• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Airline walkout

eca7891

Keeper of useless knowledge
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2019
Heard rumors floating that this has happened in Jacksonville and other areas?

Can anyone verify???

Everyone feel free to link an other industry walkouts/sickouts in the thread as well.

It would be nice to have one thread to check on these, if more are to follow.

Southwest canceled 2000 flights yesterday.

That just came across the news. It did not say why. The stock is down 3%. I’m not sure you would see a 3% drop from normal weather cancellations. I’m sure this would have had impact on other airlines as well. 🤷‍♂️

who knows??

Southwest has canceled about 1k/day over the weekend. They are claiming "weather and ATC"...there was significant weather on Friday in Florida, military activity over the Atlantic which closed down some overwater Atlantic Routes, combined with a Jacksonville Center controller testing positive and COVID protocols going into place which (temporarily) reduced ATC staffing in that critical north/south airspace. That caused a lot of planes and crews to be out of position.

That being said...American, Jetblue, Spirit, Delta, and other passenger carriers didn't seem to be significantly impacted. Southwest also does more point-to-point than other legacy carriers.

Southwest also has been critically staffed over the entire summer, having had a lot of early retirements and leaves granted during 2020. They've been reliant on crews picking up additional flying to cover the schedule. Accordingly, it doesn't take a big irregular operation to totally screw things up, especially during college football/hunting/Fall Break season when people may be less interested in OT.

Also, FAA requires 48 hours off between COVID vaccination and reporting for duty; flight crew getting vaccinated in accordance with the announced mandate would contribute to a lack of available crew (scheduled, reserves or available on days off to pick up open flying) when already they didn't have enough crew to operate their schedule under optimum circumstances.

"Crews walking out due to a vaccine mandate" makes a good soundbite when it provides confirmation bias...but likely isn't the smoking gun root cause.

Southwest is not having issues with weather or air traffic control. The mandate has circled back back and hitting them hard in the pocketbook
The mandate came from Uncle Sugar and they passed it along to their peasants. Bail out money comes at a price.

Reactions: gigamortis
I have heard no soundbite on the news.

This is one reason why I asked for verification.

Reactions: Bakwa and djarecke
If Southwest management believes there is an illegal job action going on from any of the work groups, they will file a lawsuit post-haste... I havent seen anything on that happening...yet... so, the jury is still out.

American Airlines pilots staged an illegal sick out in 1999 and management was in court very quickly and the judge forced the pilots back to work and fined them 46 million dollars.

The pilots and air traffic controllers have walked off because of the death jab mandate and the news is trying to hide it. There's one pilot's video over in porta john. I was listening last night to Ben Ferguson on the radio and he had pilots calling and e-mailing in all confirming that they were walking off.

Southwest has canceled about 1k/day over the weekend. They are claiming "weather and ATC"...there was significant weather on Friday in Florida, military activity over the Atlantic which closed down some overwater Atlantic Routes, combined with a Jacksonville Center controller testing positive and COVID protocols going into place which (temporarily) reduced ATC staffing in that critical north/south airspace. That caused a lot of planes and crews to be out of position.

That being said...American, Jetblue, Spirit, Delta, and other passenger carriers didn't seem to be significantly impacted. Southwest also does more point-to-point than other legacy carriers.

Southwest also has been critically staffed over the entire summer, having had a lot of early retirements and leaves granted during 2020. They've been reliant on crews picking up additional flying to cover the schedule. Accordingly, it doesn't take a big irregular operation to totally screw things up, especially during college football/hunting/Fall Break season when people may be less interested in OT.

Also, FAA requires 48 hours off between COVID vaccination and reporting for duty; flight crew getting vaccinated in accordance with the announced mandate would contribute to a lack of available crew (scheduled, reserves or available on days off to pick up open flying) when already they didn't have enough crew to operate their schedule under optimum circumstances.

"Crews walking out due to a vaccine mandate" makes a good soundbite when it provides confirmation bias...but likely isn't the smoking gun root cause.
I was really hoping this was a walk out.

But your 2nd paragraph is probably closer to the truth, along with some sprinkling of the other events.

1C5A93F4-933A-405D-8C86-07B64E29686D.jpeg

If it is a walkout or not, the narrative, and the blame, is already out there.

Here is a new report which shows that s.w and the faa have refused to comment on whether this was caused by staffing shortages. Paragraph 4:

I hope this will continue to be a display of civil disobedience/protest. Maybe there can be some good come of it.

But, I wouldn’t be disappointed to learn that the large numbers of the unvaccinated are causing operating issues.

Airlines' media reps are desperately trying to blame weather and faulty issues with equipment, but multiple huge threads have been posted on ARF, the Chans, etc., discussing this. There are strikes and walkouts under way over their vax mandates and employees of other airlines/airports are considering getting on this train as well.

We need pirates. Modern pirates.. do any special forces other then Tom cruises unit have capability to get into a aircraft midair? Asking for a friend.

I am flying SW today and as I was boarding a flight attendant was having discussions with pilots about how some pilots where looking to go to ups or fedex. There are pilots riding as passengers also. Probably to fill gaps elsewhere.

Waited 3 hrs for them to fly in a 1st officer for a flight on Friday.

The news is full of shit.

I really hope the other airline employees join the battle.
Otherwise it will be wack-a-mole of picking each pilot or staff person off one at a time.

Reactions: gigamortis
SWAPA is suing SWA over an alleged violation of "status quo" while in contract negotiations (a big no-no in Railway Labor Act land), and filed for injunctive relief of the new vaccine mandate until the status quo violation is ruled upon.

We'll see if that is successful; typically temporary restraining order requests are ruled upon within a few business days.

It is entirely possible for SWAPA to both 1. want to stay a vaccine mandate while 2. not engaging in any sort of organized or disorganized job action (which is also a big non-no in Railway Labor Act land, especially while in contract negotiations).

If Gary Kelly thought an illegal sickout was occurring, there would be TROs filed against any applicable union faster than you could say "coof".

I know the union leadership at two of the majors and an exec at another. This is just a shot across the bow.

I am also told that the baggage handlers are most of the unvaxxed and they will not comply. Most will walk.

My wife's former job was to handle loads in and out of major ports. Don't expect to get anything from overseas through the fall is what she is saying.

And we have yet to have the truck drivers weigh in.

I know the union leadership at two of the majors and an exec at another. This is just a shot across the bow.

I am also told that the baggage handlers are most of the unvaxxed and they will not comply. Most will walk.

My wife's former job was to handle loads in and out of major ports. Don't expect to get anything from overseas through the fall is what she is saying.

I hope every sensible person has laid in some reserves..... because once the truckers weigh in - they can bring the country to it's knees. This mandate crap needs big-time pushback.

I hope Gadsden and 3%er flags start popping up everywhere all over the walkout zones, thousands at once. The MSM will not be able to ignore or censor it.

Only 87 flights cancelled today.......buddy flew out of Tampa on SWA this morning to Nashvegas....left on time.

The stores are going to look like Black Friday...everyday. Just wait until the Karen's can't their stuff.

The stores are going to look like Black Friday...everyday. Just wait until the Karen's can't their stuff.
I hope they all call their congressmen and representatives to complain about the mandate causing these problems.

I've been seeing more and more Gadsden flags flying all over.
I have to tell you - it puts a BIG smile on my face to know that these people are on our side.

Most of the people working in infrastructure maintenance, roads, water supply, power generation, transport, rail, retail nationwide trucking supply chain, construction, etc., are blue collar conservatives. We have bore waves of insults and disrespect time after time such as being called "Bible thumpers", "bitter clingers", "man baby Nazis"... This is only the tiniest fraction of this group walking out right now and it is already making the system holler in pain. This group is one group the leftist cocksuckers really do not want to piss off. Another group they are about to feel the collective wrath of are the ultra-gamers and computer nerds. The govt vax records and apps and all the shit they use to track the vaxxing are all Internet based. The 'nerds' have access to malware and can create even more brutal shit that will smack govt agencies right back to the age of file drawers and typewriters if they decide that it is game on. The smug elitists really have no clue who they are fucking around with.

That probably affected four people total...:rolleyes:
That tweet looked sinister so I clicked on that twitter link and there was 1 update to a cancelled train the entire day yesterday. There were however 77 other regional VA to ME updates of trains en route/arriving.....and shows no cancellations today.

I hate it for good people trying to travel but happy to see push back for the brandon mandate.
I was truly hoping this SWA news was more than what it's turning out to be. Unless there is some kind of repeat of the weekend this week then going to guess it was a nothing burger as the CEO just said SWA is going to follow the Brandate

I hope every sensible person has laid in some reserves..... because once the truckers weigh in - they can bring the country to it's knees. This mandate crap needs big-time pushback.

Unfortunately much of the political leadership and some of the corporate leadership think they call the shots. And that they don't need consent. They see people as things that are replaceable and fungible. Not as human beings who have agency and who will only be pushed so far. Many don't have kids nor know anyone who is blue collar, or who has been in prison, or even in the military. They live in a vast cocoon and just get their asses kissed every day. This breeds contempt in them for most people. Most are not Christians or Jewish or Muslim and thus were not instructed in humbleness. compassion, or morality or the divineness of the individual.

A leader first and foremost places their people first, understands them, supports them, and listens to and responds to them. Protects them. And shows it by actions and words. Its really very simple after that.

Its amazing to me that the most privileged people, ie CEOs and Corporate Boards, are not speaking out publicly about this crap. And preparing their replacements to do the same thing. They have the least to lose for getting the most gain for their people.

Im not a flyer, but if there is a shortage, im gonna assume the shortage has or soon will extend to the plane maintenance.

Guessing if something bad happens they can blame it on the unvaxxed too.

Im not a flyer, but if there is a shortage, im gonna assume the shortage has or soon will extend to the plane maintenance.

Guessing if something bad happens they can blame it on the unvaxxed too.
Guessing if something bad happens they can blame it on the unvaxxed DOMESTIC TERRORIST too.

Fixed it for you