• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

ak 47

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
need to know who makes the best ak on the market right now, i know all ak's go bang when you pull the trigger, but im looking for one that is built well and decent on accuracy any info would be great

Re: ak 47

One more vote for the Arsenal, Inc. AK variants!!

Personally, out of all the AK's I have shot and owned, the best made and most accurate variants seem to be the Arsenals. They still feature the neverending reliability of a traditional AK with MUCH better accuracy (better barrels, fire control, QC, all lead to more accurate rifles). While they are nowhere near the cheapest AKs, they are great rifles and well worth the extra dough.

I have a Romanian WASR-10. It looks and feels cheap. However it is MUCH more accurate than I expected. It shoots Minute of Clay pigeons at 100 yards, which is plenty good for me.

Another WASR here. They look cheap, feel cheap, and you can find them cheap. But they are tanks that you cannot jam. This think will cycle anything that fits in it. Accuracy isn't bad either. Generally 3 inches at 100 yards.
But as for quality, another vote for Arsenal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok here is my last question stamped or milled reciever </div></div>

You can't go wrong with milled, but whether or not you NEED a milled receiver AK is your call. Personally, if its in your budget, I would go milled and not think twice! Here is a run-down of the basic differences.

In brief, the milled AK receivers are very strong compared to their stamped counterparts. They won't twist/torque/warp under hard use and will last a lifetime +. However, because of the additional cost of materials and labor to build milled AKs, they also cost more than stamped equivalents. A final issue is that they are generally heavier than stamped models.

Stamped receivers are much more common and generally ALL you see with the huge number of "kit" guns floating around. They are damned easy to build on compared to the milled AKs and because of that along with how cheap stamped receivers/flats are, they cost less than milled AKs. While they can be extremely durable, they are not as strong as the milled AKs and thus, can twist/torque/warp under stress. The rivets, welds and screws (on some inferior "kit" guns and commercial models) can work loose and create major problems.

looked on the arsenal web page and found that most of the ak's are saiga's so it would be cheaper to buy a saiga so does any one have any info on the saiga's

If you can find one and its in your budget the Arsenal milled AK's are real nice.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/milled.htm

There is a link to all there milled rifles. Im not sure how many milled guns they put out any more or if they just do small limited runs now.

I don't keep up with AK's much but if I remember correctly you can't use some stamped parts on a milled gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a centurion 39 sporter,all new parts and american made</div></div>

For what the Centurian costs you can buy an Arsenal. I'd say "No way". I have two CAI Rommeys and one shoots sub 2" for ten rounds consistently, and both have been totally reliable. But with CAI it can be a crap shoot.

Best bet ... build your own 'Arsenal'. $350 for a Saiga x39, $160 in parts, and a morning with a drill and dremel tool and you can have what Arsenal is selling for far less while learning a lot about the weapon, as well. Tres simple.

Come on, the guy asked for the best one on the market... don't tell him a WASR. Yeah I have one, and it works great, but it is far from the best AK on the market. Whether it is the best VALUE might be debateable, but others are much higher quality and you can expect better accuracy out of them.

I would recommend a Saiga, converted back to pistol grip/high cap form. It's not that hard to do. And when you do it, you will have an AK that is every bit the rifle an Arsenal is, while saving some dough and completing a fun project.

The Saigas are nice because they're made in Russia by Izmash on the same equipment they make the current military AK-100 series on, and the receiver is made out of very hard, good quality steel.

I have a WSAR in 7.62x39 and does sub 3" at 100 with irons which is fine b/c it's not a precision rifle or round. It's meant for man size targets at 300yds or less. If you want a precision rifle look at an AR. As far as quality.. the Arsenals are very nice but I wouldn't say they are any more reliable than a WSAR.. the fit/finish is just nicer on the Arsenals. These were just my findings.. they are both tools that do the same job.. one is just looks better doing it.

Don't forget about the Saiga's also.. that is what Arsenal uses to make there guns. They can be had for about the same price as a WSAR.. but not with the pistol grip configuration.

Take a look at the CAI 1960 milled polish ak's. They are a great value for the price.

If you want the best. I would go with a used Chinese milled like a Polytech Legend, nothing like a blued ak.

Arsenal are the nicest of the currently manufactured ak's, but "I think" for the $$$ their finish sucks. I also have read that the VEPR's are going to be imported again. I have no experience with them but a lot of people consider them to be one of the best.

I have an AK103 from Krebs Custom and it's nicer than any other AK variant I have ever handled. Expensive compared to the ones the previous posters have mentioned, but you said you want the best. Check out Krebs, though there are a handful if other custom builders that may be comparable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need to know who makes the best ak on the market right now, i know all ak's go bang when you pull the trigger, but im looking for one that is built well and decent on accuracy any info would be great </div></div>

Don't overlook Norinco and Poly Tech AKMs on the secondary market.
They are available with stamped and milled receivers... they have some of the best AK triggers made.

Mine is a pre-ban Norinco with a stamped receiver.

UltimateAKM.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need to know who makes the best ak on the market right now, i know all ak's go bang when you pull the trigger, but im looking for one that is built well and decent on accuracy any info would be great </div></div>

When you say "decent on accuracy" exactly what are you looking for? Decent is a pretty relative term.
Example:
(Me) Hey brother I have a date with this hot chick, but she's bringing one of her girlfriends. Will you wingman for me?
(You) Uhhh, I suppose so. What does her friend look like?
(Me) Decent.

This amount of info doesn't even leave you enough info to know whether you should be sober, slightly drunk, hammered drunk, or even trying to score a hit of heroin before said date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need to know who makes the best ak on the market right now, i know all ak's go bang when you pull the trigger, but im looking for one that is built well and decent on accuracy any info would be great </div></div>

Don't overlook Norinco and Poly Tech AKMs on the secondary market.
They are available with stamped and milled receivers... they have some of the best AK triggers made.

Mine is a pre-ban Norinco with a stamped receiver.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/UltimateAKM.jpg[/img]

IMG_2561.jpg
</div></div>

+1 on the Poly Tech Especilly the Legend milled recever model, Norinko's then Arsenal.