric tape on it and not it is fine. Granted the tape looks like hell but no matter how long I stay behind the rifle it grabs my face enough so I can keep the same cheek weld.

</div></div>

Stage 1.5 Straight Black Adjustable 3757 - £600.00 4405 - £625.00
Straight Green Adjustable 3756 - £600.00 3904 - £625.00
www.sportingservices.co.uk/aics.asp

wouldnt a $900 dollar stock be a £552.24 stock 1.5's sale online in the uk for £600.00 which is like $980 so its not so bad go ahead and get your AW
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Oh you and your pound sign. If they produced a left handed one I would think about it for a second before I said I will take one. I need a left hand AW in 308 like I need a hole in my head. Now one in 6mmbr that would rock.

Just a few things to consider.
1. If you have a product problem please contact AINA in the US and AI outside of the US and we will resolve it or try to. Contact us via our website, www.accuracyinternational.com. We know the stock sides are not the best and are in the process of improving them.
2. The only castings used in the AICS are magazine and bipod catches. All other aluminium parts are machined from solid.
3. AICS for the USA is assembled in the USA with all machined components made in the USA. Molded parts, hinges and other pins, bolts, springs etc. are made in the UK and shipped to the USA.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Magnus,

A few things to consider. Mr Irwin was very professional and courteous. He's also right about contacting AINA first about any perceived problem. They are an outstanding company. It's easy to say too much. Perhaps an apology would go a long way toward solving this issue.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your AI products as much as I do mine. They will outlive most of their owners. Yeah, their stuff really is that good.

You don't buy an AI-anything to be pretty. You buy it because it is the best.

The fit of the plastic components is no better on my $8,000 AIAX, but it isn't an issue. I didn't buy it to be pretty, I bought it so I could beat the fuck out of it and still have it hit anything I pointed it at.

Think of the stock sides as a replaceable protective layer for the chassis. You scratch 'em all to hell, paint em, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a few things to consider.
1. If you have a product problem please contact AINA in the US and AI outside of the US and we will resolve it or try to. Contact us via our website, www.accuracyinternational.com. We know the stock sides are not the best and are in the process of improving them.
2. The only castings used in the AICS are magazine and bipod catches. All other aluminium parts are machined from solid.
3. AICS for the USA is assembled in the USA with all machined components made in the USA. Molded parts, hinges and other pins, bolts, springs etc. are made in the UK and shipped to the USA.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International </div></div>

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to repsond. As stated in my post, I don't foresee any thing related to the plastics causing a usage issue with the stock.

I appreciate the information on the construction. My post could have been more clear. I said casting but really meant injection moulding. The plastics have bumpy texture in part of the barrel channel. The only reason I came here to ask the questions is that I wanted to make sure I didn't something out of the ordinary. If it bothers me after I mount the action, I'll discuss options with your contact number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magnus,

A few things to consider. Mr Irwin was very professional and courteous. He's also right about contacting AINA first about any perceived problem. They are an outstanding company. It's easy to say too much. Perhaps an apology would go a long way toward solving this issue.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your AI products as much as I do mine. They will outlive most of their owners. Yeah, their stuff really is that good. </div></div>

I completely agree with you about Tom. That said, I didn't buy the stock from AINA, so why would I call them?

Furthermore, Tom agreed there could be improvement in the plastics and several others in this thread indicated they'd noticed the same things I did. So there is nothing for me to apologize for and doing so would definitely not alter the situation.

Sir, the reason you need to contact AINA is simply because they are your customer service/warranty center for the US. For timely and best customer assistance you should go directly to the most direct point being the manufacturing center. If you are in the US you should contact them @ (540) 368-3108 or email [email protected], if outside the US then the www.accuracyinternational.com will be your source of customer service. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same problem with mine, and same initial reaction. I've seen plastic toys with better seam quality.

To the points above, function trumps fit, so if your stock helps you shoot better, mission accomplished.

I had the same problem with my cheek pad. I ordered a sheet of Agrip, which is a form of synethic suede leather. It works very well IMO

</div></div>

AICS skins are relatively long and thin, and it is incredibly difficult to have them manufactured by injection molding because of some real world technical issues like shrinkage, cooling speed, material which AI got to use, etc. I would not be comparing AI parts to plastic toys, which are much smaller in size and are most often made from different class of materials, typically w/o fillers, which is better for shrinkage. I'm sure AI will be doing more work to make skins nearly perfect, but it's not going to be an easy task for sure and will take quite a bit of time. There is no way to do it fast. I do not believe both AI and its customer are interested in having the production of the AICS rifles and stocks delayed for a few years in order to have cosmetically perfect skins. Even finding injection molding company which can do such parts is a huge challenge - I personally run into several injection molding companies in the U.S., which are ready to make my parts any time, but can not promise that everything will be O.K. with the finished parts. How can you do normal business when your supplier tells you - yea, we can mold it, you get something out of the mold for sure, but do not expect the miracle of perfect part as it depends upon: wall thickness, material flow, how much glass is in the material, length, width, pressure, temperature, cooling and bunch of other things, the most nasty one being the shrinkage (fit issue in assembly). So, having all this useful info at hand, customer is left with a option to pray to God in order to get a good part right from the start, because most of these companies will not do deep R&D (to make a good part) for anybody except Ford, General Motors or somebody really BIG. And all these molds and fixtures cost big money just to try to make some prototypes.

Mr Irwin, stop making excuses for crappy fit and finish that is a bottom line result of very poor quality control. I just got my 2.O, and right out of the box the adjustable cheek piece was broken, and the magazine floor plate slid off the bottom of the mag after putting just ten rounds down range. Yes, I agree its not supposed to be pretty, but WTF? this thing cost over a grand!, so pass the word to AICS leadership and just fix the damn problems!

0575250-11.jpg

I have lots of hand deburring tools, for getting off the burrs after I machine something out of metal.
They cost ~ $10 and come with extra blades from Enco.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=19495009&PMAKA=317-1623
But many objects made of plastic have sharp flashing on handles.
Like the rim of cartridge case vibrating cleaning tubs.
The sharp edge in plastic is even easier than the metal edge to get off.

I bought an expensive European car and the plastic shift knob had flashing all around the middle, cutting into my skin when I shifted. It is tricky to get that flashing off, and keep the knob shiny.

Ouch! That's shitty even for a Kel-Tec pistol!
There were balls dropped at several stages to
put that crap in your hands.

I just don't know how seriously to take your comments, since they are your first post.

Therefore, no pictures = it didn't happen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spoonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr Irwin, stop making excuses for crappy fit and finish that is a bottom line result of very poor quality control. I just got my 2.O, and right out of the box the adjustable cheek piece was broken, and the magazine floor plate slid off the bottom of the mag after putting just ten rounds down range. Yes, I agree its not supposed to be pretty, but WTF? this thing cost over a grand!, so pass the word to AICS leadership and just fix the damn problems! </div></div>

It's a solid chasis. If you don't like the skins, have them dipped to your flavor, or pick up the viper skins. My only beef was the thumbhole and awkwardness of shooting off hand or barrier.

OK, so it's my first post, and just because I did not post pics ='s it didn't happen??? for real?, as far as taking my comments seriously, take them anyway you want....it happened.

For the record, and for those of you not from Missouri, AI is sending a new cheek pad and mag and appear to stand behind their product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spoonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr Irwin, stop making excuses for crappy fit and finish that is a bottom line result of very poor quality control. I just got my 2.O, and right out of the box the adjustable cheek piece was broken, and the magazine floor plate slid off the bottom of the mag after putting just ten rounds down range. Yes, I agree its not supposed to be pretty, but WTF? this thing cost over a grand!, so pass the word to AICS leadership and just fix the damn problems!</div></div>

How was the adjustable cheekpiece broken?

The floorplate may have simply not been fully slid onto the bottome of the magazine body, did you try seating it fully so that the dimple hits against the outside edge of the mag body wall?

Not sure how it broke. There was no external damage to the shipment, but after unwrapping the stock, a piece of black plastic cheek pad just fell out of the wrapping. I spoke to an AI dealer in Florida (Accuracy International SRT.com) who told me they have received shipments with a few cheek pads broken as well.

As far as the floor plate, yes, I re-seated it but the dimple is not indented enough to keep the plate from sliding forward. Anyway, I contacted AI and they are sending out new parts, didn't mean to slam AI but a broke stock piece and a mag was a bit of a double tap. It's all good.

This thread is akin to complaining that your newly purchased bulldozer lacks that "new car smell".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnus357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a new AICS 1.5 stock from Midway this week and just received it yesterday.

The fit and finish of the plastic sides is really not up to where I thought a $900 stock would be. In the really crappy picture below, you can see how the plastics fit together in the trigger guard area.

Additionally, inside the barrel channel, there appears to be casting imperfections running an area of 3-4 inches.

Will either of these issues affect the function? Probably not, but I expected more.

Is this normal for these stock systems? I'm going to try to see if I can adjust the fitment of the plastics today, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

AICS%252520Stock%252520Pic.JPG

</div></div>

if you dont like them, Phoenix Custom's with sand and fit and paint it!

I understand that it is not a work of art by any means however it is tough as hell! I replaced a Bell & Carlson with an AICS 2.0 and have never looked back. I have had to modify my skins slightly especially when I added a Timney trigger but don't worry it you chose well.

It is easy to see both sides of the argument here. Yeah, the stock is a tool and the most important part is function. That would be fine if it was at a lower price point. I have been contemplating switching out my McMillan A5 for an AICS. Reading about these plastic alignment problems and the less than desirable fit / finish is what keeps me from making the purchase. If I spend $1000 on a stock I want it to work and look nice. I may look into seeing if I can just order the chassis so I can put some Viper skins on it.

so you spent 900 dollars on a stock ,did you ever try an aics or an AI rifle before ? If you had you would have seen that they all come like this,function over beauty.Any aics or AIAW ive handled /shot is like this.They are a solid piece of kit , dont let minor cosmetic imperfections fool you into thinking your money was wasted.If the cosmetics do bother you that much then sell it, they keep their value well

Good points all. The skins are what they are but the chassis is rock solid. I only got a chance to put ten rounds down range, (the busted cheek piece kept me from getting solid weld) and initial tests prove my badger ordnance standard rings are too low with this rig. I've since ordered Marks medium high Badger rings (1") and when the replacement parts and new rings arrive, I'll shoot some more and see what groups I'm getting.

I received a rifle recently from a different manuafacturer that uses a removable plastic buttpad. Two of the locking ears were broken before ever even sholdering the rifle.

They took care of it, no questions asked, right away.

In this buisiness, especially when you are buying something cutting edge and not too far out of of the development phase, you learn to expect these things to happen.

It's if and how the company takes care of the situation that really makes a difference.

I have zero complaints with mine. My panels fit very well with the only real signs of what I guess you could call imperfection being the holes to get to the rear action screw. IMO it's a lot of stock for the price tag.

I'm getting one soon. I think you get alot considering a MCMILLAN stock plus a badger dbm could run 1000+, plus the wait. I hope my skins are decent but if not its good to know AI will back their product. Glad to see everything worked out for the op. Sorry to give this old thread cpr, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CIjunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting one soon. I think you get alot considering a MCMILLAN stock plus a badger dbm could run 1000+, plus the wait. I hope my skins are decent but if not its good to know AI will back their product. Glad to see everything worked out for the op. Sorry to give this old thread cpr, lol. </div></div>

I just ordered one from mile high shooting. Im stoked,great value for the money,no worries,glad to see that AI stood behind their product.

I went with Victor Company Skins. They offer a really nice pistol grip, and the fit and finish is far better than the stock skins IMHO.

I have a standard 2.0 and had the opportunity to shoot a rifle with the Victor skins the other day. The fit, finish, materials and ergonomics were head and shoulders above the standard skins. I like the 2.0 and have no complaints but I found that the grip on the Victor skins gave me a slightly better angle to the trigger and the "wider" bottom of the pistol grip allowed me to take a bit more stress out of the lower finger of the firing hand.

Again, I am happy with the 2.0 and it works very well. However, if you are not a fan of the ergonomics or "finish" of the skins, the Victor skins may be your answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with Victor Company Skins. They offer a really nice pistol grip, and the fit and finish is far better than the stock skins IMHO.

</div></div>

I agree I went the Viper Skins route. The skins fit nice and and you can barely see the seam where the two halves meet on the pistol grip and by the mag well. The grippy cheek piece is also a very nice addition. I got to shoot with it a couple of days ago and it gives you a nice solid cheek weld. I am waiting to see what Michael has in store next that will cost me more money lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with Victor Company Skins. They offer a really nice pistol grip, and the fit and finish is far better than the stock skins IMHO.

</div></div>

I agree I went the Viper Skins route. The skins fit nice and and you can barely see the seam where the two halves meet on the pistol grip and by the mag well. The grippy cheek piece is also a very nice addition. I got to shoot with it a couple of days ago and it gives you a nice solid cheek weld. I am waiting to see what Michael has in store next that will cost me more money lol. </div></div>

there you go: an aisc solution for those that get their panties in a bunch over how their rifles look

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with Victor Company Skins. They offer a really nice pistol grip, and the fit and finish is far better than the stock skins IMHO.

</div></div>

I agree I went the Viper Skins route. The skins fit nice and and you can barely see the seam where the two halves meet on the pistol grip and by the mag well. The grippy cheek piece is also a very nice addition. I got to shoot with it a couple of days ago and it gives you a nice solid cheek weld. I am waiting to see what Michael has in store next that will cost me more money lol. </div></div>

there you go: an aisc solution for those that get their panties in a bunch over how their rifles look </div></div>

Well George, while our skins make the AICS look better, our ergonomics are vastly superior to the OEM skins. It's a form meets function solution.

IMG_0148.jpg