• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint micro mount for bolt action

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I want to try a micro red dot this year for deer season. I plan on trying it on a Tikka or a Ruger American Predator. What would the best way to mount it to the rifle? Both rifles already have a Picatinny scope base.

If you already have a pic rail the micro will mount directly to that. Spuhr also make a very good micro mount - though it is a touch higher than the factory offering

I think your best bet is to mount on top of, or off at an angle from your rifle scope. I assume you will still have a rifle scope. This is often done with tactical scopes, and the Aimpoint is great with that setup. You either look for a tactical rail that mounts on the top scope ring, or you replace your top scope ring with one that has either another rail or an Aimpoint mount.

Here is a pic of one that we use from Wilcox, which replaces the top of a Nightforce ring:

Attachments

• AIMPOINT-T-1-Scope-Mount.jpg
    AIMPOINT-T-1-Scope-Mount.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 30
I think your best bet is to mount on top of, or off at an angle from your rifle scope. I assume you will still have a rifle scope. This is often done with tactical scopes, and the Aimpoint is great with that setup. You either look for a tactical rail that mounts on the top scope ring, or you replace your top scope ring with one that has either another rail or an Aimpoint mount.

Here is a pic of one that we use from Wilcox, which replaces the top of a Nightforce ring:

This is what he's looking for:
Franz-Albrecht-boar-hunting-german-wild-boar-fever-fast-boar-shooting-video-featured.png

This is what he's looking for:
Franz-Albrecht-boar-hunting-german-wild-boar-fever-fast-boar-shooting-video-featured.png
308pirate is right. I'm want to try the Aimpoint micro by itself. I have a lot of places to hunt where I don't have over a 100 yard shot. The micro dot seems like a good choice for that type of hunting. I can take the picatinny base off of the rifle and go with a 11mm mount on the Tikka. The reason I wanted to mount it on a scope base was so I could move it around to other rifles without changing the mount.

Reactions: Just Macca
To be completely honest, I think an RDS on a hunting bolt action rifle is far more capable and useful than most give it credit.

If you live in the western US and often have shots at game 500+ yards away, maybe it's not for you. But if you hunt in the forested parts of the eastern and midwestern US a reflex or holographic sight is very viable out to max point blank range of most common cartridges.

Like this?

I was actually installing taller rings and adjusting eye relief, but I have an unoccupied Micro H-1 laying around. If this were a lightweight build with a pencil barrel and lightweight stock I think I'd actually like it a lot, but alas this optic is ill suited to my rifle's configuration.

I was tempted to remove my Comp M4s and magnifier from another rifle and get a pic of it too, but it was getting late

Attachments

• 20181025_183818[1].jpg
    20181025_183818[1].jpg
    268 KB · Views: 32
Like this?

I was actually installing taller rings and adjusting eye relief, but I have an unoccupied Micro H-1 laying around. If this were a lightweight build with a pencil barrel and lightweight stock I think I'd actually like it a lot, but alas this optic is ill suited to my rifle's configuration.

I was tempted to remove my Comp M4s and magnifier from another rifle and get a pic of it too, but it was getting late
That's exactly what I want. I had a Aimpoint T2 on an AR15. I took it off to put on a bolt action for hunting season.