• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air gun hunters?

ironman56

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
Any hunters out there , I've taken 8 deer since Texas approved airguns for deer hunting , and many coons and a few fox.

Attachments

• 16839995734212716387619309347606.jpg
    16839995734212716387619309347606.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 16839996024155750650124653935834.jpg
    16839996024155750650124653935834.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 58
  • 20211128_103720_06.jpg
    20211128_103720_06.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
I mainly go after varmint and small game. Currently working on a build that will be used to take a deer this fall.

Wingshooting carpenter bees with the red Ryder this time of year is amazing practice for npa

Reactions: mtrmn
I am retiring the idea of using gas-piston air guns. They fucking suck and when the gas ram leaks, the gun is useless. Fortunately I did get to use my .30 cal gas-piston rifle on a few rabbits before retiring. Got a ton of .30 cal pellets left so looking into getting back into the PCP world. Plus, I'll get to use .30 cal slugs and not just pellets. :devilish:

I am retiring the idea of using gas-piston air guns. They fucking suck and when the gas ram leaks, the gun is useless. Fortunately I did get to use my .30 cal gas-piston rifle on a few rabbits before retiring. Got a ton of .30 cal pellets left so looking into getting back into the PCP world. Plus, I'll get to use .30 cal slugs and not just pellets. :devilish:
Umarex makes a 30cal gauntlet ,and it's not that expensive, I have a .25 cal with a ATN xsifht pro that I've taken , a boat load of coons and feral cats with , 30 might be a little lite for deer , but it is doable , I have 4 different. 357 cals and one 45 that will take deer inside of 100yrds.

Yessir!! I hunt with PCPs. Currently enjoying squirrel season, but deer, hogs, coyotes, beaver, raccoon, armadillo, and rabbits are in queue.
@ironman56 I like those Euromounts!

PCP Airguns are the way to go. I have been shooting PCP's since 2009. I have owned quite a few guns and calibers. I use a .30 caliber for Small game, Coyotes and even killed a Javalina with one. 44 grain pellet going about 875-900 fps.

I have been to Africa twice with Kip Perow of Air guns of Arizona and watched him kill all types of animals with his .45 Caliber Bushbuck, including a 1000Lb eland. I was shooting a 30 caliber PCP airgun and killing vervet monkeys a 90 yards plus.

Love firearms but PCP airguns are a kick in the pants.

Last edited:
What scope do you guys use? I was looking at Sightron and element scopes with 10yd minimum distance for focus because sometimes I have to set up really close for rats. I am looking in to the panthera compact in 22 for rats and backyard target practice- current setup works but I don’t like it at all.

I have been using a lot of the Sig Sauer 1-6 X26 8 and 1-10X28. My Wholesaler had a great deal on them so I loaded up. Like the size and the zoom range. Shooting smaller pests; Birds, Rodents, Rabbits Etc. I like starting at 1 power and dialing in. Prefer the wider field of view. I have both SFP and FFP scopes and prefer the First Focal plain in the Sig.

In the Past I was using the Aztec 5-25X50mm but found Starting at 5 power is to much for my smaller caliber game guns.

Hawke made some great scopes and had a pretty cool Ballistic calculator App for their scopes.

I have also used the MTC Vipers but I hate the eye relief. Do not like my Face right on the eye piece.

In the end boils down to your application and budget but there are a lot of great scopes out there for PCP airguns

Reactions: Steelteacher
I can see 5x being a lot. 3 has worked for me, but have thought about going to 4 for more scope options.
That sig is interesting - I am going to look in to that one!
Got spoiled recently at event and looking at some pricey scopes (for me) $800 ish - yes FFP! - hoping to get illuminated for low light as well and hope it’s dim enough. Never owned an illuminated scope before so curiousity is also a part. going to be selling some stuff to buy this and just want a setup I’ll enjoy hunting and practicing with.
Thank you!

My Sig has 11 different illumination settings. Most illuminated scopes do. They go from Dim to Bright.

Long example to show you the illumination of the Sig Tango MSR. Side note I also like the sig Tango MSR scope because it comes with a Picatinny scope mount as well.

What scope do you guys use? I was looking at Sightron and element scopes with 10yd minimum distance for focus because sometimes I have to set up really close for rats. I am looking in to the panthera compact in 22 for rats and backyard target practice- current setup works but I don’t like it at all.

I like the Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 for hunting at normal airgun distances!

I've had some 1-4/6/8/10 x24's on airguns and find 1x is never used. 12x sure is though and I find myself on 4-6x a lot.
This scope is great for speed as well as precision. It's super versatile. I got 2nd place in a XFT match with it mounted on my Thomas HPX. 5-25's are the most common scope for this type of match BTW and we shoot to 100Y.

The Mil version reticle has a .3 mil center dot surrounded by a large ring.
Has holdovers for elevation and windage.
Not heavy, nice glass, locking turrets, zero stop, 10 mils per turn and .1 mil clicks, focuses close 10Y or less, and has illumination.

Here's mine on a Vulcan 30 cal.
20210531_114803.jpg

Also on my Steyr ProX 22 cal. The scope on the Steyr LGB1 is a Athlon Midas TAC 5-25 so you can see how small the 2-12 is.
20221204_134238.jpg

I like the Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 for hunting at normal airgun distances!

I've had some 1-4/6/8/10 x24's on airguns and find 1x is never used. 12x sure is though and I find myself on 4-6x a lot.
This scope is great for speed as well as precision. It's super versatile. I got 2nd place in a XFT match with it mounted on my Thomas HPX. 5-25's are the most common scope for this type of match BTW and we shoot to 100Y.

The Mil version reticle has a .3 mil center dot surrounded by a large ring.
Has holdovers for elevation and windage.
Not heavy, nice glass, locking turrets, zero stop, 10 mils per turn and .1 mil clicks, focuses close 10Y or less, and has illumination.

Here's mine on a Vulcan 30 cal.
View attachment 8171316
Also on my Steyr ProX 22 cal. The scope on the Steyr LGB1 is a Athlon Midas TAC 5-25 so you can see how small the 2-12 is.
View attachment 8171326
That is bad ass. Thank you! I keep looking at spending a bit more…not sure if I’ll gain performance I can use. 50 yards probably normal range I’ll have, but hopefully I’ll get a better place to shoot where I can get out to 80 or further to see how I can do. The range has 100 but that’s further away/I’ll use mostly firearms…

Reactions: steve123
I have the Athlon Ares 2.5x15x50 on my 357 slayer , it's a FFP scope and at low magnification my 67yr old eyes have a hard time seeing the rectical , but the glass is super clear all the way to 15 x , and the illumination is the type that has a off position between each setting which I like , also have the old weaver classic extream 2.5 x 10 x 56 on a AeA 357 semi , these scopes have been discontinued but were dirt cheap at Natches shooters supply a few years ago , I've been very pleased with the ones I got in several different models , wish I would've bought more

Attachments

• 20230628_084633.jpg
    20230628_084633.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230628_084709.jpg
    20230628_084709.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 23
I also have a aimsport 4.5 x 27 x 50 ffp scope on a aea 357 bull pup , this scope was very cheap 225 iirc but is a bargain for airgun use will focus down to 15 yrds at 4.5 power and the glass is far better than its price point , I've had it for 2 years now and no problems , some guy on the airgun forums was raving about them , so I took a chance on one , not bad at all for the$$ ,don't think I'd trust it on a powder burner but for PCP airguns it's very good China kit.

Attachments

• 20230628_090742.jpg
    20230628_090742.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Steelteacher
That is bad ass. Thank you! I keep looking at spending a bit more…not sure if I’ll gain performance I can use. 50 yards probably normal range I’ll have, but hopefully I’ll get a better place to shoot where I can get out to 80 or further to see how I can do. The range has 100 but that’s further away/I’ll use mostly firearms…

Thanks.

Some people don't like the larger dot this scope has which is a personal preference. I couldn't be happier.

Some things worth mentioning about that subject.
#1 there are very few airguns that will group consistently within the size of the dot past 20Y. The dot is hair over 1/4" at 25Y.

#2 Most standard reticles can get washed out in the shade or in dim circumstances. The dot and circle are much easier to see in the Mil version Helos G2 2-12x42 without the illume on but you also have that option to use.

#3 this reticle is a plinkers jewel. Its the most fun scope I use for shooting steel on my property. Nothing else I have comes close to it.

Every time I tried to save money buying a scope I wasn't enthused with, that I bought anyway, I ended up selling later at a loss because it was a disappointment or it sits on a shelf because nobody else wants it.
So my advice is spend the extra couple hundred and get a nice scope.

Nothing huge or spectacular, but an airgun none the less. These are far more fun than big guns for sure. Epically when you can get your kids out.
This year my son will be taking a shot at live vermin.

Attachments

• 20230627_193941.jpg
    20230627_193941.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Thanks.

Some people don't like the larger dot this scope has which is a personal preference. I couldn't be happier.

#1 there are very few airguns that will group consistently within the size of the dot past 20Y. The dot is hair over 1/4" at 25Y.

#2 Most standard reticles can get washed out in the shade or in dim circumstances. The dot and circle are much easier to see in the Mil version Helos G2 2-12x42 without the illume on but you also have that option to use.

#3 this reticle is a plinkers jewel. Its the most fun scope I use for shooting steel on my property. Nothing else I have comes close to it.

Every time I tried to save money buying a scope I wasn't enthused with, that I bought anyway, I ended up selling later at a loss because it was a disappointment or it sits on a shelf because nobody else wants it.
thank you! I will take your advice... it is what I want to do, but it's also a leap in to a new world for me so it's nice to have encouragement/a push. of course, figuring out what is going to make me smile every time is freaking hard when you can't look through them...

Thanks.

I totally see what you mean about that reticle. it does look fun. and this is the only scope with it in their lineup! super tempting, but want something more precise for this....that said, I have a 10/22 that could use this scope really well... or maybe it does need an airgun...it does look really fun!