• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AK-47 Parts Kit

I recommend ak builders headspaced kits, and personally dealt with arms of america. He was knowledge keep when I called and able to give me everything I needed in 1 quick call.
Seth

You missed the boat, ak kits used to come with the barrel still pressed in the trunion, the trunion, the carrier, and bolt all had the same SN stamped in them, assemble was a breeze, now that the barrels aren't included adjusting headspace is gonna be a PIA without the special tools, my advice is just buy one.

I've already done an AR-15 build starting with a stripped lower and I've heard building an AK-47 is about as easy. I guess I was inspired by the guy who built an AK-47 starting out with a shovel.

Ar are easier to build. And ak builders kits can be bought with a barrel pretty headspaced. It can come assembled because you need to rivet inside the trunion where the barrel gets pressed in. To build an ak you will need to weld and press rivets and finish all the metal or send it out. They are more work than an AR which is just assembly. I have purchased a matching numbers Egyptian mad kit about a year ago.
Seth

I can weld (will need to get a welder though) and can finish the metal. I've even done riveting before.

Of course the question is, should I get an arc welder, a gas welder, a tig welder or a mig welder.

I'd start with a mig, but a tig will likely come in real handy too.

If you're building these from a flat you only need a spot welder. If you're building these from a receiver like from NDS then you don't need a welder at all.

Become a member of AKFiles and the AKForums. Check out the marketplace on both forums. People sell kits with original barrels and matching numbers for decent prices. The kits at AK-Builder and ArmsofAmerica are headspaced, but come with US barrels for approximately the same price. Original barrel kits with matching numbers is the way to go.

Check out NoDakSpud and Childers Guns for stamped receivers to build your kit on.

Building AR's is an assembly process. Between welding, riveting, finishing, etc., an AK build requires a level of craftsmanship. As mentioned above, it is best to learn from someone else before diving in yourself.

Big +1 to CalRon and Adventurer_96.

TheAkforum.net has a very vibrant user base and is probably the best place to get kits with or sans barrel. If you get one without a barrel, the build will be significantly more involved just because of gas port issues (may require some drilling). BlueJack (not to be confused with RedJacket) makes some great barrels, although I'm not sure if they've ever done anything with chrome lining. Copes Distributing has AMAZING deals now and then and also great customer service.

Ak-builder.com also has great build tools/kits.

Building an AK is definitely more involved than an AR. But if you are comfortable with rivets and a dremel and have access to some headspace gauges, it is not that hard of a build and there are plenty of videos available to guide you. The AK is not a precision weapon. It is a simple, reliable, hard-to-fuck-up weapon that can hit minute-of-man at 300m after 10k rounds through the barrel, decades of abuse and disuse, and an even coat of rust instead of cerakote.

Just a few notes:

stay away from screw builds.

Stay away from receivers marked as 'Hesse' or 'Vulcan' -- they were improperly heat treated and rivets have a way of 'walking' after only ~1k rounds.

NoDak Spud is a great source for new receivers as is 74ullc.

BE SURE that whatever you build is 922r compliant. If you don't know what that federal law is, look it up before attempting anything.

So far I have built a Yugo underfolder, a Bulgie sidefolder, a Romie, a Khyber Pass-ed Romie, and a Tantal. I also modded a PSL. You will need a bunch of tools that aren't cheap to build an AK properly. Romies can be a PITA to headspace because they are so tight and matching kits are getting scarce. Lots of good advice above. I also would recommend getting a kit from Curtis at AKbuilder.com and a NoDak Spud receiver if you insist on building it yourself. If you need to drill rivet holes, plan on smoking some drill bits. The AK receivers are pretty tough. Fastenal has some bits which cut well but aren't cheap.

I know I could buy a nice Arsenal with the money I spent on tooling already.

This is a handy link for 922R:

Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds