• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint 3x or go big with the high end 1-8 scope

Tahoe333

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Northern Utah
Opinion from the SH experts:
re: scope for a LWRC m6a2 556 16"

I would like to know if a 3x magnifier on my H1 is worth the cash for what I need? I have tinkered with my spare older heavy-ish Swarovski 1-6 with the H1 canted but it added a lot of heft to the rifle.
The reason i am asking for your opinions is that I am seriously coveting a highend 1-8ish AR specific scope but is it what I really need? I can keep 10 rounds within the size of the palm of my hand at 200yd with the red dot turned down. i dont really plan on shots past 250yds.
The rifle is used for home defense, run and gun events and killing paper. (Keeping what I have = zero, Aimpoint 3x magnifier w/mount = 600.00, Badass 1-8 / 1-10 illum scope = 2800.00)
You guys are the experts, yes or no?
Oh by the way - I am not rich! BUT come on, the march, zhales, and uso are really freaking sweet!

I don't know the 3x mag or high end things first hand, and certainly no expert, but I would stick with what you've got. To want things and not have them is healthy. To do well with less (and it sounds as if you do) is what everyone should strive for. The biggest piece of kit is the nut behind the trigger. Covet the expensive thing that you want but don't really need for another 2 months and then revisit the option. Still in lust for it? Do it! If not so much... time well spent. My .02

I am NOT a fan with red dot magnifiers what so ever... wow, been there and done that $$$$. back in a day when I first started with AR's I was getting the same group size @ 100yards with or without the red dot magnifier and it just didn't make much sense to me at all.... yeah, it looked tacticool and all BUT it made the rifle uber heavy and it was just kinda stupid after a while... you think a scope will make your rifle heavy, a red dot + magnifier will do just the same if not worse. I have one AR rifle with a red dot and it is 100% my home defense rifle and once in a blue moon screwing around at the rifle range 100yards or less.... I'm usually going for groups at the range and I'm not a fan of red dots, but everyone has their own cup of tea... it is just not mine..... unless you're doing special drills, law enforcement, in war, home defense, maybe some hog hunting, or shooting 75yards or less IMO that is all a red dot is good for....... it is just not my deal and IMO a variable power scope wins hands down in comparison to a red dot + magnifier....

best I can get out of my red dot AR set up at 100yards on average is about 2moa.... my 3gun set up with a vortex 1-4 pst scope is under 1.047 sub-moa on average.

a 1-8 scope would be ultra bad ass... about the only real downfall is you might not get a total "true 1x" and maybe a little "fish eye" feel on targets 10yards or less... other than that it would be totally bad ass. I love my vortex 1-4 pst with capped turrets.

IMG_5937_zps582723b3.jpg

Last edited:
The 3x magnifier is something that simply enhances the capabilities of the red dot. A lot of people look at it like they do a normal riflescope, and I think that's the wrong approach. When I shoot from standing or kneeling inside of about 75yds, I am faster and more accurate with my Aimpoint than I am with using the 3x. If I go to a supported or prone position, the 3x is faster and more accurate. Once I go beyond that, the 3x makes the RDS more viable. The 3x was never meant as a precision shooting optic per se, but rather an option that allowed the RDS to be used at longer ranges. It suffers from a very narrow FOV, and the light transmission is not on par with a normal decent quality rifle scope. If you know how to use the 3x, it works well. It's a supplemental add-on though, and it's not meant to be used as a primary optic all the time. An added benefit is that it allows you to employ the RDS into a DMR role for closer ranges, which is a nice benefit for those of us that are LE users.
The RDS is better than any scope for CQB shooting, but for the longer range shooting, a more coventional scope is much more effective.
If you do plan on spending any significant time shooting at 200yds or more, get a mid-range scope with 5x-8x top end.