• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AK-47 Trouble Shooting

ShooterZ

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
I recently completed a pre-ban ak-47 parts kit with a Tapco frame and parts, and its having feed issues. It will chamber the first round when I rack it back and fire and do the same for the second round when after the first shell is ejected. The problem comes after that. The bolt seems to end up catching the third shell about midway along its length and causing a jam. After the third round is fired, it'll chamber the fourth round then have the same problem with the fifth round. Based on this, the rifle seems to have a preference to which side of the magazine the round comes up on. I have tried several different magazines and the problem doesn't change. Any advice?

Re: AK-47 Trouble Shooting

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I'm not trying to sound like an asshole here, but how do you know you built it correctly or there wasn't something off with the flat?

Of the AK-47s that I've owned, they ate anything I fed them and kept on going.

Also, what kind of ammo are you using?

I had a friend who's built several of these same kits over the years watching over my shoulder to make sure I did it right. The flats that he's shaped from the same jig have all run without any troubles.
The only ammo I've run through it are about 4 boxes of NORINCO steel case rounds that are about as old as the parts kit.
Originally it wouldn't work even as well as it does now. I've had to do some filing on the hammer, bolt carrier, the ejector on the rail, as well as the guide that lines up the bolt with the chamber.
Everything else on the rifle functions flawlessly and its the most accurate AK-47 I've ever shot.

Be sure the magazine sits square in the rifle. If youre getting bolt-override only on one side of the mag then I would guess that the mag slants away from that side. Does the receiver have dimples above the mag well (or mag hole as its not really a well)? If so did you remove the lower portion of the rails that would serve as supports for the mag if there were no dimples? Strip the action and insert a mag. With the dust cover off and the bolt carrier removed look closely at the mag feed lips. Does the mag rest against the bottom of the rails? It should, especially in the rear, or at least darned close. Did you modify the mags at all for fit? The general rule of "fix the cheapest part" does NOT apply to fitting mags. If you make you mags work with your weapon then you are limited. Does the lock tab on the back of the mag sit flush (or close) to the plate that forms the selector stop beneath the trigger guard?

Another cause can be that the receiver is slightly too wide, and the ejector is too long. The TAPCO rails on the 80% recs are universal. Theyre drop (weld) in for 5.45/5.56 receiver, and need to be shortened for 7.62. If the ejector is too long it will push the bolt carrier to the right and cause it to skip over the rounds on the left side of the magazine.

Ok, thats enough to confuse you for now. PM if you need any help.

I have built a few where out of the gate the rails were tight. The bolt had alot of friction and would stop halfway if cycling by hand. The only thing I really found to fix it was to take em out and shoot the shit out of them. All my builds were NODAK receivers though. If this was a self bent flat your rails may be a little to large and need to be shaved a hair. If your using a Receiver with rails down below for the mag and not dimples you might have one larger than the other pushing the mag to one side.

I have narrowed down all of the trouble to the bolt. The part of the bolt that hooks into the rails is too short for some reason allowing the bottom to tilt to the left and jam up on the rounds on the left. The frame is to spec and if it got any tighter the bolt carrier would have trouble moving.
Any suggestions on how I should fix this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackRifle007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything else on the rifle functions flawlessly and its the most accurate AK-47 I've ever shot. </div></div>

There has to be something wrong with that statement

When the flats are bent and riveted it can bow the bottom down leaving the
magazine low and cause what you are describing. Pull the cover and carrier, lay
the top of the receiver on a block of wood and with a mallet and small block of
wood strike the bottom of the receiver in it's centerline at the mag latch area.
It' a common build problem and an easy fix if that's it. You didn't say the left side
of the bolt was actually exiting the rail so I am assuming it is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When the flats are bent and riveted it can bow the bottom down leaving the
magazine low and cause what you are describing. Pull the cover and carrier, lay
the top of the receiver on a block of wood and with a mallet and small block of
wood strike the bottom of the receiver in it's centerline at the mag latch area.
It' a common build problem and an easy fix if that's it. You didn't say the left side
of the bolt was actually exiting the rail so I am assuming it is not. </div></div>

Would that cause a 1/8 inch gap between the rear of the inserted magazine and the rails? The front of the magazine has about a 1/32 inch gap. Is the bolt rubbing against the left side feed lip of the magazine an indicator of this? The finish is all worn off on the edge of the lip.