• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint Micro T-1 problem...dot isnt really a dot

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
I bought a new T1. Never fired it, but fingered it here and there. I got to looking at the dot closer. It seems the dot isnt really a dot but more of two goofy lines that spand approx. 3" at 15 yards. The lines run from the 10oclock to the 4oclock position. First aimpoint product for me and I'm not happy.

Have you guys heard or seen one of the T1s do this before? And does anyone have a good contact at Aimpoint that will fix this this?

Re: Aimpoint Micro T-1 problem...dot isnt really a dot

Can you try and get a picture? It sounds like you are seeing the flare from the inside of the tube body.

I'll be able to get one tomorrow. The same lines are seen at various brightness levels, if that makes a difference in troubleshooting.

When I. Stare directectly at my comp ml3 dot I see little bleed out lines too. It isn't a perfect round dot. However, when I am using it, looking at the target,......it is a round dot. I thought this was normal.

Rotate the optic -- if the shape of the dot rotates with the optic then it could be something with the Aimpoint...

...but more than likely the dot will stay the same, which means you have astigmatism.

Go see an optometrist and get glasses/contacts to correct the astigmatism and the dot will be crisp
smile.gif

Another way you can check -- if you have a rear peep sight, look through it at the dot -- if you have astigmatism, looking through the small aperture will diminish the "smeared" appearance.

Have you had anyone else look through the optic? Astigmatism can cause reticle images to be distorted in red dot sights. If your eyes are normal, try playing with the brightness levels to see if the image improves. If that doesn't work Aimpoint will take care of you. Aimpoint micros are great sights, I've been running them for 3 years and they are my go to RDS. I think you'll be happy with it once you get the dot issue sorted out.

That's why I had to get rid of my T1. Stupid astigmatism and the 4MOA dot. It just just a distorted blob. I had to switch to an EOTech because of their smaller dot. With that said, I'm actually OK with the 2MOA dots of the Aimpoints. The good thing is that Aimpoint just released the 2MOA T1. I might have to make the switch back.

I think you guys are on to something here. I have noticed that the reticle stays the same as I rotate it.

I may call Aimpoint and see if I can switch it for the 2moa. I had Eotechs as well and sold them to switch over to the T1s. Eotechs worked great for me.

I had the same issue. Amazing why new glasses can fix. I now see perfectly round dots in my T1's.
cool.gif

The Eotechs worked differently for you probably because it uses holographic lasers to produce the dot. The Aimpoint dot can NOT compare in crispness and quality of the Eotech.

Of course, when it comes to robustness, it's a whole different story.
smile.gif

My Aimpoint red dots are oblong shape to my eyes. :p

there are alot of good fake aimpoints out there that look just like the real thing but the glass and dot look very cheap, i bought a fake comp m4 and a real comp m4 they looked the same but the glass on the fake looked like i was looking through a dirty brownish window lol

Here's something I found to be interesting, I've looked through quite a few fake aim points and the real things...

To my eyes... i only get the oblong shape with the REAL THING. With the fakes, its always a perfect circle to me.

Go figure... heh

As for the picture through the aimpoint itself... the fakes I've seen have a heavy blue/green tinge. The real ones have the same tinge, but only in the far edges... the point at which you actually look through, that color cast disappears.

what i got from this thread is that....if your aimpoint is slightly lees than a perfect dot ( oblong shaped ) than you have an authentic aim point. correct? btw i bought my aimpoint from larue tactical and pretty sure it is authentic and my dot is slightly oblonged. never gave me any trouble.

I noticed mine seemed to be oblong the closer it was. So i moved it as far forward as it would go without crossing the rails (non monolithic) and the dot is fine for me. I'm RH and Left eye dominant but i don't have much trouble focusing on it when i shoulder my AR. Thats what worked for me. You will want it forward on the weapon to maintain FOV also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what i got from this thread is that....if your aimpoint is slightly lees than a perfect dot ( oblong shaped ) than you have an authentic aim point. correct? btw i bought my aimpoint from larue tactical and pretty sure it is authentic and my dot is slightly oblonged. never gave me any trouble. </div></div>

The dot is pretty much a true dot...at least as true as it needs to be.

Astigmatism seems to be the problem most have. At least it is for me.

i am RH - left eye dominant as well. i shoot riffle left handed. problem solved. mostly.

I have a T-1 and I have astigmatism. Even with my glasses, I see a 45º football. I can still shoot accurately with it as long as I keep the dot from blooming too much.

45 degree footbal....yup. btw my last eye check up I was a perfect 20/20.