• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aim small, miss small

Back in the late 90's/early 00's when I had my archery shop, most of the 3-D shooters were obsessed with speed. Problem was, that I could get the bow tuned up and fast as it would go, but they would get really tweaky. I used to tell them that a fast miss was still a zero.
Most just looked at me funny-

I really hate that phrase. Ever since Mel Gibson said it on The Patriot it has grated in me. Here is why: it has a negative tone to it. That whole "miss" part.

I have taken to the phrase "Aim small, hit small" as a better replacement.

Just felt like throwing that out there for your thoughts and opinions.
I kinda like the saying. I always interpreted it to mean the smaller your POA, the closer to the center of it you will hit.

John

Reactions: STex
I kinda like the saying. I always interpreted it to mean the smaller your POA, the closer to the center of it you will hit.

John
Yep, I'm sure that is the intent of it. But there is a whole other concept especially in sports cognition about positive thinking.

If your mind is telling you "don't miss" that is taken as a "negative" tone. Many sports psychologists would train you to instead think positive such as "here's another impact coming up".

The "miss small" portion to my mind just interprets as that negative tone but a simple rephrase of "hit small" turns it into a more positive tone.

So while I understand the intent of the phrase, I've just never cared for it from the psychological point as stated above. YMMV