• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alamo Precision, Christensen, or Bighorn Origin

• Alamo Precision Rifles

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Christensen BA Tactical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bighorn Origin

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Customize my Rem 700

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ETXbeginner

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
East Texas
Anyone here care to share feedback on their Alamo Precision Rifle build? I'm looking at their ready to ship rifles and they look impressive. Quality parts and from what a local guy claims they are supposed to be fantastic guns. They are definitely expensive enough to warrant getting some input from you guys. I'm particularly interested in a 6.5 creedmoor from them, even if I had to custom order one rather than get one of the ready to ship rifles. Any input or ideas would be great. I've looked into getting a gun built on an origin action but there are two things holding me back on it. 1) I have no patience when it comes to a new rifle and the lead times are pretty long on parts 2) I don't know that any of my local gunsmiths are familiar with custom action builds. There aren't many east Texas shooters with custom guns, you see a lot of bergaras, rem 700s, and rpr but not much else. I do currently have a Rem 700 Long Range stainless in 6.5 cm I could build from but I've never had any custom guns or work done so I don't have any idea what to do on it other than it needs a trigger. It's currently sitting in a Bell&Carlson m40 stock with a 20 moa rail and Viper PST Gen II. I recently sold a couple of unused guns to put together enough cash for a pretty decent gun or build. Budget is $2k without optic (will be more if my Savage Model 12 VLP sells or my Rem 700 Sendero). Thanks in advance for any input!

Visit the shop if you can. I’m on my 4th build with them and every one is a top shooter.
Good people who treat everyone like a shooting buddy.

Last edited:
What's the purpose behind the build/upgrade? Target, range toy, hunting, competition?
Sorry I should've included that bit. It will be predominantly a range gun. Target shooting from bags (or a bipod?) and banging steel inside 1200 yards. Don't plan on shooting and competitions other than showing my brother who's boss when we shoot together. Would hunt with it on occasion just for grins and giggles. East texas hunting is all from a box blind for me so weight isnt much of a factor when you aren't spot and stalking. Shorter barrel would be a plus though if I could still get out to 1000 yards reliably.

I love my APR. The barreled action was a gift and I put it in a Grayboe stock. 140 eldm's are impressive out of it. All they guys in the shop are great to deal with.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
My opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it, would be to touch up your 6.5. Have the timing and primary extraction checked. If it's just a range gun, I see no point in getting a custom unless it's just an itch you want to scratch. All that money could be put towards ammo, bipod and better trigger. How far have you shot the 6.5?

Reactions: Ddgdrvr
@long range sponge The second time I took it out after zeroing I spent time shooting at 400, 550, and a few rounds at 975 but took more rounds then I’d like to admit to get a hit. I’ve got a couple cases of ammo on the way. I like the setup but I don’t love it. I’d definitely like something with an adjustable cheek piece and better trigger. The Christensen has both and a barrel that handles heat better.

Reactions: long range sponge
I have no experience with any CA rifle so I can't speak to their quality. Trigger Tech usually runs sales for 4th of July I believe. You could grab a KRG Bravo for your Remmy. Those 2 upgrades would cost around $600 if you went with the higher end Trigger Tech. Bravo would keep it reasonably light and give you detachable mag capability. Plenty of money left (compared to a custom or CA) for some more goodies like a spigot mount, ARCA rail, bipod, mags and of course ammo.

I have no experience with any CA rifle so I can't speak to their quality. Trigger Tech usually runs sales for 4th of July I believe. You could grab a KRG Bravo for your Remmy. Those 2 upgrades would cost around $600 if you went with the higher end Trigger Tech. Bravo would keep it reasonably light and give you detachable mag capability. Plenty of money left (compared to a custom or CA) for some more goodies like a spigot mount, ARCA rail, bipod, mags and of course ammo.
Definitely worth considering. My 700 is accurate so far and would benefit from a bipod where i could load the bipod to better stay on target for hits. The trouble I had the other day was no spotter and too much movement to stay on the scope for impact. I don't have a chrono and had never really shot past 250 yds so there has been a learning curve and guess and check for come up. Ballistic calc. has helped give me estimates but obviously isn't perfect. I recently traded into a Rem 700 long range in 300 win mag that is pleasing to shoot (but not cheap) and has detach. mag, trigger, and bipod mount. Truth be told if I had anticipated selling a couple guns so soon I would have held off on the 6.5 and gone with something nicer but as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: Bowtechdk28
Been thinking on this off and on all day. To be honest with a 2k budget an APR might not be your best bet. 2k is closer to their lower end rifles. Don't get me wrong those are nice too but I am afraid you might still be wanting more after the purchase. With your budget you could do a lot with your Rem 700. The Bell & Carlson is a perfectly adequate stock unless you are just wanting a different look. Adding a Trigger Tech primary or one of their other models would be a good place to start. It's the same trigger APR puts in a lot of their rifles. They can be purchased for around 175. Next I would consider having your barrel threaded for a muzzle break. Don't know what your local gunsmith would charge but it shouldn't be much. The Area 419 Hellfire works well and is self timing so you don't have to deal with thread timing or crush washers. It runs about 165. After that maybe add a bipod. Those 3 things will make a lot of difference in how your rifle feels and will cost around 6-700. Make those changes and go shoot. You will have plenty of money left over for ammo.

Edit: One other change you could make would be to change the barrel out. There are numerous Remage barrels out there and you could do the barrel swap yourself. That would only increase your expense by about 3-400.

Last edited:
I have one of APR's G2 actions. Only about 400 rounds through it, but thousands of dry fires. I bought it on preorder which was a bit of a dice roll, but it seemed like everyone loves their full rifles from APR, so I felt confident they wouldn't put their name on a bad product.

I built the rifle myself using a savage prefit barrel nut system. If you are a DIY type guy, its a good way to save some cash. Plus, if you shoot the barrel out, you can swap it yourself without sending it to a smith. I recently had a friend order an action, barrel, and trigger from Northland shooter supply. They both arrived within a week and we put the rifle together in a Friday night. Since you mention an Origin action, you can use a savage prefit on an Origin.

APR Makes fantastic rifles. I'm an 07FFL, small potatoes as far as production. I build race ready AR's and do Cerakote work and things like that. I do some custom bolt guns as well. Before I had my lathe APR did my barreled actions, every one was a fantastic base. My favorite rifle is my 7 SAUM with the 28" bartlein barrel that APR did the barreled action, shoots 1/4 MOA @ 100 with no issues. Rifle has been to 2k yards so far and going further as soon as I can make it back down to Valdina ranch.