• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes aimpoint Comp M4

TravisP

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
Missouri
Thinking of getting an aimpoint Comp M4. My question is, does the mounting system that comes with it put it at the right level for absolute co-witness on a flat top ar-15? I understand that the aimpoints will never run out of battery life, but just in case they do, I would like to use the flip up front and rear magpul sights and be able to use them looking through the lifeless red dot. Also, what does everyone think of this sight compared to the other Aimpoint red dots? I am stuck on Aimpoint. Thanks very much for any and all input.

Re: aimpoint Comp M4

The Aimpoint Comp M4 gives you lower 1/3 co witness but you can buy a riser for about $30 that will give you absolute co witness. Personally, the Aimpoint Comp M4 is my favorite sight in the "Comp" line, but I prefer the H-1 and T-1 just because of their size compared to other sights. Another thing that I do like about the Comp M4 is that it uses AA batteries, not CR123. Hope this helps!

Pigman, that does help. Thanks. I like the AA battery use as well. I would like to have the Aimpoint pro but it appears you have to be law enforcement to get one, or military. I am ex military. Thinking of the m4 because by the time you buy the m3 and buy the mount, you are close to having the same money in the m3 as you do the m4. I could probably live with the lower 1/3. If the sight goes bad and need to, I could take the sight off. Will look at the other sights you mentioned. I have to rely on internet for info, I live in the middle of nowhere and cant get my hands on an aimpoint to check them out personally. Thanks.

I haven't handled one personally, but I've heard really good things about the Aimpoint Pro. You could probably buy one used from someone on here but I don't know what that will do to the warranty if your not LEO/military. the Aimpoint Pro costs a lot less than the Comp M4 but with the M4 you get 50k more hours of battery, not that it's a big deal since they run on AA's. If I'm not mistaken the Aimpoint Pro uses the same mount as the M4 but I could be wrong. I would definitely give the Aimpoint Micro H-1 and T-1 some consideration though.

My buddy runs a flat top with a fixed front sight, rear folder and a comp m4. The dot is right above the front sight using the aimpoint supplied mount.

Travis:

My first red dot sight was the Comp M4s. It differs from yours only in the location of the battery. It is an excellent RDS and have had no problems with it in the three years I've owned one. It was mounted on my patrol rifle which was shot extensively, including a Pat Rogers Carbine Operators Class. I have since gone to the T-1 only because it is smaller and lighter. The Comp M4s is on my LWRCI which is my back-up rifle. I change batteries in these red dots every year around Christmas.

On our special weapons team we have officers carrying various red dot sights. Many have had problems. Those of us with Aimpoints have had none. In LE we call that a clue.

Good luck with your Comp M4.

Regards,

Joe

I have multiple Aimpoints. For general use, I prefer the T-1 Micro due to the smaller size and lower weight. For high-service use where you will be abusing the crap out of the rifle, the M4 is the ideal sight. All Aimpoints are built like tanks, but the M4 is a brick shithouse. Heavy, but indestructible. After the nuclear holocaust, it will be the roaches, Fosters beer cans and the CompM4/M4s.

Alot of useful info. Thanks to everyone. When the money comes in it will be an aimpoint of some kind or the other. Really want the M4 but probably any of them would work. Not sure how long i will be able to save, when i get enough cash will probably buy the first one i can. Again, thanks.

My M4s came with the spacer that makes it co-witness with the irons. I zeroed the red dot to the irons I already had on and it was almost right on. I've had it a couple years now and have never turned it off. I change battery about every six months just because.

I did have one battery die but it was due to leaving it on full bright. Now I keep it around 3 or 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pigman, that does help. Thanks. I like the AA battery use as well. I would like to have the Aimpoint pro but it appears you have to be law enforcement to get one, or military. I am ex military. Thinking of the m4 because by the time you buy the m3 and buy the mount, you are close to having the same money in the m3 as you do the m4. I could probably live with the lower 1/3. If the sight goes bad and need to, I could take the sight off. Will look at the other sights you mentioned. I have to rely on internet for info, I live in the middle of nowhere and cant get my hands on an aimpoint to check them out personally. Thanks. </div></div>

I thought I read somewhere that the pro is the same site as the M3. 2moa dot as opposed to 4moa on the CompM4. also there are a bunch of places selling the PRO to the public.

Thanks Bulzeye. When the cash gets piled up will try and find the pro somewhere.

I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere that dealers can sell you Aimpoint PRO's, but they could lose their Aimpoint distributorship if they get caught.

Is distributorship even a word?

The pro runs on a 3v battery, so a surefire cr123 battery should work right, whereas the M4 runs on AA's. Am i right on this?

Not sure about that. I know the m4 runs on the AA's. As long as the darn things run on a battery, the cost will not break me I am sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bornhunter04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pro runs on a 3v battery, so a surefire cr123 battery should
work right, whereas the M4 runs on AA's. Am i right on this? </div></div>

The PRO does use a 3v but not the 123. It like an oversized watch battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about that. I know the m4 runs on the AA's. As long as the darn things run on a battery, the cost will not break me I am sure. </div></div>

Give ma a shout when you get ready to buy. I may have a M4 (NIB) that I could let go for a good deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulzeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pigman, that does help. Thanks. I like the AA battery use as well. I would like to have the Aimpoint pro but it appears you have to be law enforcement to get one, or military. I am ex military. Thinking of the m4 because by the time you buy the m3 and buy the mount, you are close to having the same money in the m3 as you do the m4. I could probably live with the lower 1/3. If the sight goes bad and need to, I could take the sight off. Will look at the other sights you mentioned. I have to rely on internet for info, I live in the middle of nowhere and cant get my hands on an aimpoint to check them out personally. Thanks. </div></div>

I thought I read somewhere that the pro is the same site as the M3. 2moa dot as opposed to 4moa on the CompM4. also there are a bunch of places selling the PRO to the public. </div></div>

The M4's all have 2moa dots as far as I can tell. With the M3's you had the option of 2 or 4moa.

The amount of abuse the M4 takes is amazing. A joe can toss it around an entire deployment in theater, compared to stateside just about any ones rifle could be considered safe queen.

I've taken my CompM4 on last deployment, returned in 08-09. Left it on, battery is still good to go, and took it off service rig onto a SIG556 and LMT MRP with original zero. It lollpopped both front posts almost exactly on install. And yes, the thing can take abuse. One of those items you can simply buy once, cry once with.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful responses. You all have provided me with alot of information. Thanks again and hope all have a Happy Holiday Season.