• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Thumbhole VS Viperskins Pistol Grip

Re: AICS Thumbhole VS Viperskins Pistol Grip

Thanks Red ..not too many replies yet !!!
I need to re-skin mine and was just looking into the Viper Skins .
I also shoot AR alot so it would be a logical replacement as far as ergonomics go..

I think you would be better served by doing a search regarding the viper skins ergonomics as I read several post regarding it in various threads. That being said I believe the predominate reason for switching to the viperskins is so that people can use a pistol grip in addition to the other slight ergonomic features. If you aren't big on thumbhole stocks but want an AICS chassis without going the AX route then viperskins are the way to go.

member Lonewolf did a very thorough review of the Viper skins. I think his web site is 8451 tactical.com

I have big hands and in my opinion they are a HUGE improvement over the standard thumbhole.

I have two sets. I think it's a drastic improvement. Everyone that has handled my rifles with Viperskins liked them, and they hate the AI thumbhole.

I've got a McCree stock on another rifle and like it alot. However, I have had alot of trouble getting used to the thumbhole stock on my AI. Are the Viperskins similar to the McCree?

Twisted here is my .02.

To me the standard AICS stock was an improvement over the stock my 700 Police came with. The thumbhole was just to the point where is was beig enough for me to slide my thumb through but not big enough for me to get a really good grip due to the size of my hand. It was still confortable to shoot so no real worries. I also bought the chassis system knowing that the Viper Skins were coming out and had a friend that said he would buy my AICS from me if I did not want it and I would have saved and upgraded to a AX or ect. The Viper Skins as about everyone else has stated is a vast improvement over the stock skins. Dont forget that Michael also has an aftermarket cheek piece " the grippy ". I have one of those as well and on a humid day here in Southern Ohio while your sweating while your are just laying prone I noticed that the cheek weld was easier and more confortable to maintain.

1. The quality of the material that Michael uses has a better fit and finish so to speak and a better feal to the touch.
2. The grip can be bought in standard length and extended and has all most a houge grip texture to it.
3. Exploring a little on the fit, some people with the standard chassis can see the seam of where to the two halves meet and with mine old set I had more than one gap between the two. Does not affect function in any way just an asthetic issue. The Viperskins fit so closely together that on mine, no gaps or spaces are present.
4. Changing to a pistol grip from a thumbhole I have noticed two things that some may say I am making a statement of the obvious.
A. The placement of the pistol grip changes the position of your wrist from a downward angle to a more natural position that gives you better wrist support and helps ballance the weapon better.
B. The pistol grip also aids in muscle memory for those of us that shoot the AR platform as well.
5. Not to start a debate or a pissing match, but AI is now offering an after market skin set that is simular to the Viper Skins, so Michael is onto something lol.

Thanks Zebra ,
I too have " Adapted " to the Thumbhole and it's not that big a deal once used to it .
I was mainly fishing to see if there were any " Negatives " on the ViperSkins ...which appears there are none.
another thing I was looking at was the Thumbshelf , I do not rest my thumb alongside the stock normally BUT I have started getting in the habit/experimenting of doing this while shooting my WIN mod.69A .22 Rifle so far I have noticed it is easier to maintain a constant placement and maybe a fluke but I grouped some shots better than normally wrapping my thumb around the stock ...maybe an Old Dog can learn a new trick ?..so I'll order a set and give them a whirl !
Now to decide which Color ??? do I want ...DOH !!

Viper skins are a superior product than the OEM skins. They are just better. Plus, the added feature of accessory rail attachment is nice to have. Not to mention, they take 4 oz. off the rifle...every little bit helps...

The best feature for me is the thumb rest, which fits my style and gets me on the bolt more efficiently for the follow up shot.

005-6.jpg

recently added the atlas w/spigot as well to the AI chassis.

006-7.jpg

Crocket , Nice !
I have the Green Skins and like the look of the Tan , Accents the rifle better I think and gives a base for camo options

Wonder why they do not offer a Gray color stock ?

Was looking at these also. What all do they come with? I have a 2.0 LA... I didn't see the replacement cheek piece for the LA. I just haven't looked them up yet but if the site has all the info I will go there. Anyone that has one though - any modifications needed for fitting? I had to even with the original skins.