• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Alaska Article Comment thread with more images.

Modern Hunting rifles with the ability to open up options on a wider variety of game in a much greater array of situations

This...

You can actually dope these rifles and practice with them, develop data out to distance

Reactions: rope
I need to bring those two up to Upper Susitna next summer when your back up. Hear more about that hunt over some wings @Sheep creek.

@rope - didnt you have a crazy close shot on a moose in a willow thicket a few years back?

I have a spooky momma moose story from when I was working in Soldotna. Been close to a lotta bears, never as scared as a charging momma moose!

Reactions: rope
Great memory, I was coming out of the willows and he was in the burn. He was
1398F2AB-640A-4FEF-9B56-6CC8A37AFDE9.jpeg
a 55” charging bull moose at less than 5 yards and closing with 6.5 SAUM. Took almost 2 hours to cut a path to get the wheeler there.
@rope - didnt you have a crazy close shot on a moose in a willow thicket a few years back?

I have a spooky momma moose story from when I was working in Soldotna. Been close to a lotta bears, never as scared as a charging momma moose.

Wings, our favorite past time,

I would have to call Jessi ahead of time to order more, we killed like a 150 last time, just between you and I
Pre order would be a good idea, wouldn’t want them to run out. I need to get back out with you, Marc and all the guys y’all have done a fantastic job of creating one hell of a community. Stupid work always getting in the way.

Reactions: Lowlight
I enjoyed reading about your opportunity to get away and I'm jealous. Congratulations on having a great time.

Frank, When do you plan on returning?

What about something like a Springfield M1A Scout rifle for dangerous game?

Great write-up and an outstanding trip!

What about something like a Springfield M1A Scout rifle for dangerous game?

Great write-up and an outstanding trip!
Im not sure.
My good friend Paul guided up there for years and still hunts for he and his wife (though she shoots more moose than him!).

He says his preference is a CRF bolt gun in a solid chambering. If in big grizzly country (which he is) he likes the 338 WM. He also carries a large bore revolver (475 Linebaugh).

He has more than a couple stories of rifles having trouble with sand, grit, ice, etc, and thats how he got to where he is.
His wife runs a G20 with hardcast and a 30'06 when she hunts. Never had a grizz problem, so no idea how she would fare, but my bet would be just fine, as she is a hardened AK bush woman and would be cool headed.

So, not my thoughts, but from a guy who has been feeding his family off hunting in AK since 1979

God I miss Alaska! My dad lived/died there. I went to East Anchorage high school. It was majestic. So many awesome memories.