• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alamo Precision compared to Seekins PH2

bwp86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Trenton, MO
I’m curious to hear your thoughts on an Alamo build compared to something like the Seekins Havak ph2. I’m looking at the 6.5 prc specifically and am wondering if it’s worth the price difference for a hunter. What do I get with an Alamo build that’s performs better than the Seekins.

Which Alamo model are you looking at? Could be twice the money... I bought a 7RM PH2 before last deer season and I like the rifle, nothing to complain about. Light, very accurate, nice package for the price, stock is good but not great. I would think the action selection would stand out and some of the steel barrels might be available in your preferred length with APR. Carbon options you can buy yourself and install in minutes nowadays.
Most look like an AG stock, some Defiance flavor action, TT trigger, maybe some cerakote and a Proof barrel. All quality stuff. Maybe consider building your own?

Reactions: bwp86
Which Alamo model are you looking at? Could be twice the money... I bought a 7RM PH2 before last deer season and I like the rifle, nothing to complain about. Light, very accurate, nice package for the price, stock is good but not great. I would think the action selection would stand out and some of the steel barrels might be available in your preferred length with APR. Carbon options you can buy yourself and install in minutes nowadays.
Most look like an AG stock, some Defiance flavor action, TT trigger, maybe some cerakote and a Proof barrel. All quality stuff. Maybe consider building your own?
I was looking at the maverick due to the cost. I’ve considered ordering the parts and putting together myself, but question my skills since I’ve never done anything outside of putting an AR lower together. I could also buy a factory rifle in that $1500 range and take the money saved to buy reloading equipment. From what I’ve read, the Seekins provides a good value. I also considered the CA Mesa at $1000, but have read they can be hit or miss on quality.

Last edited:
I was looking at the maverick due to the cost. I’ve considered ordering the parts and putting together myself, but question my skills since I’ve never done anything outside of putting an AR lower together. I could also buy a factory rifle in that $1500 range and take the money saved to buy reloading equipment. From what I’ve read, the Seekins provides a good value. I also considered the CA Mesa at $1000, but have read they can be hit or miss on quality.
I'd go Seekins over the CA for those reasons. Don't be afraid of putting together a rifle with today's prefit aftermarket everything. You could put the same thing together as some "customs" in your shop in an hour with a little snap and some youtube.

I'd go Seekins over the CA for those reasons. Don't be afraid of putting together a rifle with today's prefit aftermarket everything. You could put the same thing together as some "customs" in your shop in an hour with a little snap and some youtube.
Looking at the 6.5 prc…what action/barrel would you start with? Keeping costs in mind

Alamo is a full custom builder, while Seekins in more of a "semi"-custom. I do not want to imply that Seekins is somehow "less"--Its more like "This is our model, its X price and built to certain specs"

Alamo's base models appear to be based on a Defiance Action--but you can swap out for anything you want. (Including the action)

So if happy with a Seekins, go for it.

If there is something you'd rather have (I'd rather have a light palma profile or M24 or I want an Origin action for pre-fit barrels) than Alamo is probably a better bet as you get EXACTLY what you want.

Reactions: Modoc and bwp86
Looking at the 6.5 prc…what action/barrel would you start with? Keeping costs in mind
I think you have to ask yourself what you'll be happy with. Easy button is an Origin/proof prefit, I've done two already and couldn't be happier with them, that's me. A few of the other action makers can use prefit barrels but will cost a few hundred more.

Alamo did a barreled action for me which I dropped into a KRG x-ray. It’s a range/ PRS rifle that I’ve consistently shot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA groups. When I get back in the market for a hunting rifle, I will be hard pressed to look anywhere else. The guys are also very friendly, which is nice. I believe they use mullerworks barrels on the rifle you mentioned (I’ve never shot one but have heard good things)

I started looking at the origin with a prefit barrel. Seems to be 1500-2000 depending on the barrel. I could add a trigger, throw it in a krg bravo, and be set for a fairly reasonable price.

I have a howa 6creed in a krg bravo and it seems to do what I ask of it.

I really like my seekins ph2 in 6.5prc. I don’t think you could build a comparable rifle for even close to the cost of the seekins. I paid around $1600 for mine and it shoots just as good as my custom rifles. Action is pretty nice. It is easier to bind than my tikka or archimedes but I like it better than my bighorn tl2.

Also the seekins had interchangeable bolt heads. Currently magnum and 308 size and 223 is supposed to be coming soon.