• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aim small, miss small

maybe mel gibson just didnt have high confidence in his dumb ass kids...and just naturally assumed they were going to miss, and that was his way of saying "well....just try your best...."

PFFFFFTTTTTT.
You peasants are so (Cliché)... Yall need to look through this show-stoppa

1617761892036.png

I just see and hear a lot of people repeating the phrase, and I have never cared for it. Guess I'm just weird.

Carry on.

I really hate that phrase. Ever since Mel Gibson said it on The Patriot it has grated in me. Here is why: it has a negative tone to it. That whole "miss" part.

I have taken to the phrase "Aim small, hit small" as a better replacement.

Just felt like throwing that out there for your thoughts and opinions.
it could have been worse. they could have played "shoot high, aim low" on the soundtrack during the ambush scene when he said that line.

Reactions: gebhardt02
Would using the adverb change your opinion? "Aim smally, miss smally". Your alternative, "hit small", might suggest a negative tone on terminal ballistics.

I always interpreted it as "if you aim at the button on his coat, and miss by hitting the pocket, you still have a dead man." Whereas many would just aim at whatever random place on the torso and think "good enough".

Essentially just aim where you want to hit, and take enough time to concentrate and make it worth the squeeze.

Accuracy by volume is my favorite way to describe the average guy blowing through ammo.

Fast and smooth is fast. Fast and clunky is slow. Practice makes you smooth, so practice fast and you'll be fast and smooth....

Or... You can't miss fast enough, but you can sure hit slow enough.

What about “Aim Small, Suck Less”. 😂

Damn KYL stages. I always aim dead center, I don't know what other people do but I damn sure want a center hit every single time. Margin of error in ammo will make sure that's not possible.

while it sounds retarded, the mechanics of being precise are just that. The more you practice them, the more likely you are to succeed. Back in ‘01-02, before Iraq, we first walked, then sped through reflexive ranges. It worked

If you miss small, you would have hit large. Work harder to not miss. For example, someone new going from a 2" dot to a 1.5" or 1" dot they have to focus more. Maybe before they were smashing that 2" dot with zero issues. Then they realize, they can't be sloppy any more.

Smooth is fast. Being in a hurry rushing something can cause you to fumble or forget something.
I will add its a phrase for those who are not prepared, inexperienced or untrained. Those that can handle themselves that are the opposite of those three it's natural or second nature. To the untrained those guys look smooth, and seem to be fast. Hence the phrase.

Here's another. Be one with the...insert whatever. Your not a fucking transformer bitch.

Twenty bucks is twenty bucks .
Clips instead of mags .
The one that fuckin kills me in the pompass bag of walking circumcision skin that always says , i have that same rifle and shoot dimes all day long . Yeah out of a mechanical weighted base . No skill required let alone shooting a timed match .

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Best phrase for shooting...

“Do your fucking job.”
-Stolen from a guy who knows more than me.

If you do that, you won’t miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmanss
I know that phrase from my IPSC trainer.

He said it too, but explained it.

And yes, in my opinion "... hit small" would be correct, because a miss is a miss is a miss ... o_O

Anyways, he said:
"We don´t aim on that big brown target, we are aiming right in the middle of the A zone!
And if you don´t I will see it!"

He was a good guy.
:giggle:

Whenever I talk to new (or old) shooters I use this one, because its true:

"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight. For fuck's sake get out and practice" Lowlight (Paraphrased).

Almost as good as the phrase, “ I did what I had to do.”

Buy, read, and practice the book With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham. Simple book packed with wonderful nuggets for life, shooting and sports.

I stumbled upon it after blowing a couple stations while shooting sporting clays. It will clear your mind of Mel Gibson-isms.

I prefer Eastwood or Arnold’s movie one liners.

Lenny was a former Olympic shooter and gold medal winner. He’s a pioneer of mental coaching. If you shoot, it is a must read, do it before you burn more powder.

Reactions: gebhardt02
I shake my head when someone takes their marksmanship philosophy from a Hollyweird movie quote, and mostly it tells me they really didn't get out much in life, especially in the shooting realm. If anyone is parroting "Aim small, miss small", it shows lack of self thought and more so lack of focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship where aiming is but a piece of the process of making a shot hit on target. Aim as perfect as you want, but if the rest of your shot process sucks balls you're still going to miss.

And slow does not equal smooth, training in proper technique equals smooth. We have all seen plenty of slow turds who are still bumble fucking idiots.

I think Paladin used to say his side arm shot "one inch to the left at 25 yards". If it was a custom gun why didn't he make sure it was dead on at 25 yards?