• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AK SBR Can

nleaders

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
AZ
Does anyone know of a short 308 can that could be used on an AK SBR?

Re: AK SBR Can

HA...

I did a quick check and they are all about 9+ inches. you could have someone make a custom one for you thats SUPER wide, but that would probably get expensive.

There is one on the Red Jacket website that is 6". That would be pretty cool, but are they any good. Their TV show is probably some of the worst bile ever produced...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nleaders</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is one on the Red Jacket website that is 6". That would be pretty cool, but are they any good. Their TV show is probably some of the worst bile ever produced... </div></div>

i just submitted a question asking about the average suppression of that can. Ill post back a response. i anticipate an answer along the lines of "this suppressor is world class and nothing better and by the way we have no data to back that up"

Even a suppressed AK is pretty loud , nowhere near ear safe due to the weapon desgine.
Are you wanting to supress it to tame muzzle concussion ? If so your better off just getting longer barrel , if you're gonna add 5-6" to a gun and it still be loud the. You may as well get the velocity

DJ microphone test data! C'mon, man! I love the AK, but isn't a firearm that I would personally put a can on. The design of the firearm makes it inherinently loud and the barrel "noodles" when fired. This give your a good chance to have a baffle or end cap strike. Not to mention that the threads are not concentric to the bore most of the time. I know that people do put cans on their AKs, but I have seen too many baffle and end cap strikes for my liking.

I'm satisfied with my Delta P Brevis 7.62x39mm silencer on a 16" AK. It's for 24mm threads though.

An AK silences pretty well compared to other semi-autos in my limited experience.

It is mostly so that I can launch 220+ Grain subsonics through it.

With gas getting vented at the gas block, most piston operated rifles are not well suited to sound suppression. And your short barreled AK probably stays very clean too - all the junk goes out the muzzle. Putting a can on there will make it much dirtier and you probably won't be happy with the level of suppression.

I was seriously kicking around the notion for a project and in the end shit canned the idea.

My reasons were fairly specific in that we are a non SBR state and I figured perm attaching a Form 1 can was a better option for my Draco compared to adding an extended muzzle device that serves no function. I figured a can would at least have a little usefulness.

In the end I just decided its best to invest in a MK18 clone if I wanted an "Non SBR" supressed shorty.

without having someone cut you threads specifically for the AK, you'll have to use a specialty suppressor for the big metric threads, and they are sloppy so the bore on the can has to be huge - the bullet is the proverbial hotdog thrown down a hallway, and the suppression suffers.

Maybe you'd be better off buying a short .308 can and having a good clean set of threads cut by someone like M60Joe who specializes in fixturing up barrels that are attached to receivers and threading them for suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nleaders</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is mostly so that I can launch 220+ Grain subsonics through it. </div></div>

As I posted in the red jacket thread you're going to be pretty unhappy with 220gr slugs in any standard AK barrel. The twist rate is just too slow to stabilize the long heavy bullet and when shot subsonic stability is even worse. It is a good way to nail the baffles and on many of the cans repair is difficult.

Frank

best way to do it would be to get a new barrel.

Well that makes sense. I think that is the beauty of Snipers Hide... You can get really honest opinions by people who know more than you. :)Thanks guys!

My brother had M60Joe thread his SBR AK's gas block/front sight base in 18X1M to match his SWR Omega. I think it had to have a sleeve pinned on it or something. Anyway, the threading is concentric to the bore. It works great.