• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All Active Marines should take a peek at this.

ArmaHeavy

General of the Army
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
I think you guys might have gotten a new posting, OCONUS wise.

Here's the original Article.

The United States will deploy up to 2,500 Marines to Australia as the nations expand their 60-year-old military alliance, President Barack Obama said Wednesday in a move that rankled China.
Stressing the rising economic influence of the Asia-Pacific, Obama told reporters in Canberra he was stepping up Washington's commitment to the region, undaunted by China, which he said America did not fear.
"The notion that we fear China is a mistake. The notion that we are looking to exclude China is a mistake," Obama said.
The self-declared "Pacific President" told reporters at a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard that when it came to the fast-growing region: "We are here to stay."
"This is a region of huge strategic importance to us," he said.
"And we are going to make sure that we are able to fulfil our leadership goal in the Asia-Pacific region."
The deployment of US Marines to Australia's tropical north came as the allies adapted their military posture to face a new security era marked by the rise of China, which sparked an immediate negative response from Beijing.
"It may not be quite appropriate to intensify and expand military alliances and may not be in the interest of countries within this region," China's foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said.
The first deployment of around 250 US Marines will be sent to Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory in mid-2012, kicking off a rotating six-month presence of as many as 2,500 US troops Down Under.
"It is a new agreement to expand the existing collaboration between the Australian Defence Force and the US Marine Corps and the US Air Force," Gillard said.
"Over a number of years we intend to build on this in a staged way."
The troops will conduct exercises and training on a rotational basis on Australian bases with the Australian Defence Force as the US rebalances its military in Asia and draws down forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The leaders also agreed to enhance cooperation between their air forces that will result in increased rotations of US aircraft through northern Australia, which is closer to Asia than it is to Sydney and Melbourne.
Obama said the announcement of the joint task force and his trip to the booming Asia-Pacific, which began Wednesday with his arrival in Canberra, sent a clear signal to America's allies in the region.
"We are two Pacific nations and with my visit to the region I am making it clear that the United States is stepping up its commitment to the entire Asia-Pacific," he said.
"This deepening of our alliance sends a clear message of our commitment to this region, a commitment that is enduring and unwavering," he added ahead of the East Asia Summit in Bali later this week.
Washington appears to be sending a signal to China and its expanding military with its deployment in Australia, but also wants to extend its capability to deploy for disaster relief missions in Southeast Asia.
Obama insisted that the boosted military alliance should not be seen as a threat to China.
The US leader added that Washington had no desire to exclude China from a new initiative to frame a Trans-Pacific Partnership to better integrate the region's booming economies to promote growth.
But he said that to join the grouping once it is up and running in the future, Beijing would have to live up to international standards on issues like copyright enforcement and intellectual property.
Obama has hardened his tone on China in recent weeks, expressing frustration at Beijing's failure to do more to allow the yuan to reach a fair market level and venting at China's performance on protecting US innovation.
"The main message that I've said not only publicly but also privately to the Chinese is that with their rise comes increased responsibility," he said.
China is a major trading partner for Australia, where its voracious demand for minerals and energy has helped underpin the national economy's strength.

Re: All Active Marines should take a peek at this.

There was always talk of them doing this when I was in, and I always wanted to go there. Being on the east coast so much I never made it. Hopefully it will replace the UDP to Okie; the rock just plain sucks!

Glad to see the partnership building, and Aussies.... Hide your women!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully it will replace the UDP to Okie; the rock just plain sucks!</div></div>

You mean you don't miss the good times that can be had at Camp Schwab?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully it will replace the UDP to Okie; the rock just plain sucks!</div></div>

You mean you don't miss the good times that can be had at Camp Schwab?</div></div> No.... Not in the least.

I heard this on the radio,and it had me wondering if ,the pacify Okinawa movement had anything to do with it.

You know ,base closures,locals protesting etc.

Seems they are looking to relocate a lot if not all the military bases there.
Okinawa has alot of Americans there,maybe more there than any where else over seas,excluding combat deployments.
I would love a trip to Austrailia too.
As far as China goes,,yeah they better a better plan than War plane Orange or whatever.

I've been thinking we needed to get the Marines out of Okie ever since I first went there. Yes, you have the advantages of the NTA and the jungle training it offers, but other than that it is entirely too restrictive on training. There are far better options in the world, and pre-staging for rapid deployment in this day and age can be accomplished anywhere in the Pacific. There's always Korea anyhow.

Having Kadena there carries a strategic advantage, but the ground troops really isn't. I'd rather dump our cash where it's appreciated and a real ally, which Okinawa/Japan isn't in my opinion. The constant protests outside the gates there are proof of that, along with one quick look at who's fighting along side us in Afghanistan, and who isn't.

Marines, you lucky SOB's, Australia has more women than men.

If the Aussie chicks are anything like Lois Griffin...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_2M7ckkxQLU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_2M7ckkxQLU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marines, you lucky SOB's, Australia has more women than men.

If the Aussie chicks are anything like Lois Griffin...

</div></div>
We lost Subic bay in the Phillipines, which had room for a MAU/MEU, and the Japanese are always pushing us in Oki. We built barracks on Guam (too close to Hawaii) to take up the slack and have had to station Grunts in 29 Palms, which is way to close to Pendleton. There is very little appropriate room for a base for the 3rd Marine Div in the US if it was forced to return.
But Australia is as unpopulated a place as you will find. They like Americans, and remember the Marines who came there after Guadalcanal. They really felt the Marines saved them from the Japanese Invasion at the time. Darwin inself was bombed to hell by the Japs.
The Austalian men aren't near as enthusiastic about women as americans, especially Marines.
Stationing a Brigade with arty, tracks, tanks, and helos there would be great. There is plenty of room to train, thousads of miles of beaches, vast empty areas for live fire and manuevers up to and well beyond Brigade sized formations.
It is win'win and a wonderful climate and terrain. Magnificent beaches. Cooperative and enthusiastic women, Reasonable cost of living. Potent brew.
The Army has bases all over Europe. the Marines need a forward deployed formation in the East. It would be a great duty station.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and Aussies.... Hide your women!</div></div>

the ones up there you guys can have

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and Aussies.... Hide your women!</div></div>

the ones up there you guys can have</div></div>

You gotta remember mate, to you they might be just 'eh'. ..To us, they are exotic and new.

And lets face it, it's marines. I thought guys in the army were indiscriminate...until I met a few marines. Just hearing the stories made me want to shower with steel wool! haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and Aussies.... Hide your women!</div></div>

the ones up there you guys can have </div></div>They'll end up with the ones that cost lol
Now remember to come on to visit yur allies in NZ-and spend your cash

I welcome any US Military presence in Australia, I have worked with US Forces here at home and in many places around the globe. What I object to is the statement: "And we are going to make sure that we are able to fulfil our leadership goal in the Asia-Pacific region." To me that implies that Australian Forces are inferior to the US and need leadership, those of you that have worked with Aussies should know that this is not true. Hopefully this was just poor political speech writing.

Forward deploying Marines in the Pacific is a less than subtle message to China.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barneybdb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "And we are going to make sure that we are able to fulfil our leadership goal in the Asia-Pacific region." To me that implies that Australian Forces are inferior to the US and need leadership, those of you that have worked with Aussies should know that this is not true.</div></div>

I didn't catch that implication the first time I read it, good thinking. I agree with you, the few Aussies I had the pleasure of working with actually used common sense, so I'd say they are a giant leap ahead of our regular forces haha
I guess I'm a nutcase, but "fulfilling our leadership role" to me says "making them do what we want". So much for democracy

Auzzieland............. Oh the memories! What happens on West- Pac stays on West-Pac. ROFL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Auzzieland............. Oh the memories! What happens on West- Pac stays on West-Pac. ROFL! </div></div>

It's OK Robot Doc, don't ask don't tell is over now.