• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Air Rifles + thermals

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Not sure if I should put this in the NV section or what, but here it is. Anyone here hunt varmints with an air rifle and a thermal?

I'm looking to take care of a rodent infestation in a shed i have in the woods behind my house. It'll be fun too!
    I live in a the Burbs (neighbors on either side but none behind) so I need:

1. Silence!
    2. Pic rail for mounting my thermal.
    3. Low cost. (~$400)
    4. Repeater. (5 round mag sufficient)
    5. Either CO2 or refillable air.
    6. Nothing too powerful that it could be used to kill larger game for safety reasons. .17? .22?
    7. Decent accuracy to hit mice at 25-yds and under.

I've only ever had crappy pump guns and RR lever actions, so I'm not really sure what's out there.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at some of the rifles that pop up here in discussions but they are all north of $2500 or so. This is strictly for fun rodent control and something to do out my back window in the summer. Not gonna compete or hunt with it. Only other crap I see is the Walmart or Cabela offerings. Is there something in between Wally-World guns and the high-end stuff I'm missing?

Thanks!

noxshed.JPG

Vermin kill-house.

Hate to break it. For all the options you want above.. it will be up towards $2K. I finally made the plunge on an FX. Best decision I've made

Reactions: MOUNTIC
    most on agn will recommend a benjamin marauder for a starter pcp repeater. you might need or want to add a silencer or moderator if not quiet enough. i would maybe try airgun nation forums because it is at least 70% pest shooters and many night ratters.

most on agn will recommend a benjamin marauder for a starter pcp repeater. you might need or want to add a silencer or moderator if not quiet enough. i would maybe try airgun nation forums because it is at least 70% pest shooters and many night ratters.

That looks like it could fit the bill. Thanks!

but note that the mag is between the rings, so this could be an issue with some kinds of optics. you wanted a rail...
    Do the mags clip in from the side, or top?

Might be able to run the thermal on this one...
    Screenshot_20211204-142712.png

Screenshot_20211204-142657.png

Might clip on behind or in front of mag?

If you go with a PCP air rifle - which is probably a good idea since spring air guns easily destroy optics - you'll also need a specialized high-pressure pump, with specialized fittings. An ordinary compressor is nowhere near sufficient (~100 psi vs ~3000 psi for an air gun). Basic high-pressure hand pumps run about $50, powered ones around $500.

Reactions: earthquake
    You definitely want PCP guns to not kill your day/night optics.

We have some rats near chicken coop/horse barn which is 50 meters away, and the two air guns I have/use are:

Benjamin Armada, PCP in 22cal, one of the few guns with full picatinny rail on top so you can use clip on easily. Very quiet out of box. The handguard is MLOK (well sorta, the tolerance is pretty loose) so you can install ARCA plate to use on a tripod. Shown with Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5 and PVS-30.

This would be my recommendation for a budget setup.
    IMG_4700.jpg

On the more expensive & fun side, here's an FX dreamline in Scandinavian Airguns Jet Air chassis, again has the front NVG mount, and has ARCA built into the chassis. Shown with Sig Tango6 2-12 and TigIR.
    IMG_9692.jpg

Last edited:
    I have an Airforce Talon SS with a Talon Tunes moderator on it and a Burris BTS 35. I really like the rifle and the thermal scope.

Because it is unregulated the velocity will vary a little bit. Regardless of that I think I get pretty good accuracy for something that is unregulated.

I will say one thing about shooting mice in the field with the thermal; it was the most fun that you could have with your pants on. I felt like I was training with my AR-15 which also has a Burris thermal scope.

I discuss the thermal and the rifle in this thread.